PDA

View Full Version : Another Reason NOT to Trust Penske on Unification

pchall
06-27-04, 06:56 AM
This story confirms the forums scuttlebutt of the the last week, which said the Gentilozzi called Penske to set up a meeting and see what kind of hand he had to play.

It also contains an interesting Penske revelation: "I've worked with Tony for four years; I see a good product and I see progress. "

Let's see, this is Team Marlboro Penske's third season of full-time IRL competition. I suppose that fourth year working with Tony was spent trying to gut CART from within while seeing what he could milk out of the IMS/IRL?

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1830070

Just Say No to Unification!

cart7
06-27-04, 07:27 AM
Reunification is certainly a sensitive topic in the IRL camp. League officials were reportedly not impressed with a one-line quote in the Hampton Virginian-Pilot attributed to defending IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon, who said the open-wheel split created by the formation of the IRL in 1996 "has been killing the sport since it started" and that what is needed is "one solid series that everybody can concentrate on."
:laugh:

Ziggy
06-27-04, 08:55 AM
Roger was trying to torpedo CART before he left. Spacergate was his doing. Im sure the Earl does nothing without contacting Captain Liverspots.

Funny thing is, if it all goes belly up, Penske will head to stockcar land without missing a beat, Fatassi's trucks will be drafting the move south.

Turn7
06-27-04, 09:16 AM
ala Cal Wells.

Chaos
06-27-04, 09:47 AM
Reunification is certainly a sensitive topic in the IRL camp. League officials were reportedly not impressed with a one-line quote in the Hampton Virginian-Pilot attributed to defending IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon, who said the open-wheel split created by the formation of the IRL in 1996 "has been killing the sport since it started" and that what is needed is "one solid series that everybody can concentrate on."
:laugh:

let me guess...the quote was taken out of context

eiregosod
06-27-04, 10:16 AM
must suck to be Roger, iwhen someone else is now pulling his Indy-strings

SurfaceUnits
06-27-04, 10:38 AM
Well darn, sounds like it won't happen. [clinton mode] fake tear, biting bottom lip [/clinton mode] :rofl:

Rogue Leader
06-27-04, 11:41 AM
"I don't feel Tony needs to yield," Unser said. "He's yielded as much as he possibly can. I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but from what I have heard, Tony has done what he can to unify or bring the two series together. He's come to the table every time with an open mind. The proof of it is sitting in this paddock -- Ganassi, Patrick, Penske, Rahal, Fernandez&I could keep going down the list. That's proof enough that this is where you need to be in America."

Its called money you 'tard!

George hasnt done CRAP... hes aimed to drive CART into the ground... Why dont you have another beer Al...

Mike Kellner
06-27-04, 12:43 PM
""I don't feel Tony needs to yield," Unser said. "He's yielded as much as he possibly can. I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but from what I have heard, Tony has done what he can to unify or bring the two series together. He's come to the table every time with an open mind. The proof of it is sitting in this paddock -- Ganassi, Patrick, Penske, Rahal, Fernandez&I could keep going down the list. That's proof enough that this is where you need to be in America."

Fat Al

I tell ya, he is going to make a great propaganda minister once he gets too slow to qualify. He did learn something at Penske.

fourrunner
06-27-04, 01:47 PM
Little Al looks 60 years old ... thinks 80 with Alstheimers !

I never looked at him as very bright, good racer ages ago, but not very bright .... he just follows whoever is paying the check ... I'm sure at every race he sees 100,000 fans in the seats and he's still with Penske ... instead of the pathetic hardship case he has become... He is the first true "Welfare Case" in Racing ... if he had dignity he would have retired ages ago, But he doesn't have any dignity! So this is what you become!!

RaceChic
06-27-04, 01:57 PM
And look what the guy wrote not too long before it: Roger Penske Defends IRL Path (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/10324/)

Penske said Sunday morning that changes within the past two weeks -- including the defections of Adrian Fernandez and Bobby Rahal from the Champ Car World Series -- have only reiterated Penske’s move from CART to the IRL IndyCar Series in 2001.Blah, blah, blah..... <SNIP>

Penske stopped short of proclaiming the IRL the victor in the nine-year battle for control of U.S. open-wheel racing, but he indicated the momentum is on his side -- and the IRL’s.

Blah, blah, blah.... <SNIP>

In January, IRL founder Tony George lost a court battle with Gentilozzi and fellow Champ Car owners Kevin Kalkhoven and Gerald Forsythe, who had formed Open Wheel Racing Series in an effort to resurrect the bankrupt shell of CART. With no TV contract and waning sponsorship support, the trio reportedly is funding much of the series out-of-pocket.

"It’s an expensive dance to support OWRS just to run a couple of cars," Penske said. "They could come over here and run with the best guys in the business."

Reunification for the better good my butt. :flame:

Dougrun
06-27-04, 02:06 PM
penske, rahal are old school. We have a new school and I like it. I wish people would stop dwelling on the past. Screw the so called "big names" in racing. We're the stronger series by the numbers and they are in the biggest case of denial I've ever seen.

Methanolandbrats
06-27-04, 07:16 PM
penske, rahal are old school. We have a new school and I like it. I wish people would stop dwelling on the past. Screw the so called "big names" in racing. We're the stronger series by the numbers and they are in the biggest case of denial I've ever seen. Exactly. The Russian Revolution applies here. Just line the old-schoolers up and shoot them. That's the only way to start over. By doing that the future is an unknown, but going backwards will be repeating mistakes.

FanofMario
06-28-04, 01:53 AM
This in the Spindy Star also makes you wonder. Please note the last line.:thumdown:
http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/158114-8196-036.html

Lizzerd
06-28-04, 02:10 AM
Penske said he didn't want to meet with Gentilozzi alone, and he told IRL founder and president Tony George before the June 22 meeting in Pontiac, Mich. Penske and George talked briefly after the meeting, too.

I seem to recall seeing a quote from Boy George somewhere in which he said he didn't know what Penske was up to and knew nothing about the meeting. Anybody else remember that?

Edit: I found it!

Indy Racing League team owner Roger Penske discussed a possible unification of open-wheel racing this week with the owners of the Champ Car series, but IRL president Tony George said Thursday that he was not involved.

George's participation is crucial if the IRL and Champ Car are to come together in any meaningful way.

"I am totally out of the loop on this one," George said from Richmond, Va., where the IRL will race Saturday night. "And it's hard to conduct negotiations by yourself."

4wheeldrifter
06-28-04, 08:25 AM
""I don't feel Tony needs to yield," Unser said. "He's yielded as much as he possibly can. I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but from what I have heard, Tony has done what he can to unify or bring the two series together. He's come to the table every time with an open mind. The proof of it is sitting in this paddock -- Ganassi, Patrick, Penske, Rahal, Fernandez&I could keep going down the list. That's proof enough that this is where you need to be in America."

Proof indeed that a mind is a terrible thing to waste. :thumdown:

Al,

Inertia from once great names can carry one only so far. If the public ain't buyin' yer mularkey, I don't care if every team name has "Earnhardt" in it somewhere. Still isn't gonna save ya. You're seeing that now with Indy itself. But you and the boys keep ridin it into the ground like Slim Pickin's on the back of that nuke. We here will be waiting for the bright flash of light.

mueber
06-28-04, 08:40 AM
Does anyone NEED another reason not to trust Roger Penske on anything? :rolleyes:

If Gentilozzi did in fact contact Captain Hypocrisy, it is not a good thing. Keep your eyes on the prize guys. The prize is a strong OWRS. What happens to the Gomer League is irrelevant.

scanman
06-28-04, 10:19 AM
If Gentilozzi did in fact contact Captain Hypocrisy, it is not a good thing.
That's the part I don't like...I know if two sides want to get together, one
has to start the process...Come on PG, don't chicken out now, the cold feet
should be warmer now...some great races coming up... :thumbup:

sundaydriver2
06-28-04, 10:21 AM
I want to know if Paul G did in fact contact Penske first. Somehow I find this hard to believe. Especially after reading some of the comments by OWRS.

Just say NO to a merger of ANY kind.

Chief
06-28-04, 02:25 PM
It's doesn't really matter either way....TG isn't gonna give up ANY control so it's all moot. There will be no reunification, just another trial balloon of despair.

SurfaceUnits
06-28-04, 07:07 PM
Just more F.U.D. when ChampCar is negotiating with venues for 2005 and beyond

Madmaxfan2
06-28-04, 07:28 PM
This is the end of window of opportunity for unification. The split is now most likely permanent. Most ovals, especially the high banked kind, are just not challeging or suited to formula car racing. Ironically, Indy's flat track is still one of the few ovals that still presents a challenge to the formula cars.