PDA

View Full Version : CARROT???

stroker
06-26-04, 11:25 PM
Robin Miller's new piece: http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/11745/

"This subject has been talked to death and I imagine the fans are fed up, it's like a carrot bing dangled in front of their noses," said Franchitti, who tied Juan Montoya for the 1999 CART title and lost on a tie-breaker.

Maybe it's just me, but I read this line and laughed out loud. "Carrot? Carrot? " I thought, "More like a fresh dog crap!"

Seriously--I understand the appeal of the idea from a strategic perspective, but tactically I can't think of anything the IRL has that I would want to incorporate into Champ Car racing... :shakehead

pchall
06-27-04, 07:21 AM
Seriously--I understand the appeal of the idea from a strategic perspective, but tactically I can't think of anything the IRL has that I would want to incorporate into Champ Car racing... :shakehead

Good insight. Just what would Tony George, Brian Barnhardt, Dallara, G-Force, and Toyota, Honda and Chevworth's gutless wonders of 3.0l NA V8s on a bunch of highbanked ovals add construtively to OWRS/Champcar? It would be like adding a 12 barge tow behind a Cigarette boat.

Railbird
06-27-04, 07:36 AM
Just what would Tony George, Brian Barnhardt, Dallara, G-Force, and Toyota, Honda and Chevworth's gutless wonders of 3.0l NA V8s on a bunch of highbanked ovals add

Exactly my thoughts. While I'm not quite stupid enough to not see the advantage of a single series, I have no desire to see that formula or that management involved in any way.

They can't sell it in their own hometown so why would anybody think it could prove successful elsewhere?

At this point in time all they have going for them is manufacture's money and we all know where that will lead.

cart7
06-27-04, 07:37 AM
"We identified what pieces are aligned and what pieces aren't aligned," he continued.
"And we tried not to disuss things that wouldn't bring things to an abrupt end.
It was a good open discussion and I didn't walk away from the meeting feeling there was a separate agenda."

PG - How's that 3.0 Toyota package runnin Rog?

RP - It sucks, no power and I can't seem to get Hornish to finish a race.

PG - So how's the weather there?

RP - Pretty humid though I'm sure a cool down will happen soon.

PG - Think I could get one of those Marlboro hats?

RP - Yeah, I'll drop one in the mail tomorrow.

PG - This went well, I feel some progress on our differences.

RP - We'll all have to do lunch soon. I'll have my service call yours.

PG - Goodbye

RP - Goodbye

:rolleyes:

pchall
06-27-04, 12:40 PM
[B]

RP - We'll all have to do lunch soon. I'll have my service call yours.

All we seem to need is to have a couple of rabid champcar fans doing the concierge service for Penske and Gentilozzii....

Coldfart
06-27-04, 01:03 PM
"This subject has been talked to death and I imagine the fans are fed up, it's like a carrot bing dangled in front of their noses," said Franchitti

Maybe it's just me, but I read this line and laughed out loud. "Carrot?

You have to understand, it's how they get Dario's sister-in-law to move from one farm to another.

RaceGrrl
06-27-04, 02:05 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! Oh man. That was a good one. :D :rofl: :D

Madmaxfan2
06-27-04, 09:42 PM
Boy, reading this piece seams to indicate that OWRS is no paper tiger, and that the good ole days of CARTcannot be had without the champ cars back. There is only one way this this going to work. One sanctioning body for all events counting toward the championship. No co-sanctioning for one body for the road racing events, another for the oval events. The CART series ran this way for many years with the USAC gomers running the INDY 500 until two years into the IRL era. No leadership role for TG, or any other Indiana connected good old boys. Th Indy 500 must be an independent race that must stand on it's own. The HQ building will not be located at 16th and Georgetown, or anywhere else in Speedway Indiana. Growth must not be sacrificed for the sake of preserving the month of May. Number of ovals must be cut. I was very bored looking at the Richmond race. It made me question the valve of oval diversity. Technology must not be forsaked to cut costs, because such a strategy will cut an important part of the fan base, techno-nuts like me. The rules must be revelant to advancing the state of automotive technology.