PDA

View Full Version : FIA happy with Ralf crash handling

oddlycalm
06-24-04, 01:37 PM
They can say what they want, but they need to take a hard look at their procedure. If the car had been on fire or if he had been bleeding heavily he would have likely died waiting for a street car to do nearly an entire lap, and within sight of the pits. Compared to what happens in the US the accident response looked more like a club race than a world class event.

FIA comments on the handling of Ralph's crash (http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=55293)

oc

RichK
06-24-04, 02:02 PM
I agree, except that an SCCA club racer would never have waited that long.

RacinM3
06-24-04, 03:43 PM
I'm with RichK.

Sean O'Gorman
06-24-04, 03:52 PM
If I were Ralf I'd go and kick every single one of those FIA members in the crotch for thinking that what happened on Sunday was an acceptable practice.

Steve99
06-24-04, 06:41 PM
Has Ralf said anything about the wait?

I'm also expecting him to say that they shouldn't race at Indy because turn 13 is too dangerous.

Steve99
06-24-04, 06:45 PM
We require emergency personnel to arrive at an incident within two minutes - this was achieved and we are therefore satisfied with the response time.

Is this true? I thought it took them longer than that? Or did the people who aren't allowed to do anything get there within two minutes?

jonovision_man
06-24-04, 08:32 PM
They were there within 2 minutes, it just seemed longer. It was about 20-40s before the pit stops started, then 30-40 for the pit stops, when they were exitting the safety crew was arriving at the scene.

A big :thumdown: to the FIA on this one, that's not acceptable. I guess if you were in a car accident on the street it would take much longer than that for a response, but given the inherent danger of racing and the kind of $$$ involved here they should be there a lot quicker. Usually they are.

Lizzerd
06-24-04, 11:15 PM
As has already been said, two minutes for the medical crew is ridiculous. Just ask Alex. No, he wouldn't know... ask Doctor Trammel.

Andrew Longman
06-25-04, 11:52 AM
Is this true? I thought it took them longer than that? Or did the people who aren't allowed to do anything get there within two minutes?

A safety worker was there in under 2 min but had no ability to do anything meaningful to help.

It was 3 minutes 17 seconds until a medical person was there who could actually help Ralf.

Good thing we wasn't hurt more badly. This would never happen in Champcar or IRL. Even Nascar is better.

RacinM3
06-25-04, 01:24 PM
That article calls it a 'horrific' crash. While it was a good smack, I'd hardly call it horrific.

Steve99
06-25-04, 02:47 PM
That article calls it a 'horrific' crash. While it was a good smack, I'd hardly call it horrific.

If you are used to [watching] oval racing that was just a fairly typical spin and crash (and no flying car). But for F1 that type of crash looked pretty bad.

I hear now that Max Mosley is using this as another excuse to slow the cars down. This had nothing to do with speed since it was caused by a tire problem. Maybe they should clean up the carbon fibre shards from the track? :rolleyes:

oddlycalm
06-25-04, 04:22 PM
Maybe they should clean up the carbon fibre shards from the track? :rolleyes:

Agreed, and they can start by cleaning out the vacant space between Max's ears.

oc

pchall
06-25-04, 09:22 PM

oc

I've been thinking that it is solid bone there.

nissan gtp
06-25-04, 09:28 PM
my guess it that Dr Sid will have something to say about this. Whether we ever hear about it.... well, you never know.

Frau Ralf should speak up too.

No excuse for this.
None.

ilferrari
06-26-04, 08:18 AM

oc

Latest news is that Max is considering three wheels on his next breed of Grand Prix cars

The Doctor
06-26-04, 11:28 AM
A safety worker was there in under 2 min but had no ability to do anything meaningful to help.

It was 3 minutes 17 seconds until a medical person was there who could actually help Ralf.

Good thing we wasn't hurt more badly. This would never happen in Champcar or IRL. Even Nascar is better.

I had gone back and re-watched that portion of the race and it took 101 seconds for anyone to get to Ralf at all. I don't understand how anyone in the FIA could possibly be satisfied with the reaction time. Quite simply it was extremely frightening to sit there and watch Ralf lying in the middle of the track with his head slumped off to the left side of the cockpit for so long and with nobody helping him. Hopefully Prof Watkins and the GPDA get together and beat some sense into Max and the FIA Gang.

oddlycalm
06-27-04, 08:09 PM
I had gone back and re-watched that portion of the race and it took 101 seconds for anyone to get to Ralf at all. I don't understand how anyone in the FIA could possibly be satisfied with the reaction time.

Max reminds me of the old Richard Pryor routine about what to do if caught in the act with another woman by one's wife; "Who you gonna believe baby, me or your lyin' eyes....? :D

oc