PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 0.9 released

dando
06-23-04, 06:46 PM
FYI for you fellow Firefox users out there.

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
06-23-04, 07:27 PM
Why would I want Firefox instead of the Mozilla browser I use now? (nrc uses Linux) For most things, Mozilla is fine. Sometimes I have to use IE if a page won't load -usually because I'm too lazy to tinker with the pop-up blocker settings. Is Firefox just a geek thing?

:waitsforsomeonetomakefunofthequestion:

dando
06-23-04, 07:36 PM
Firefox is the next generation Mozilla browser. It contains the best features of the Mozilla 1.x browser (integrated popup blocker, tabbed browsing, etc.), but has a leaner codebase and an improved (quicker) rendering engine. Here's a linky (http://mozilla.org/products/firefox/) for more details on the features. And yeah, it is something of a geek thing. ;)

-Kevin

Cam
06-23-04, 07:57 PM
Just upgrade to Moz 1.7 Grrl...... You get the same thing basically... ;)

Ziggy
06-23-04, 08:07 PM
You know Im all over that Cam, be seeing ya!

CRASH, BANG, BOOM, :\,\ erase oops dang dang double dang

Cam
06-23-04, 08:08 PM
You know Im all over that Cam, be seeing ya!

CRASH, BANG, BOOM, :\,\ erase oops dang dang double dang

HAHAHAHA!!!! Yeah I can just see the results of that!

You know how it can be done! :p

nrc
06-23-04, 08:53 PM
I run Firefox with Evolution for email. I haven't suggested Firefox to replace Mozilla for RaceGrrl because the last time I checked Thunderbird was still missing some Mozilla email features.

If you do any web development try the web development extension for Firefox 0.9. Tons of handy features including the ability to tinker with any page's CSS on the fly and see the affects immediately.

IlliniRacer
06-23-04, 09:30 PM
I've been using it for about a week and love it!

OpenSource for Open Minds!!!

Cam
06-23-04, 09:32 PM
OpenSource for Open Minds!!!
:thumbup:

Cam
06-23-04, 09:36 PM
I run Firefox with Evolution for email. I haven't suggested Firefox to replace Mozilla for RaceGrrl because the last time I checked Thunderbird was still missing some Mozilla email features.

I would.... But I have become way to used to the integrated browser and Email. Therefore Moz it is. for anyway....

CART T. Katz
06-23-04, 09:45 PM
<-- opera user

tabbed interface
integrated e-mail
mouse gestures (yes i know there is a moz plugin for that)

couldn't be happier.

at least it's not micro$oft ie

Cam
06-23-04, 11:09 PM
<-- opera user

tabbed interface
integrated e-mail
mouse gestures (yes i know there is a moz plugin for that)

couldn't be happier.

at least it's not micro$oft ie

Just out of curiosity.... Free verion or have you paid for the bannerlsess version? I have Opera as well.... But have never really been impressed by it, I like some of the things it has but it has a lot of annoyances too.....

Mind you.... It was Opera that I used to win myWireless Logitch Keyboard and Mouse... The auto-refresh is something Mozilla needs to add....

CART T. Katz
06-24-04, 12:21 AM
Just out of curiosity.... Free verion or have you paid for the bannerlsess version? I have Opera as well.... But have never really been impressed by it, I like some of the things it has but it has a lot of annoyances too.....

Mind you.... It was Opera that I used to win myWireless Logitch Keyboard and Mouse... The auto-refresh is something Mozilla needs to add....

let's say that i have *ahem* "aquired" a version that was the paid for version. ;)

the only problem i have with opera is that most web designers only code for ie. netscape is supported maybe 90% of the time and then moz/firebird/fox 80%. opera is included in webcode tops, about 5% of the time. those are the ones that are coded to work with all browsers. :flame: that number needs to change.

thankfully oc works fine with opera. :)

Cam
06-24-04, 12:39 AM
Anything that doesnt pass the w3c HTML test should be kicked of the intarweb! :D

Insomniac
06-24-04, 08:15 AM
let's say that i have *ahem* "aquired" a version that was the paid for version. ;)

the only problem i have with opera is that most web designers only code for ie. netscape is supported maybe 90% of the time and then moz/firebird/fox 80%. opera is included in webcode tops, about 5% of the time. those are the ones that are coded to work with all browsers. :flame: that number needs to change.

thankfully oc works fine with opera. :)

The good developers code to standards and blame the browser mnufacturer that doesn't render it right for the issues. ;) It's almost always a given, if it loads in Mozilla or Opera it will load in IE, but for some reason, it doesn't work the other way. I wonder why?

racer2c
06-24-04, 10:31 AM
Anything that doesnt pass the w3c HTML test should be kicked of the intarweb! :D

We wouldn't have an internet.

Cam
06-24-04, 10:40 AM
We wouldn't have an internet.

Actually we would. Micro$oft was late getting onto the boat. But of course once they did get on board, did their usual embrace and extend. :rolleyes:

Chaos
06-24-04, 10:52 AM
just an fyi, netscape IS mozilla, just with a few extra buttons and such

dando
06-24-04, 02:30 PM
just an fyi, netscape IS mozilla, just with a few extra buttons and such
It was to a point, but Moz dev is now separate from NS browser dev (@ least where that was left off or ended). NS 7.1 was the last NS browser release, which is a few revs behind moz 1.7. NS 7.2 was recently announced to get caught up to a point. Not sure how much longer that will continue, tho.

-Kevin

Chaos
06-24-04, 02:34 PM
true, netsacape is a couple of versions behind mozilla, but the meat of the program is the same.

racer2c
06-24-04, 02:40 PM
Actually we would. Micro$oft was late getting onto the boat. But of course once they did get on board, did their usual embrace and extend. :rolleyes:

My point was aimed at the vastness of non- WC3 compliant websites. I've been a corporate web designer for seven years and WC3 standards are a non-issue. Sometimes it will come up in conversation from time to time, but never as a mandate. With that said I like XHTML and XML.

nz_climber
06-24-04, 04:19 PM

Firefox user here -
the only sites i have problems with are mickysoft ones!

Cam
06-25-04, 09:17 AM
Yet another (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5247187.html) reason to use mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org/) or firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)! :eek:

Opposite Lock
06-25-04, 11:40 AM
I'm a complete noob when it comes to alternative browsers than IE - does Race Director function as well or better with Mozilla?

eiregosod
06-25-04, 09:42 PM
I was having trouble with coolwebsearch on my PC, the latest variant is nasty & adaaware was having trouble removing it altogether.

switched to Firefox, it has all the stuff I had on my IE before, google searchbar, pop-up blocker :)

ChampcarShark
06-28-04, 12:01 PM
Firefox is great, unfortunately not all the lazy web developers will make their sites compatible.

Specialy those developers hooked on M$$ software.

Netscape, Mozilla come in when the page does not work properly on Firefox.

Firefox is highly recommended by me.
(does that makes me a geek too????)

ilferrari
07-15-04, 08:06 PM
I would just like to give my thumbs up to FireFox (I'm viewing this with 0.92) and correct some people by saying it is very different from the previous Mozilla browser. I thought the Mozilla browser was poor actually, a touched-up version of Netscape Navigator. But I downloaded this and so far, I can't beleive how fast and slick and feature-rich it is.

I tried Opera aswell, that's quite good in terms of features and interface but doesn't perform as well as FireFox. And you put up with an ad banner unless you pay or crack it.

Internet Explorer is good, but so far I think FireFox is better (and without the security holes...)