PDA

View Full Version : Help us keep Portland gomer free.

Michaelhatesfans
06-22-04, 08:10 PM
This is running at CW, but I wanted to post it here, as well. Contact details for some of the major players in the decision whether or not to run Champ Cars or Crapwagons at PIR next year. We're really hoping to have some letters/emails from you out of town fans who flew or drove in for the race. It's one thing for me, I live ten minutes away and pack my own lunch. Let them hear from the guys who pump money into the hotels, restaurants, airport, etc. Let them know you won't be crossing the street to watch an IRL race! By the way, Peter Jacobsen Productions is company considering promoting the IRL race...

Jim Francesconi
City Commissioner
1221 SW 4th Avenue, rm. 220
Portland, OR 97204
(503) 823-3008
jim.francesconi@ci.portland.or.us

Peter Jacobsen
Peter Jacobsen Productions
8700 SW Nimbus Ave., Ste. B
Beaverton OR 97008
f: 503.641.2957

Peter Jacobsen, Chairman and CEO
peter@pjpco.com

Vera Katz
Mayor
Commissioner of Finance and Administration
1221 SW 4th Ave, Room 340, 97204
(503)823-4120
e-mail: mayorkatz@ci.portland.or.us

Dave99
06-22-04, 08:51 PM
Has Peter Jacobsen Productions ever promoted or co-promoted CART in the last 20 years at PIR? If not, why is he considering doing so with the IRL? Why now? What's in it for him? :confused:

Michaelhatesfans
06-22-04, 09:03 PM
Has Peter Jacobsen Productions ever promoted or co-promoted CART in the last 20 years at PIR? If not, why is he considering doing so with the IRL? Why now? What's in it for him? :confused:
No, he usually does golf events, but he's one of the bigger guys in the business as far as Portland goes. As I understand it, the IRL approached him, so I suppose he will be getting a check out of it either way. Still, they have a reputation to uphold, and won't do it if they think the event might not come off well, or be well attended. I thought it would only be right to point out what he will be up against. Kind of a public service... :cool:

formulaben
06-27-04, 10:47 PM
Call me insane, but I say let 'em do it. The economics will just sort themselves out... ;)

carpfan
06-28-04, 09:16 AM
Call me insane, but I say let 'em do it. The economics will just sort themselves out... ;)

...all the while Portland losses a race.

oddlycalm
06-28-04, 01:54 PM

What is very much more likely is that Portland will simply end up with no race at all. The city would love to not have to do their job and find a sponsor for the race, and the EARL is tempting them with all manner of BS promises. Politicians need to be informed first, because they really don't know anything about this. They also generally need a boot in their tail as well. The boot I am using is the obnoxious noise level of the crapwagons.

BTW, Peter Jacobsen is a buddy of TG's and doesn't know diddle squat about motorsports promotion. He's simply a recognizable name in a secondary which makes him a perfect tewl for TG.

I have posted letters to the mayor and commisioner, but will skip Jacobsen. I've also sent letter to the local newpaper motorsports writers. It's going to take a lot more than a dozen letters however, so any help will be appreciated.

oc

formulaben
06-28-04, 06:50 PM
...all the while Portland losses a race.

I didn't say anything about OWRS going away; in fact the idea is to have BOTH series run at the same track. We would finally get an apples-to-apples comparison of the actual fan interest if the IRL came to Portland. Really, this could be a good thing. With no NASCAR package to bundle the tickets to, the tickets would have to be giveaways or purchased. Do you really think anyone would show for the race? They'd get dusted!! The last marketing survey I saw, Champcar fans are the MOST LOYAL of all motorsports fans in North America; that includes F1, IRL and Cup. I think the sure failure at Portland would end the IRL's road racing interest.

carpfan
06-28-04, 09:22 PM
I dont doubt that it would work, but it cant really happen. PIR is a city park, and therefore subjuct to noise ordinances. They only get a few exceptions a year, and I believe that they are all spoken for.