PDA

View Full Version : This week's "JV back to Williams" rumor

rabbit
06-22-04, 01:59 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/11686/

While Gene would be the logical choice to sub for Schumacher if the German is forced to miss one or more races, reports out of England suggest the Williams team is considering giving Jacques Villeneuve a mid-season audition. Fallen star Villeneuve is pinning his F1 comeback hopes on the team he won his 1997 World Championship with and stepping in mid-season would be an excellent way for the Canadian to demonstrate whether he has the speed and the commitment to return to the sport on a full-time basis.

Chaos
06-22-04, 03:43 PM
i wanna see him back. In spite of all his shortcomings, he is still a world champion. Maybe a year off humbled him.

JohnHKart
06-22-04, 07:03 PM
I've been busy, so after watching the race, I haven't gotten an update on what happened to Ralf....That's a real shame. I feel he was just starting to come back to form after his Monza testing accident. I'm a JV fan, so this will be fantastic if they bring him back.

John

Railbird
06-22-04, 07:53 PM
I know Pollock and Jacques were working the phone after it became obvious that Ralf was nicked up.

Past practice says Gene and Frank has always liked Pizzonia, as long as he wasn't jammin a Jag into a Williams, but he has certainly never written off JV in any of the interviews I've read. Would a one or two race deal give them a chance to evaluate their former champ?

Dirty Sanchez
06-22-04, 09:51 PM
No.

These rumors suck. Gene will be in that car in 10 days.

Railbird
06-22-04, 09:54 PM
oh yeah, lets not talk about rumors.

Spicoli
06-22-04, 09:59 PM
oh yeah, lets not talk about rumors.

Don't argue with Crapus. Hew has MAJOR clout at SheissWaggen :gomer:

:shakehead

:kabloweeeey:

Michaelhatesfans
06-22-04, 09:59 PM
I've been busy, so after watching the race, I haven't gotten an update on what happened to Ralf....That's a real shame. I feel he was just starting to come back to form after his Monza testing accident. I'm a JV fan, so this will be fantastic if they bring him back.

John
Weren't you the guy with the track record of big incidents happening everytime you went on vacation? If so, you weren't out of town again, were you? :cool:

Ziggy
06-22-04, 10:09 PM
I can vouch for 'bird on this deal. We have a bud that speaks with JV on the phone with regularity. Have not talked to my friend since Friday, but as of Friday, JV was working his beehind off trying to get the Williams seat (as Ralph has put pen to paper with Toyota) and it appears that Williams is looking for two drivers.

It seems to me that an Englishman would do the trick. Anthony Davidson would make them darlings of the daily's over there.

I think how were nothing but a bunch of Internet "experts" we shall wait like everyone else and see what shakes out.

Railbird
06-22-04, 10:19 PM
Anthony Davidson would make them darlings of the daily's over there.

ain't that the truth, the Brit press would be falling all over themselve if that happened.

Our bud says Pollock was in the suite Sunday and was fielding calls from Monaco shortly after Ralf got his head strapped to the board.

at the end of the day it wouldn't suprise me to see Pizzonia get the call, but we will have to wait and see.

Chaos
06-22-04, 10:25 PM
i dont get the Pizzonia rumours. Gene makes a bit more sense. But I'd still take JV over either two (I'm biased of course)

Dirty Sanchez
06-22-04, 10:46 PM
Gene is the team's reserve driver... part of that deal is to step in for either race driver in the event of injury or sickness. He performed competently last year at Monza. He is familiar with this year's car... 10000 miles probably. They are currently 4th in the constructor's chamionship... and in with a real shot at 2nd if they decide to get their act together.

Simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Villeneuve makes absolutely no sense at all... :shakehead

I do not claim to be an expert. Just a person with a brain and an opinion.

Ziggy
06-22-04, 10:54 PM
OK crapus, keep us up to speed will ya

Im digin' your brain

Ziggy

Dirty Sanchez
06-22-04, 11:01 PM
Or... you guys could make a case why Villeneuve will be in the car.

I think we both know which is easier. ;)

Ziggy
06-22-04, 11:06 PM
Hey dude, Im done. Please stop by from time to time and give us the low down. Im sorta' wantin' to know what is going on in with this Formula One stuff. Is there gonna be any Mericans in it anytime soon?

As for next season, JV will drive for free. Frank has egg on his face for getting Head to step down. JV and Patrick are friends, this could get the whole band back together

(Patrick Head, the guys I mentioned in the thread are the same guy)

Now, back to learnin' some

Thanks
Ziggy

Dirty Sanchez
06-22-04, 11:12 PM
Wow, I didn't know there could only be a finite number of opinionated *******s on here. Perhaps Spicoli got the last spot... :D

No one said you didn't know anything dude... but now you're making a case for him being in the car next year instead of next week. That's a slightly less stupid scenario, imo

p.s. Everyone knows the next American in F1 will be lifesylist Buddy Rice. Let's try to keep that between me and you though. :p

Ziggy
06-22-04, 11:22 PM
You mentioned rumors, while I was standing next to a guy talking to him on the phone......

but hey, dont let your arse get caught in the orbit of your head (not patrick, this time)

Do I think JV will be in the car for the injured Ralph? Nope, not the next race. Do I think JV will be in a Williams by the end of this season (and with the stellar results of late, one driver gone and the other just waiting to drop the hammer)

huuuummmmmmmmm, and besides, its a freakin' message board. We know you have a brain, you have a PC. Everybody on the Internet is smart.

Dirty Sanchez
06-22-04, 11:28 PM
Ok... so we basically agree then. Cool beans. :thumbup:

I'm going to retire back to the library now... and see if I can get Gene's gardener on the horn. :gomer: :rofl:

Ziggy
06-22-04, 11:35 PM
Neat smilies, you must show me how to do those. Very Knockoafish

and the gardners busy, with Gene's Mom :thumbup:

Dirty Sanchez
06-22-04, 11:39 PM
Hey dude, Im done.I don't believe you.

Not smiling.

Dr. Corkski
06-23-04, 02:30 AM
Not taking into consideration what the idiot ski instructor has been doing with his phone, it simply wouldn't make sense to put a guy, even if it's Jesus Villeneuve, that hasn't driven anything in more than half a year over a competent reserve Gene who is familiar with the car. For that same reason I don't see Pizzonia in that car either, even though most fanboys seem to ignore Sir Frank's expert opinion on him.

Then again, you would have thought it was logical not to fit 30mm oversized brake ducts on the cars.

JohnHKart
06-23-04, 08:13 AM
Weren't you the guy with the track record of big incidents happening everytime you went on vacation? If so, you weren't out of town again, were you? :cool:

Yes that is me, but no Mexican trip this time.....I did watch the race Sunday night, but I watch everything on tape delay....so that means avoiding racing news sites and programs for what can be several days while I catch up on several race series.

John

krunch
06-25-04, 04:46 AM
As far as a replacement for Ralf in the next race, I would be very surprised to see anyone other than Marc Gene in the seat for all the reasons stated in the above posts.

I read somewhere recently that JV has a test with Williams scheduled for next month along with Scott Dixon.

Railbird
06-25-04, 06:48 AM
Gene is the obvious easy choice but I would still rather see Pizzonia get another shot.

With MG you're dealing with a journeyman, with Jungle Boy you might have a chance to see a promising rook find his footing.

of course you also could find a pile of rubble but what the hell? Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Railbird
06-25-04, 07:08 AM
For what its worth (http://www.bmw.williamsf1.com/01-5F16508AFC98CCB6676077F752D79D98/ms/en/4_serien/41_f1/411_news/4111_f1/kw26/2306_02.4ml?lastSessionID=1B4E856893C6A2CA24FF632E DE185C4B)

Tim Newton (Test Team Manager, WilliamsF1): "We had a fairly productive session today, our first day back at Jerez. Antonio Pizzonia, deputising for Ralf while he recuperates from his accident in Indianapolis, spent the day developing software on the FW26 while Marc Gené concentrated on set-up work and tyre testing.”

chop456
06-25-04, 08:16 AM
I'd also like to see Pizzonia get another chance. He was a lot younger when he had his first drive in a Williams, and he was quick. I don't know that Jaguar gives anyone a real shot at showing anything.

That said, Gene will be in the car most likely, and as much as I'd like to see Jacques back in there, I think it'll be Webber and ?

Webber and Wilson would be sweet.

Dirty Sanchez
06-25-04, 10:20 AM
Marc Gene likely as Magny-Cours sub
Fri 25 Jun, 9:53 AM

Williams' 'reserve' Marc Gene spent half an hour practicing pit stops at Jerez on Thursday, intensifying speculation he'll sub for an injured Ralf Schumacher.

The Spaniard was third quickest at the 'de la Frontera' track, bettered only by Takuma Sato in the Honda-powered BAR and Kimi Raikkonen in a 'B spec' McLaren.

A Williams spokesman added Marc also tested 'various set-up options.'

David Coulthard got his first taste of the MP4-19B, but he was also outpaced by a BAR - Jenson Button went fourth quickest and Williams' Antonio Pizzonia sixth.

Toyota's Cristiano da Matta and Ryan Briscoe rounded out the times.

Over at an equally hot Barcelona test circuit, Luca Badoer set the pace in a F2004 but Ferrari leader Michael Schumacher also started work and went third.

The red cars were split by Renault's Fernando Alonso.

Dirty Sanchez
06-25-04, 10:21 AM
Should also note that Ralf will not make a decision to race or sit-out until next week... ;)

Joe in LA
06-25-04, 11:56 AM
Pizzonia was only deputized for the test. Gene has been quicker than Pizzonia in most of the testing, and certainly has shown more maturity in the races, so I would strongly suspect he will be the guy if Ralf can't race. The team has also noted it will look to its contracted drivers for the sub and is unlikely to bring in someone else (i.e. JV).

Twisty Bits
06-25-04, 12:13 PM
Or... you guys could make a case why Villeneuve will be in the car.

I think we both know which is easier. ;)

He'll be in the car, and Schumi will be wearing his tire mark on his side pod.

:rofl:

Dirty Sanchez
06-25-04, 03:12 PM
Ralf to Decide on Comeback Next Week
Friday June 25th, 2004

German Ralf Schumacher is still uncertain about his participation at next week's French Grand Prix, his Williams team said today.

"Ralf Schumacher is recuperating at his home in Austria," said Williams in a preview statement. "A decision will be taken early next week regarding his condition and whether he will be fit enough to compete in the French Grand Prix."

Schumacher ended up in hospital after a heavy accident during Sunday's United States Grand Prix, in which he lost control of his car at over 300 km/h before crashing into the wall.

"As it's only been four days since I was released from hospital following the accident in Indianapolis, I can not, at this stage, make a decision as to whether I will take part in next weekend's race in Magny-Cours," said Schumacher.

"I am taking full advantage of the two week break between Indy and France to rest and recuperate from the accident. When the time comes to make the decision, I will be guided by Professor Sid Watkins' advice and speak to Frank Williams about the best course of action."

Spanish test driver Marc Gene, who replaced Schumacher at last year's Italian Grand Prix, looks like the main candidate to race in France if the German driver fails to recover.

Gene, who also raced in 1999 and 2000 for Minardi, will be the favourite to stand in.

The Spaniard was testing at Jerez in southern Spain on Thursday where he was seen practising pitstops - not a part of a test driver's regular duties.

There has however been speculation that Williams might use the opportunity to try out another driver, such as Brazilian tester Antonio Pizzonia, as they seek a replacement for Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya next year.

Pizzonia, highly-rated by Williams, is looking for a way back into full time racing after a disappointing debut with Jaguar last year. Canadian Jacques Villeneuve, who is also looking for a comeback and has been talking to Williams, is unlikely to be summoned however.

"We have said that we will look to our own drivers first," said a Williams spokesman.

chop456
06-29-04, 06:52 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3848375.stm

Ralf Schumacher will not race at Magny-Cours on Sunday after suffering a heavy crash at the United States GP.
The BMW Williams driver has not fully recovered from the high-speed accident at Indianapolis and will also miss the British GP a week later

He crashed backwards into a wall on the fastest part of the track and spent a night in hospital.

He will be replaced at the French GP by test driver Marc Gene, who is expected to also race at Silverstone.

Railbird
06-29-04, 07:31 AM
playing it safe.

too bad.

chop456
06-29-04, 07:37 AM
I agree.

I'll hold out hope for a Webber/Jacques deal next year, though the chances of that are pretty slim. Button would be as stupid to move as Williams would be to sign him.

As I see it, the wild card in all this is Fisichella. He deserves a good ride but who's gonna' step up? I'd take him over Villeneuve for sure, but Frank's not taking my calls anymore.

Dirty Sanchez
06-29-04, 09:53 AM
What a shocker :gomer:

Webber is signed... announcement in a few weeks (I've heard as soon as Silverstone). From what I've read, Fisi seems to have pole position on the second seat. His performance this year vs. Massa has made people take notice... and it doesn't hurt that he's dusted off both Button and Sato in recent years (two guys who are making a name for themselves this year). :thumbup:

There's way too much downside with Jacques... oVVned by Button last year, Pollock, the perception that he's not a team guy, hates PR work, bad attitude... and on and on and on.

He'll probably get a test and that's it.

Dirty Sanchez
06-29-04, 01:22 PM
not so fast

Williams: No decision on Ralf today.
Tue 29 Jun, 4:03 PM

The BMW WilliamsF1 team has again postponed a decision on whether Ralf Schumacher will race in this weekend's French Grand Prix, despite previously admitting that it would be preferable to let his replacement know well in advance of the event.

The German is still recovering from the concussion and heavy bruising he sustained in a accident in the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis ten days ago, but refuses to rule himself out of the equation until every opportunity to recuperate has been taken. Test drivers Marc Gene and Antonio Pizzonia remain on stand-by for the Magny-Cours event, and are the most likely replacements despite rumours suggesting that Jacques Villeneuve could be drafted in alongside Juan Montoya.

The WilliamsF1 website reckons that a final decision on Schumacher's participation will be taken 'within the next few days' following a final round of medical checks to assess the German's condition. Schumacher missed last year's Italian Grand prix following a roll in testing that left him dazed. On that occasion, Gene stepped into the breach at short notice - actually during the race weekend - and brought home valuable points for the team.

Williams' announcement contradicts a story on the BBC website, which claims that a decision has already been taken to replace Schumacher with Gene this weekend.

The German is the defending champion at Magny-Cours - but the trip to the podium marks the last time he has legitimately finished in the top three of a grand prix.

chop456
06-29-04, 02:13 PM
See what I get for trusting the BBC? :gomer: 'ed