PDA

View Full Version : What happens to the Reynards

Methanol1
02-08-03, 12:54 AM
I am wondering how competitive the Reynards are going to be this season. If the recent test times are any indication then it does not look too good for the Reynards. Except for Jimmy, he looks like the only real competition for the Lolas. I don't want to see any manufactuers leave but at the same time I don't want to see the Reynards not competitive. But then again, last season the Reynards won some races so if last season is any indication then they just might be competitive.

I don't know.

PEACE

nrc
02-08-03, 02:06 AM
It will depend a lot on whether the improvements that Players made to their Reynards will now be put into all the Reynards. Jimmy was the only one to crack the top five in spring training, but Manning, Moreno and Hunter-Reay all turned in respectable times in Reynards considering where they are in their programs.

Wait, was Moreno really in a Reynard? That's what it lists in the results. :confused:

slashman
02-08-03, 02:09 AM
Wait, was Moreno really in a Reynard? That's what it lists in the results.

He was in a lola must be a miss print!!

Dr. Corkski
02-08-03, 07:42 AM
From the looks of it only ASTJ got their hands on the Forsythe special Reynards.

JoeBob
02-08-03, 10:34 AM
What made the Forsythe Renards "special" were new undertrays that Forsythe got submitted just before the aero freeze. He could either produce the parts himself and sell them, or sell the design for use by the Reynard teams.

There's nothing that made Forsythe's Reynards special that couldn't be attached to the rest of them - if the parts are made available.

Railbird
02-08-03, 10:49 AM
I thought Manning was pretty impressive with walker's Reynard. Give Derrick the proper inspiration, selling cars and bits, and the proper driver, Manning, and the next thing you know you'll be reminded of the Valvoline days when that team was a contender.

ChrisB
02-08-03, 11:20 AM
There's nothing that made Forsythe's Reynards special that couldn't be attached to the rest of them - if the parts are made available.

I'm lost here. Could someone please explain... are the chassis really *frozen* now, or can new parts be used if they're made available to all?

pchall
02-08-03, 12:30 PM
The major aero pieces were frozen last summer after Portland (for road course bits) and Chicago (for oval bits), if memory serves.

Any "frozen" pieces that were approved then can be used by any team that can get a hold of them. There are also areas that are still open to development.

PS: whatever happened to the guys who ran around a bit last summer claiming they had the rights to develop the 2001 Reynske aero pieces and wanted to get them approved?

JoeBob
02-08-03, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by ChrisB
I'm lost here. Could someone please explain... are the chassis really *frozen* now, or can new parts be used if they're made available to all?

Nothing new right now, although I think "update kits" will be approved for the 2004 season.

Making parts "available to all" doesn't really control costs. I could still develop a piece, and make it available to the world at an enormous price. Or, I could produce a telephone book sized list of "available parts" and make you figure out what, if anything each of them do.

From what I've heard, both of these tactics are being used in another series that allows development, as long as "parts are available to everyone."

ChrisB
02-08-03, 03:57 PM
From what I've heard, both of these tactics are being used in another series that allows development, as long as "parts are available to everyone."

I'm really thinking going to a spec chassis in '05 might be the way to go (assuming CART can get multiple engine suppliers) If you have "open" chassis development, then you get a situation like before of Carl Haas having the best stuff before everyone else. If you have a "chassis freeze" then there's only one chance to get it right at the beginning, and whoever doesn't becomes a dog until the next go-round. If you have the middle ground of "frozen but with update kits" with availabilty clauses, then you get all sorts workarounds to the rules.

For the most part, the fans don't really care about the chassis as much. Best to just put everyone in the same Lola and be done with it. It would slash costs and improve competition. Chassis constructors don't spend promo $$$ on a series... unlike engine manufacturers, in which you want as many as possible.

JLMannin
02-09-03, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by pchall
The major aero pieces were frozen last summer after Portland (for road course bits) and Chicago (for oval bits), if memory serves.

Any "frozen" pieces that were approved then can be used by any team that can get a hold of them. There are also areas that are still open to development.
What areas are open for development? I would assume that the freeze is for the wings and undertray, and that other areas of the car are open to development. Is this the case?

PS: whatever happened to the guys who ran around a bit last summer claiming they had the rights to develop the 2001 Reynske aero pieces and wanted to get them approved?
That was the outfit from North Carolina, right? (MK Motorsports???) Or was that the company that was going to make chassis for another open wheel formula? I can't remember right now.

pchall
02-09-03, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
What areas are open for development? I would assume that the freeze is for the wings and undertray, and that other areas of the car are open to development. Is this the case?

That was the outfit from North Carolina, right? (MK Motorsports???) Or was that the company that was going to make chassis for another open wheel formula? I can't remember right now.

Yes, this is the case.

No, they were not MK -- they had company name that was not initials.