PDA

View Full Version : Schumie stayed in first?

Andrew Longman
06-21-04, 03:22 PM
So how was it that he stayed in first while pitting under yellow. Varsha and the gang never gave an explanation. When Windsor asked Michael in the post race I was confused by the answer. Something about when the pace car lights went on and where it was on the track.

Between that, the odd yellow flag work, Ralph left on his own, and JPM black flag, it almost looked like NASCAR was officiating the race. :)

Cam
06-21-04, 03:32 PM
I still have not figured it out! :saywhat:

Dirty Sanchez
06-21-04, 03:37 PM
On Lap 11 MS did a 1:30.709 (including pit-stop)... Sato 1:29.915 and Button 1:26.926 (without pit-stops)

I was sitting in turn 1 and there were several moments of confusion there... but I can only guess that MS hustled it around under yellow while the BAR drivers lifted substantially in expectation of the safety car. Team's mistake, imo. Looks to me like Ferrari were thinking on their feet and made the correct call. The race was pretty much over at that point.

Andrew Longman
06-21-04, 04:02 PM
On Lap 11 MS did a 1:30.709 (including pit-stop)... Sato 1:29.915 and Button 1:26.926 (without pit-stops)

I was sitting in turn 1 and there were several moments of confusion there... but I can only guess that MS hustled it around under yellow while the BAR drivers lifted substantially in expectation of the safety car. Team's mistake, imo. Looks to me like Ferrari were thinking on their feet and made the correct call. The race was pretty much over at that point.

OK, I found this http://www.formula1.com/race/result/pitstops/722/8.html

RB and MS both pitted on L11, nine seconds apart. I take then that RB had to wait for the pit box to clear. They were off track for 24-30 seconds, fully stopped for maybe 8 of that. Added to a typical lap of 1:10 and any lead they already had, I guess its possible to come out ahead of the Hondas, but only if they let up/were held up until the SC picked them up.

Even then it seems really odd and unlikely.

In any event, it looks like BAR at minimum messed it up when they did not pit with the leaders. If they were so far back they couldn't pass them under yellow, they they were far enough back to see what was happening and call them in.

Lizzerd
06-21-04, 05:33 PM
Rubens, in P2, slowed the rest of the field to provide MS a huge gap. Big enough that MS would be in and out with RB able to pit right behind without significant delay. RB's stop was quick enough to get him out in P4, just behind the BAR's that didn't pit, but were far enough behind and going slow enough behind the safety car to not be able to pass MS while he pitted. Hence, MS was able to slot in behind the safety car still in P1.

This whole thing kinda sucks. Pits shouldn't be opened in these conditions until the field is bunched.