PDA

View Full Version : The AJ Foyt 225

JLMannin
06-21-04, 12:17 PM
:laugh:

I just saw this morning that the IRL race a Milwaukee on July 25 is "The AJ Foyt 225". They cannot even get a title sponsor.

This should make for an awesome Foyt Futility thread.

Sean O'Gorman
06-21-04, 12:19 PM
225? Damn, that Atkins diet must be doing miracles for him!

And just out of curiousity, has the race title sponsor ever crashed out of an event before?

stymie
06-21-04, 12:22 PM
The race is the MENARDS AJ Foyt 225, so John Menard did step in to sponsor a race in his company's home state.

Rob
06-21-04, 12:52 PM
This is the only way the Foyt name will ever be on another trophy.

devilmaster
06-21-04, 02:08 PM
wow. Another original idea by the IRL brain(dead)trust..... :shakehead

Steve

JLMannin
06-21-04, 03:07 PM
225? Damn, that Atkins diet must be doing miracles for him!

And just out of curiousity, has the race title sponsor ever crashed out of an event before?

Hey, that may be 225 kg! :eek:

pchall
06-21-04, 03:33 PM
At least they aren't besmirching the name of Rex Mays in a feeble attempt at upholding tradition.

RichK
06-21-04, 03:35 PM
At least they aren't besmirching the name of Rex Mays in a feeble attempt at upholding tradition.

Don't give them any ideas!

Racewriter
06-21-04, 04:27 PM
There's actually precedent for this. Back in '88 or '89 IIRC, they held the "A.J. Foyt Classic" at Milwaukee. It was promoted in part by Foyt himself, and featured the three USAC divisions and ARTGO late models.

Could be that Foyt is promoting it in part.

KobySon
06-21-04, 05:01 PM
There's actually precedent for this. Back in '88 or '89 IIRC, they held the "A.J. Foyt Classic" at Milwaukee. It was promoted in part by Foyt himself, and featured the three USAC divisions and ARTGO late models.

Could be that Foyt is promoting it in part.

Didn't Road America use Andretti's name last year after he "salvaged" the race?

Steve99
06-21-04, 05:08 PM
Didn't Road America use Andretti's name last year after he "salvaged" the race?

I think so. Probably where IRL got the idea.

Spicoli
06-21-04, 06:45 PM
The race is the MENARDS AJ Foyt 225, so John Menard did step in to sponsor a race in his company's home state.

Menards - believe it or not - was ALSO talking to CCWS about sponsoring their real race up there. Word is - Menards couldn;t get their act together and just kept tooling around with it. Never materialized.

Just how big a check is Menard's writing? I'll bet my mortgage payment is more. :gomer:

All is not well in Gomerland kids.

racer2c
06-21-04, 09:54 PM
Menards - believe it or not - was ALSO talking to CCWS about sponsoring their real race up there. Word is - Menards couldn;t get their act together and just kept tooling around with it. Never materialized.

Just how big a check is Menard's writing? I'll bet my mortgage payment is more. :gomer:

All is not well in Gomerland kids.

But Tony got a fat check from Bernie and a promise of more to come. The Head Mouth Breather will ride it to the ground.

Spicoli
06-21-04, 10:20 PM
But Tony got a fat check from Bernie and a promise of more to come. The Head Mouth Breather will ride it to the ground.

He got one from Frances too. Doesn't mean all is well in Gomerville. :gomer:
Roger's making phone calls for a reason.

Ziggy
06-21-04, 10:51 PM
Roger has a big fat series sponsor lined up..... only problem is this, the condition is that the sides have to get back together before he makes any money off of it

Amanda B.'s Mom
06-21-04, 10:58 PM
Yes, the CART race at RA in 2003 was name after Mario. This year it is the Grand Prix of Road America sponsored by the chicago Trubune

chop456
06-22-04, 03:17 AM

In an eerily similar sequence of events, A.J. once pulled off the track mid-race and exited his car in order to save a sandwich that had fallen out of the stands onto the track. Tragically, it was run over and rendered nearly inedible. Only through heroic efforts along with his decision not to abide by the 5-second rule was he able to salvage most of it.

4wheeldrifter
06-22-04, 07:22 AM
Does Menard even run a car any longer in the Irrelevant league? Sorry, I don't watch that drivel. :confused:

stymie
06-22-04, 07:46 AM
Does Menard even run a car any longer in the Irrelevant league? Sorry, I don't watch that drivel. :confused:

He does not have a team in the Series, he does sponsor the second Panther entry and the is Infinity Pro Series title sponsor.

Chaos
06-22-04, 08:45 AM
isnt Menard in some financial/legal trouble?

cheesewhiz
06-22-04, 08:51 AM
In an eerily similar sequence of events, A.J. once pulled off the track mid-race and exited his car in order to save a sandwich that had fallen out of the stands onto the track. Tragically, it was run over and rendered nearly inedible. Only through heroic efforts along with his decision not to abide by the 5-second rule was he able to salvage most of it.

Too funny!

Sadly, I sure only a few "old schoolers" get what you are talking about.

Steve99
06-22-04, 11:48 AM
But Tony got a fat check from Bernie and a promise of more to come.

I think those checks are going the other direction. Bernie's not paying FTG anything.

chop456
06-22-04, 12:16 PM
I think those checks are going the other direction. Bernie's not paying FTG anything.

There are people here in the know who will tell you that this IS a track rental deal.

KobySon
06-22-04, 12:18 PM

yep. Big sanctioning fee to F-"Just make it out to Bernie"-1. He would have to rely on gate and concessions to re-coup. I didn't pay much attention to the stands during the race. But at one point, I did notice a lot of alluminum...

I doubt that Bernie demands as much of Toeknee as he does of say, Malaysia. He has a desire to build F1 in america.

chop456
06-22-04, 01:21 PM
There are people here in the know who will tell you that this IS a track rental deal.

Hello? [tap_tap] Is this thing on?

Al Czervik
06-22-04, 04:43 PM

"If you're here, and I'm here, doesn't that make it OUR time?"

"Aloha, Mr. Hand"

FCYTravis
06-22-04, 06:14 PM
Roger's all about Roger. Always has been.

I don't doubt for a minute that he's making contingency plans for the day Toyota and Honda decide to stop shoveling out the yen for 0.4 ratings. Some part of me wants to tell him to take a short stroll down the middle of the Kettle Bottoms.

While the Champ Cars are on course.

FRP.

Spicoli
06-22-04, 08:50 PM
1. Its a track rental.

2. Menard's team personnel got into a little "trubble", but the company and fatJohn are legally OK.

3. AJ is a dick.

Chaos
06-22-04, 10:06 PM
does Foyt get to slap the winner?

Steve99
06-23-04, 10:28 AM

Since when does F1 do track rentals?

Spicoli
06-23-04, 12:02 PM
Since when does F1 do track rentals?

Since Bernie danced with the idiot.