PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch the race?

mueber
06-21-04, 09:03 AM
Is this a fan forum or not?

From the looks of it, those who watched the race have some criticisms of the coverage but no thoughts about the race itself.

I thought it was pretty good myself. Happy to see Sebastian's well earned win, and very happy to see the performace of Justin Wilson/Mi-Jack.

RaceGrrl
06-21-04, 09:07 AM
Yep. Happy that Bourdais won, glad to see AJ start so well and manage to keep up. Glad that Twitchy didn't complain at the end of the race about how Bourdais wouldn't let him pass. I do miss seeing qualifying though- that's half the fun of race weekends.

G.
06-21-04, 10:41 AM
I thought it was a very good race. Lots of passing in the back of the field. I can't believe that only Mario and Lavin were taken out in their crash. That looked like the OZ crash in the making (without the rain, of course).

2DB
06-21-04, 10:46 AM
The race that was going on between Justin and A.J. was the highlight, too bad the TV director didn't give that fight more exposure.

Kelvis

KLang
06-21-04, 10:56 AM
Was that a new record, only having one car in the weeds in turn 1 at the start?

RaceGrrl
06-21-04, 11:01 AM
The race that was going on between Justin and A.J. was the highlight, too bad the TV director didn't give that fight more exposure.

Kelvis

I was really impressed with that fight, and did think that they gave it a fair amount of attention.

pkvracing12
06-21-04, 11:15 AM
Watched the first 8 and the last three I attended my cousins graduation party

RacinM3
06-21-04, 11:20 AM
I hated seeing Sebastian win. I can't stand him. I thought he was overly arrogant before, then after his Le Mans punting episode, I wrote him off. I would have loved to see even that whiney Bruno beat him.

Newman-Haas is definitely NOT my favorite team, can you tell? I would have loved to see them take each other out (with no injuries, of course) and hand the win to Tracy.

It's nice to have someone I love to hate again. Ever since the series fell on hard times, I supressed posts like this. :thumbup:

molive
06-21-04, 11:29 AM
The whiney BJ still leads the standings, and that's what ultimately matters in a competitive series as CART.

Bruno, this is you year! :thumbup:

Railbird
06-21-04, 11:46 AM
Fastest guy in the best car won, isn't that how it's supposed to go?

I haven't watched the Spike coverage yet but the HDnet broadcast was fair at best. I too thought they teased us with just a enough Wilson/'dinger footage to let you know they were having a hell of a race but not enough to let you enjoy.

Then it was back to Sea Bass.

The race itself looked like a good one to attend.

I still don't like the mandentory option tire or the forced pit windows.

I was suprised that Stooopid Mario didn't take out half the field.

Haberfeld needs a Lola

Carp needs a new pit strategist.

My boy Tracy needs to quit bitchin' and start working.

Whiney is really starting to look second hand compared to Sebastien.

Fairly clean start for Portland. I still see no need for the festival nonsense unless it's placed there to create a crash zone in front of the paying customer.

Congrats to N/H

Everyone else needs to step up for Cleveland

Madmaxfan2
06-21-04, 12:38 PM
Junky was at a loss for words at the end. He came so close to whining about it being no fair to him, but since it was his teammate that won, it just killed him to admit that SeaBass was better.

Hard Driver
06-21-04, 12:47 PM
Pretty good race. A little more dicing up front would have been nice. But overall pretty interesting.

I think the option tire is a nice idea and so is the push to pass. But they don't seem to have as much effect as I thought they would.

oddlycalm
06-21-04, 02:17 PM
I still see no need for the festival nonsense unless it's placed there to create a crash zone in front of the paying customer.

Agreed, but it was CART insisted on a chicane 3/4 down the front straight back in 1981. It was later "improved" by turning it into what is now the Festival Curves. The core problem was that CART said there wasn't room for a proper runoff area beyond turn 4, which used to be turn 1, for cars traveling 225mph, which would have been their terminal velocity.
PIR track layout (http://www.portlandraceway.com/graphics/BigMap1.gif)
IMO they should have made the Festival a shallower angle wider turn 1 and then had a much longer chute to turn 2 which would have accomplished the same thing but made it a better a race track. The problem with my idea is that they would have to fill in the end of one of the sloughs, so it would be a very expensive thing to do, and probably require an environmental approval process. Trying to get the city to do that would be like rolling a large rock up a hill with your nose.

There are some major improvements planned, but not a change the Festival curves.
10yr master plan (http://www.portlandraceway.com/masterplan.asp)

BTW, the PIR track was orignally built on what remained of the city of Vanport's streets. The city was built to house the shipyard workers during WWII, and the entire city was wiped out in a flood in 1948 and never rebuilt.

oc

Kiwifan
06-21-04, 02:32 PM
We had the race taped delayed for Nascar, Golf and Soccer so it didn't have that same appeal. I kept off the forums all day but it was just a little flat for me.

I know that you guys had it bad with ESPN but for us on the International feed they were the best of times. I just wonder if these guys have come to grips with camera placings and angles to make the best of our product.

I miss Jeremy Shaw doing our commentary but these guys, esp Jon Beekuis are pretty cool. I could do without all the Bronte fluff though. Nice girl, nice looking girl but there was a race going on! Lets hear about the drivers some other time, please?

Not unhapppy SB won but thought Tracy could/should have had more. Who knows?

Cheers, Rusty.

Rob
06-21-04, 02:44 PM
Fairly clean start for Portland. I still see no need for the festival nonsense unless it's placed there to create a crash zone in front of the paying customer.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. They should bypass the Festival Curves on lap one and use them for the rest of the race. Don't let them accelerate coming out of the final turn, make them wait until they get close to the line. Maybe even move the S/F line closer to turn 1 if necessary. That way they wouldn't be anywhere near top speed when they get to turn 4, so the runoff should be sufficient.

Insomniac
06-21-04, 02:47 PM
I watched the race. It wasn't all that exciting. It doesn't help that I watched the F1 race and the US world cup qualifier before. Between seeing F! first and being a little tired I wasn't into it much. The excitement isn't there and I always loved ChampCar. N/H owns everyone and PT doesn't do much. The lack of qualifying, driver interviews and controversy have hurt the excitement IMO.

I liked the start and was happy with the lack of FCYs. (they even restarted a guy under a local yellow). On to Cleveland, which has long been my favorite race. I hope the excitement returns. :)

Dirty Sanchez
06-21-04, 03:02 PM
My race report: "ehhhhh" :gomer:

fourrunner
06-21-04, 03:07 PM
Junky was at a loss for words at the end. He came so close to whining about it being no fair to him, but since it was his teammate that won, it just killed him to admit that SeaBass was better.

Bruno was absolutely hilarious to watch in the post race interview...

He definitely was prepared to complain about something / anything, but realized Sebastian had the better situation and cut his comments short and said "But that's OK" about Sebastians better race! He made it sound like once Sebastian had the first turn, the race was over for him ... but in reality Sebastian had the better car!

I think Bruno always looks first on any "Raw Deal" he may have been subjected to ... then if he can't fabricate one, he just concedes!!

Whatever, I get a kick out of him, and the series needs him for some color ! :)

Dirty Sanchez
06-21-04, 03:14 PM
I like it when a guy isn't happy with 2nd place.

Its not like he acted like his teammate should just move out of his way like some people. :rolleyes:

RaceGrrl
06-21-04, 03:21 PM
Bruno was catching Sebastien at the end of the race. Too bad we didn't have another 15 laps or so to see them battle it out for the win.

pchall
06-21-04, 03:41 PM
Pretty good race. A little more dicing up front would have been nice. But overall pretty interesting.

I think the option tire is a nice idea and so is the push to pass. But they don't seem to have as much effect as I thought they would.

The option tire might be more effective and interesting if the cars could go longer on their fuel stints.

Insomniac
06-21-04, 03:52 PM
Bruno was catching Sebastien at the end of the race. Too bad we didn't have another 15 laps or so to see them battle it out for the win.

He also had the fastest lap by a lot. It would've been interesting, but I figure he would've been conservative so he doesn't take his teammate out or vice versa.

formulaben
06-21-04, 04:06 PM
I hated seeing Sebastian win. I can't stand him. I thought he was overly arrogant before, then after his Le Mans punting episode, I wrote him off. I would have loved to see even that whiney Bruno beat him.

Newman-Haas is definitely NOT my favorite team, can you tell? I would have loved to see them take each other out (with no injuries, of course) and hand the win to Tracy.

It's nice to have someone I love to hate again. Ever since the series fell on hard times, I supressed posts like this. :thumbup:

Don't want to sway you, but I saw the entire N/H team downtown Saturday night, and all were very gracious. At the track, I again saw Bordais in the pits, and was the only driver I saw except for AJ to be out there giving autographs on race day. SB was very nice about picture opportunities also. At least give him that. I've never been a fan of his, but the kid's got talent.

Michaelhatesfans
06-21-04, 04:23 PM
At the track, I again saw Bordais in the pits, and was the only driver I saw except for AJ to be out there giving autographs on race day. SB was very nice about picture opportunities also. At least give him that. I've never been a fan of his, but the kid's got talent.
I was there for that, as well. I was shocked to see it. I've rarely seen a driver strolling through the paddock signing autographs and posing for photos that close to the start of a race - and of the drivers I've seen doing that, he's never been the polesitter! :thumbup:
On the other side of the spectrum, I was there Friday watching Bruno getting fitted in the two seater. From his expression, you would have thought that someone was shoving a turd in his face. What a miserable git. :thumdown:

Mike Kellner
06-21-04, 04:35 PM
I did watch the race. I have the same comments I always do. They need to change the aero rules so the cars can pass. When leaders get stuck behind backmarkers, there is something wrong with the formula. They also need to use the blue flag, backed by the threat of a black flag. Tags held up Tracy for a lot of laps, when he should have moved over. F1 shows the blue for four turns before they bring out the black. CC needs a similar rule.

I hate the manditory pit stop rules. They need 60 gallon tanks, no total fuel limits, and no pit rule other than the general advice that it is wise to fill the tank before it is completely empty. With a 60 gallon tank, most races would be one stop, unless they thought two would be faster.

I want standing starts. I hate 'Festival', I hate all chicanes.

mk

Wabbit
06-21-04, 04:40 PM
Two rules I think should be added

1) If you have a blank sidepod, they should put Ford, Bridgestone, or the race sponsor logos on the car. That looks better than nothing, and gives more value to the series sponsors.

2) Reset the push-to pass limits with 5-10 laps left. Give everyone another 60 seconds so they can push it at the end.

Hard Driver
06-21-04, 05:03 PM
...I could do without all the Bronte fluff though. Nice girl, nice looking girl but there was a race going on! Lets hear about the drivers some other time, please?

I'll second that.

Chiphead_Dave
06-21-04, 05:08 PM
They need to change the aero rules so the cars can pass.

I hate the manditory pit stop rules. They need 60 gallon tanks, no total fuel limits, and no pit rule other than the general advice that it is wise to fill the tank before it is completely empty.
mk

I agree totally.

Raise the minimum ride height. Get downforce out of the chassis. Let them run difusers and whatever they want but control wing size, but get the ride height up in the air so that mechanical grip rules again.

Limit car bottom to top height. This cuts down on how thick of an airfoil they can make the car into. Thinner airfoils produce less force and a smaller turbulent region behind them.

These things would make the turbulent region behind the car smaller and allow a driver to pass.

Go to gasoline. Give them 60 gallon tanks. Let the tires be what brings them in the pits.

JMHO

Madmaxfan2
06-21-04, 05:15 PM
NO to gasoline. Not unless you want to step and pay for the fire protection needed along the pits. Methanol can be doused with water, unlike gasoline.

RacinM3
06-21-04, 06:52 PM
Don't want to sway you, but I saw the entire N/H team downtown Saturday night, and all were very gracious. At the track, I again saw Bordais in the pits, and was the only driver I saw except for AJ to be out there giving autographs on race day. SB was very nice about picture opportunities also. At least give him that. I've never been a fan of his, but the kid's got talent.

Now don't go mistaking what I said to mean I don't think he has talent. I'm also glad he was being gracious to the fans. But the fact remains I dislike him and Bruno both and wish to see them get beat. It's like this, I'm sure of any sport you love, football for example, you love the sport, but there are players you root against. I root against SB and BJ. I'm sure the team members are stand-up guys too, but I have to root against them too by way of default. :)

oddlycalm
06-21-04, 07:25 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. They should bypass the Festival Curves on lap one and use them for the rest of the race. Don't let them accelerate coming out of the final turn, make them wait until they get close to the line. Maybe even move the S/F line closer to turn 1 if necessary. That way they wouldn't be anywhere near top speed when they get to turn 4, so the runoff should be sufficient.

Yep, that's the best solution to resolve the 1st lap mess.

oc

Robstar
06-21-04, 07:32 PM
I want standing starts.

mk

:thumbup: Same here...

pchall
06-21-04, 08:32 PM
NO to gasoline. Not unless you want to step and pay for the fire protection needed along the pits. Methanol can be doused with water, unlike gasoline.

F1 has been running safely with gasoline many years now. Modern car construction and fuel cell regs have helped enormously. The only problem with gasoline in F1 right now is the pressurized fuel rig.

Doubling the fuel mileage in a champcar would be a tremendous thing - imagine Portland with only one stop.

nz_climber
06-21-04, 10:12 PM
We had the race taped delayed for Nascar, Golf and Soccer so it didn't have that same appeal. I kept off the forums all day but it was just a little flat for me.

I know that you guys had it bad with ESPN but for us on the International feed they were the best of times. I just wonder if these guys have come to grips with camera placings and angles to make the best of our product.

I miss Jeremy Shaw doing our commentary but these guys, esp Jon Beekuis are pretty cool. I could do without all the Bronte fluff though. Nice girl, nice looking girl but there was a race going on! Lets hear about the drivers some other time, please?

Not unhapppy SB won but thought Tracy could/should have had more. Who knows?

Cheers, Rusty.

I was wondering if we were ever going to see it - I was thinking of heading to a the bar just down from work to watch it - but couldn't find it in the sky guide!!

Kiwifan
06-22-04, 02:14 AM
Don't worry mate, it's on it's way! :gomer: And here's me being dissed at it being the same day tape delayed. :o :p

Rusty.

Robstar
06-22-04, 02:26 AM
We got it delayed at 1:30am this morning...which is about 19hrs delayed but after Big Brother Up Late :rolleyes:
Too late for me on a 'school night' so I tape it & watch it at work during lunch (watched half today, rest tonight)...

Madmaxfan2
06-22-04, 09:26 AM
F1 has been running safely with gasoline many years now. Modern car construction and fuel cell regs have helped enormously. The only problem with gasoline in F1 right now is the pressurized fuel rig.

Doubling the fuel mileage in a champcar would be a tremendous thing - imagine Portland with only one stop.

The thing is it takes $$$$ for fire protection for gasoline. The F1 circuits probably have the right systems in place, whereas most champ car circuits, especially the street courses do not have the right infrastructure in place to douse gasoline fires. Just because NASCAR gets by with it, we all know of NASCAR's attitude to safety. It is not the cars that are the problem, it is the pits during refueling. As recent hsitory tells us, it is pit fires that are the present danger. You are right, gasoline has a higher BTU cotent per gallon over methanol, and the air-fuel ratio is twice that for methanol, but methanol has proven to be a great race fuel with higher inherit octane rating over straight gasoline, and for safety it is better. Just because INDY and USAC started using methanol does not make it bad by association.

losedagrooves
06-22-04, 10:37 AM
Carp needs a new pit strategist.

'Bird, I think it was the only strategy they could have played.

Insomniac
06-22-04, 01:18 PM

What they needed was someone who can estimate properly where he'll come back put so that he has clear track in front of him instead of traffic. If they did that, I think he could've won the race. He was pretty fast.

nz_climber
06-22-04, 04:08 PM
Don't worry mate, it's on it's way! :gomer: And here's me being dissed at it being the same day tape delayed. :o :p

Rusty.

Exactly - I only just watched Milwaukee last weekend :gomer:

Railbird
06-22-04, 07:34 PM

Of course you're correct, and they played it well really, but like Insomniac pointed out, sending him out behind a notoriously difficult guy to pass cost them a podium.

Probably had little or no choice though, they're not holding down second place in the points by being stupid.

losedagrooves
06-22-04, 07:40 PM
What they needed was someone who can estimate properly where he'll come back put so that he has clear track in front of him instead of traffic. If they did that, I think he could've won the race. He was pretty fast.

Just from his position in the field, I think he would have had back markers even if he had come in a lap or two sooner, or later for that matter. Seb was turning fast laps all day with the clear track. PC was 52 secs behind and was lapped an average k and a half slower. Personally I think the 4th was an awesome job. I agree with you, could have been different if he had some room to run the car, PT for that matter as well.

3 weeks to T.O. be there.

gurneyfan
06-22-04, 11:23 PM
The idea for bypassing the Festival Curves on the first lap and moving the start finish line if necessary is a great solution. This is the kinnd of thing that ChampCar has shown they can implement.

I'm wondering if the push to pass needs to give more horsepower. Can't they keep bumping it up in increments until it makes a difference? If it doesn't even help you get past a backmarker is it really doing what its supposed to?

Tagliani holding up Tracy when he was a lap down was bad form. He wasn't racing anyone else for position. He ignored the blue flag. He should be fined and warned.

All that said. when you have a real road race without a lot of yellow flags and the second place car is a couple seconds behind, then its a good race. Back in the day the winners lapped the field. The Wilson / Allmendinger battle was great. Hope they are both around for years.

Final note. Wilson / Allmendinger, MiJack and Rusport get better every race and will be contenders soon. Looking forward to Cleveland. Got my tickets last week.

Michaelhatesfans
06-22-04, 11:43 PM
ALMS has bypassed the chicane on the first lap in the past, it wouldn't be a first.