PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened at IMS

RTKar
06-21-04, 09:01 AM
I was wearing a CART shirt while a friend of mine and I were walking down Gergetown in Indy looking for GP tickets. We passed a 60 ish guy parking cars, as we passed by him I heard him say, "We need those guys back" . We stopped, turned around and started chatting about the state IMS. Essentislly, the gist of the conversation was how the buzz is gone and less money is going into the pockets of locals. He mentioned how brokers now buy large blocks of tickets from IMS at a discount, acting as a roving box office. If this is true, not only are there more empty seats, some of those that are filled, are filled at a profit to IMS that is less than the face value of the seat. I was surprised a local of his generation would share the same sentiment as me. I should have asked him if he always felt that way towards CART and the irl... Wouldn't surprise me if the owners of hotels and restaurants downtown feel the same way.

Spicoli
06-21-04, 09:45 AM
I was wearing a CART shirt while a friend of mine and I were walking down Gergetown in Indy looking for GP tickets. We passed a 60 ish guy parking cars, as we passed by him I heard him say, "We need those guys back" . We stopped, turned around and started chatting about the state IMS. Essentislly, the gist of the conversation was how the buzz is gone and less money is going into the pockets of locals. He mentioned how brokers now buy large blocks of tickets from IMS at a discount, acting as a roving box office. If this is true, not only are there more empty seats, some of those that are filled, are filled at a profit to IMS that is less than the face value of the seat. I was surprised a local of his generation would share the same sentiment as me. I should have asked him if he always felt that way towards CART and the irl... Wouldn't surprise me if the owners of hotels and restaurants downtown feel the same way.

You don't know the half of it.

BTW - I hear a few guys saw Defender Sunday. :gomer:

Maybe he was in town top help Tony fix stuff some more. :shakehead

Madmaxfan2
06-21-04, 12:42 PM
The thing is, most of the CART guys are back. It's the whole IRL package, philosophy, and leadership to blame for the current state of affairs at the INDY 500.

RTKar
06-21-04, 09:02 PM
The thing is, most of the CART guys are back. It's the whole IRL package, philosophy, and leadership to blame for the current state of affairs at the INDY 500.

That's the irony of it, they have the mfg's, owners, drivers and sponsors...but not the most important thing, the majority of fans.

pchall
06-21-04, 09:15 PM
That's the irony of it, they have the mfg's, owners, drivers and sponsors...but not the most important thing, the majority of fans.

Exactly.

The way I feel these days I want to do four laps at IMS driving a Cat D10N with a ripper shank.

Ankf00
06-21-04, 10:36 PM
Exactly.

The way I feel these days I want to do four laps at IMS driving a Cat D10N with a ripper shank.

D11-R Carrydozer baby :cool: what multiple millions of dollars and 500 gallons of diesel can do for you ;)

pchall
06-22-04, 06:45 AM
D11-R Carrydozer baby :cool: what multiple millions of dollars and 500 gallons of diesel can do for you ;)

:laugh: The young one always believe bigger is better. ;)