PDA

View Full Version : CHAT

Audi_A4
06-19-04, 11:06 PM
What happened to the chat? when I log in via MIRC it makes me an @ and there is nobody else in the room.

devilmaster
06-19-04, 11:10 PM
Marvin the bot has been gone for a while. When he is gone, the first person into the room becomes the @dmin.

With 2 races on, (portland and usgp) i assume a good chunk of people are out havin fun at the tracks.

Steve

Audi_A4
06-20-04, 02:54 PM
Marvin the bot has been gone for a while. When he is gone, the first person into the room becomes the @dmin.

With 2 races on, (portland and usgp) i assume a good chunk of people are out havin fun at the tracks.

Steve

Thanks DM, I thought I had made up my own room

Megger
08-07-04, 03:52 PM
The link never works for me. it asks me to enter nick name and a blank box opens but never load to the chatroom. I can use the chatroom at CW's site and I think they use Mirc

nrc
08-07-04, 04:05 PM
I think CW uses Vbulletin's chat client. Looks like a problem launching from some IE. Thought I checked that. I'll sort it out.

nrc
08-08-04, 12:44 AM
Chat link should be fixed for IE users now. Please try it. You will get a grey box for a moment while it loads the applet, but the javascript problems are fixed and it should work if you have a reasonably up to date Java version.

WickerBill
08-08-04, 08:02 AM
As an FYI, due to a court settlement, if your computer was purchased with Windows XP SP1 on it, it will not have a Java client built-in. You must download one (free) here: Sun's Java download (http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp) .

Click on the Download button next to Windows (installation).

WB

Megger
08-08-04, 02:03 PM
Downloaded the Java program. Chat asks for nick name. After entering nickname a box opens and starts to load but I get this message

13:54***Connecting to Server irc.different.net:6667
13:54***Ident: Invalid Host Name
13:54!!! Can't connect - access denied (java.net.socket permision irc.different.net resolver)!

The template for chat is there but it locks up. :(

nrc
08-08-04, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the reminder, WB. I'll put a download link on the chat entry page.

nrc
08-08-04, 02:29 PM
Downloaded the Java program. Chat asks for nick name. After entering nickname a box opens and starts to load but I get this message

13:54***Connecting to Server irc.different.net:6667
13:54***Ident: Invalid Host Name
13:54!!! Can't connect - access denied (java.net.socket permision irc.different.net resolver)!

The template for chat is there but it locks up. :(

Locks up completely? As in, nothing is functional or it just never connects? The error message sounds like a firewall problem, but if the java applet is working over on CW... hmm.
Anyone else seeing this problem?

manic mechanic
08-08-04, 08:10 PM
I get all the way to here, and it won't connect:

17:08 *** Connecting to server irc.different.net:6667
17:08 =StLouis.MO.US.Different.NET= *** Looking up your hostname...
17:08 =StLouis.MO.US.Different.NET= *** Checking ident...
17:09 *** Ident timeout!
17:09 !!! Closed connection!

wtf? :confused:

manic

nz_climber
08-08-04, 08:21 PM

manic

i get the same through the chat link, but is ok through chatzilla, maybe the timeout parameter needs to be extended?

nrc
08-08-04, 10:32 PM
Yes, there's a parameter. You might be able to set it manually under the "Setting" menu under "File" in the applet. For some reason when I try to set it at launch it goes to zero, which isn't good for anyone. :/ Still tinkering...

nrc
08-09-04, 12:03 AM
Anyone who was getting timeouts, please try it now. The timeout is up to two minutes now instead of 30 seconds.

Cam
08-09-04, 01:00 AM
Are we back on different.net? :confused:

nrc
08-09-04, 08:11 AM
Are we back on different.net? :confused:

We didn't leave different.net. different.net left us. :)

anait
08-10-04, 12:55 PM
Well, this is hilarious. Somehow mr anait configgered my 'puter so IE closes if I try to open a chat window. Both the new OC chat and DM's temporary one. :saywhat: Perhaps he's trying to tell me something... :p

Ankf00
08-11-04, 09:27 AM
2 more weeks till my new lappy comes in the mail, damn all y'all and yer online chatting !

anait
08-13-04, 02:23 AM
Cool. Chat issues fixed. :cool:

TravelGal
08-15-04, 01:10 PM

manic

Reading the rest of the thread, this was supposed to be fixed but it is exactly what I got. And, after 30 seconds.

Isn't there a way to get there through IRC? Java is so unreliable.

Thanks, TravelGal
(Um could you PM an answer?) I may never find this thread again. LOL!

Cam
08-15-04, 01:22 PM
Reading the rest of the thread, this was supposed to be fixed but it is exactly what I got. And, after 30 seconds.

Isn't there a way to get there through IRC? Java is so unreliable.

Thanks, TravelGal
(Um could you PM an answer?) I may never find this thread again. LOL!

Yep.

Server = irc.different.net port 6667

Channel = #offcamber

:)

nrc
08-15-04, 02:11 PM
I've set the option to timeout in 2 minutes. Of course I can't swear that the client actually honors that. Make sure you refresh the chat entry page (the one where you put your nick in) so you have the fixed settings.