PDA

View Full Version : USGP to continue at IMS

jonovision_man
06-19-04, 06:37 PM
From AtlasF1:
Ecclestone told the Indianapolis Star: "I just said to Tony 'we're happy if you're happy. If you don't want me to pick the option up I won't. If you want to extend the contract beyond the two years I will.

"We're going to make it work. I am committed. He's happy with it and we should continue with it. I left (the duration of the contract) to him. We have that sort of relationship. I have big respect for Tony."

Ecclestone has had preliminary discussions in New York about a possible street race in Manhattan and has also discussed a return to Long Beach in the future and team bosses have backed a possible second United States race.

McLaren-Mercedes boss Ron Dennis said: "I think we would all support it providing it didn't increase the calendar size and a west coast race would be very beneficial to the commercial interests of all of our teams."

Railbird
06-19-04, 08:52 PM
TG has deep pockets
Bernie likes folks with deep pockets

No suprise there...

If you head out west looking for deep pockets I would think Las Vegas might be a stopping point.

I have a hard time seeing a community like Long Beach spending the money on infrastucture needed to come up to snuff. But, as I posted a few months back, I've heard of an interesting scenerio involving TG throwing some bucks down to help.

Rogue Leader
06-20-04, 02:40 AM
Street race in NY would be AWESOME... I would use ALLL my work vacation to be there 24/7!!

Napoleon
06-20-04, 03:07 AM
As long as CART, er, ChampCar is alive TG will continue hosting the USGP regardless of cost. When it goes away he will not spend one dime beyond his veriable cost.

dando
06-20-04, 02:23 PM
Read as if you're willing to pay, we're happy to ca$h the checks...

-Kevin

BZSetshot
06-20-04, 02:34 PM
Street race in NY would be AWESOME... I would use ALLL my work vacation to be there 24/7!!

I don't think there is one street smooth enough for an F1 car to run on here!! :D

Central Park?

Rogue Leader
06-20-04, 03:12 PM
I don't think there is one street smooth enough for an F1 car to run on here!! :D

Central Park?

LOL very true.... but I think they could find a way to repave 2 miles or so to build a circuit... or use central park (altho the treehugers would flip a **** at that one!)

j_d
06-20-04, 03:47 PM
That course just doesn't do much for me. I forget which announcer said it, but someone today referenced it as a "compromise" track. That's what it felt like to me, a compromise track. I don't have any suggestions on how to make it better, and maybe Indy can't be made better as a road course.

I love F-1 best when they are racing past the trees and you can see the countryside in the background. Those types of vistas, as well as the urban vistas of Monaco, are so much a part of the F-1 history and tradition for me. I just can't get excited about road racing at Indy.

jonovision_man
06-20-04, 08:25 PM
TG has deep pockets
Bernie likes folks with deep pockets

No suprise there...

More specifically he likes folks with deep pockets who are eager to fork it over. :)

I'm just glad they're keeping the US race going, today's was quite entertaining... a second event would be fantastic.

Railbird
06-20-04, 08:46 PM
a few of us were having a conversation this morning while waiting to head to the track. When was the last good track constucted for F1?

Suzuka?

How many great, or even good, courses are left on the schedule?

While I would enjoy a more classic venue like the Glenn or RA I know that isn't going to happen so as long as this sanatized circuit is in my backyard I'm going to enjoy it.

FanofMario
06-21-04, 11:01 AM
On the local recap shows, Double D zinged IMS. He had the audacity to report seeing more empty stands and vendors complaining at the lack of business! :p

Steve99
06-21-04, 12:10 PM
How was the crowd this year compared to last? Looked pretty thin on TV.

jonovision_man
06-21-04, 12:41 PM
a few of us were having a conversation this morning while waiting to head to the track. When was the last good track constucted for F1?

Sepang is an excellent circuit IMO. Wide and fast, some nice long straights, elevation changes, it's fantastic. Best of all - changing weather with the occasional massive dump of rain, just to keep everyone on their toes. :)

Bahrain seemed ok, although it'll take a few races to see what it provides year to year. China looks pretty amazing as a facility, we'll see how the circuit is in action in a few months.

Indianapolis has provided some really good racing, I like the existing banked section more than the mickey mouse infield though. Still, creates interesting set-up comprimises.

My problem is more with the modifications to old circuits than the new circuits... I hate post-1994 Imola, it's awful. Hockenheim was neutered, even though I like that new hairpin, the lap is way too short now.

Even great corners aren't immune, 130-R at Suzuka isn't even 130-R anymore... McNish just about got McSquished, though, I guess something had to be done, but I was hoping we'd see more run-off or better barriers instead of the circuit changes. :(

4wheeldrifter
06-21-04, 01:21 PM
How many great, or even good, courses are left on the schedule?

Since you axed ;) ,,,IMO:

Great:
Spa (the only truly great drivers track left; also great visually)
Monaco (for tradition and visuals)

Good:
Suzuka
Montreal
Sepang
Maybe Magny Cours or Silverstone