PDA

View Full Version : Race 1 *Spoiler*

Sean O'Gorman
06-19-04, 06:11 PM
Fogarty first, Danica second. The exact reverse in the points standings as of this moment. At the rate he is going, Fogarty should be the points leader by tomorrow I'd imagine.

pchall
06-19-04, 08:01 PM
Fogarty first, Danica second. The exact reverse in the points standings as of this moment. At the rate he is going, Fogarty should be the points leader by tomorrow I'd imagine.

Did Patrick actually make a pass on Ranger, or did he have a massive bobble or something? BTW, she starts from the pole position tomorrow.

Sean O'Gorman
06-19-04, 08:22 PM
Did Patrick actually make a pass on Ranger, or did he have a massive bobble or something? BTW, she starts from the pole position tomorrow.

I don't know, I just checked the live timing after the race had ended and looked at the results. If she is able to win, or at the very least hang on to the points lead after tomorrow, it should be huge. Not that I really care, if she is indeed going to the IRL next year. :thumdown:

pchall
06-19-04, 10:32 PM
Right now she's just an Atlantics driver, and it would be nice to see her earn one.

Sean O'Gorman
06-19-04, 11:56 PM
Right now she's just an Atlantics driver, and it would be nice to see her earn one.

Yeah, I guess so. My eight year old sister would probably be thrilled, I try to keep her up to date on what Danica does in hopes of getting her interested in the sport, but it doesn't do much good. She is coming with me to Mid-Ohio tomorrrow, so maybe there is hope. :)

Dr. Corkski
06-21-04, 04:29 AM
Make that a hat-trick for Fogarty. :thumbup:

Just too bad that he is about 10 years too old and not enough hair to "earn" his way into Champ Car.

pchall
06-21-04, 10:04 PM
Who punted Patrick?

Brickman
06-22-04, 04:49 PM
Who punted Patrick?

Figge and none to worried about punting girls.

Fogarty Takes Lead in Champ Points Race

Sun Jun 20, 9:17 PM ET

By ANNE M. PETERSON, AP Sports Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. - With a pair of Toyota Atlantic victories in a rare doubleheader this weekend at Portland International Raceway, Jon Fogarty suddenly takes a commanding lead in the series points race.

"It's so important on a double weekend — it's a double value," he said.

Fogarty, who was sixth in points on Friday, led pole-to-pole over 35 laps Saturday in the first race on the 1.969-mile road course. Then on Sunday he took the lead when polesitter Danica Patrick was bumped from behind by Alex Figge just after the start.

Fogarty went on to win with an average speed of 103.266. He was 2.562 seconds faster than second-place finisher Ryan Dalziel. Rookie Jonathan Bomarito was third.

It was Fogarty's third straight win — he also won at the Milwaukee Mile two weeks ago — and it put him at 126 series points.

Patrick finished second on Saturday to briefly take the points lead. For a day, she was the first woman to lead an open-wheel series.

After Sunday's seventh-place finish, she dropped to second with 114 points. She was angry about the bump that made her spin off course.

"I don't know who it was, but let's not do it again," she said.

Figge was unapologetic.

"We're not here to sell ice cream, we're here to race cars," he said.

It was the first doubleheader weekend for the series since 2000. The races were part of a weekend highlighted by the Champ Car Grand Prix of Portland.

"I've had a lot of close races here but never a victory," said Fogarty, the 2002 series champions. "I think I have raced here five or six times. It's a great course. There are a lot of flowing corners, it's fast, there is a lot of loading on the car. It feels good to get the first win here."

nrc
06-29-04, 10:31 PM
Figge was unapologetic.

"We're not here to sell ice cream, we're here to race cars," he said.

Considering the amount of contact that Figge has had in his career, it's a good thing. His Good Humor truck would no doubt leave a trail of crushed bicycles and broken big wheels in its wake.

Maybe Figge should cut the macho posturing until he's not routinely being beaten by a girl.

theunions
07-03-04, 07:19 PM
Considering the amount of contact that Figge has had in his career, it's a good thing. His Good Humor truck would no doubt leave a trail of crushed bicycles and broken big wheels in its wake.

Maybe Figge should cut the macho posturing until he's not routinely being beaten by a girl.

I wonder what sort of macho posturing he's doing now that he's punted out the points leader for the second straight race - this time his own teammate? :rofl:

Sean O'Gorman
07-03-04, 09:28 PM
Heh, that was easily the bonehead move of the weekend. Ironic that Danica benefitted more from that than any other driver except Sellers.