PDA

View Full Version : Why the IRL will not go road racing anytime too soon.....

RaceChic
06-18-04, 04:16 PM
I am certainly NOT a technical genious by any means.... :rolleyes:

Thought I would throw this out to you, as it was a good read and was a helpful "Techincal Racing for Dummies" read for me. :gomer:

Smoke and Mirrors (http://www.champweb.net/column.php?t=c&id=25638)

Don Quixote
06-18-04, 05:11 PM
good article, thanks. :cool:

Chaos
06-18-04, 05:23 PM
interesting read, but i still think the IRL is going road racing. I think the desire to be the only open wheel series in north america (and pressure from the current teams) will overpower any argument not to - even if it means slow times.

Kiwifan
06-18-04, 05:30 PM
Slow times and not many fans, ah now there's a winning Formula. ;)

Rusty.

Madmaxfan2
06-18-04, 06:04 PM
This is really bad for the EARL. It validates what I posted on another thread.
No road racing for the EARL. Maybe that is why Penske is kissing up. The EARL stars can only go road racing if OWRS goes along with Champ Car Chassis' for a merger next year.

SteveH
06-18-04, 06:19 PM
Great article, yes. But idiots sometimes do crazy things.

gjc2
06-18-04, 06:26 PM
Also........when open wheel car run ovals they use a spool rear end, for road racing they use a differential. Since IRL cars were not designed to road race will they be able to adapt a differential to the current transaxel?

George

jonovision_man
06-18-04, 07:01 PM
Makes you wonder why the IRL ever deviated from the Champcar formula in the first place... their formula has constantly come up short. :thumdown:

Their cars are slower, fly into the air at the slightest touch, are too easy to drive, and would be goofy on a road course.

Hey - maybe that's why TG was bidding on CART? :)

dando
06-18-04, 08:14 PM
Chassis solution: Haas. :(

-Kevin

Madmaxfan2
06-18-04, 09:07 PM
Chassis solution: Haas. :(

-Kevin
The picture becomes clearer. Haas sells updates to crapwagons or current champ car formula gets adopted by the EARL, with Roger kissing up to push OWRS aside for one last gasp to make TG's little venture work. It is the only way to make an originally an all oval series acceptable for road racing.

Racewriter
06-18-04, 09:15 PM
Also........when open wheel car run ovals they use a spool rear end, for road racing they use a differential. Since IRL cars were not designed to road race will they be able to adapt a differential to the current transaxel?

George

I doubt that they're running a spool. Just a guess.

Heck, I'd HOPE they're not running a spool, for that kind of money.

gjc2
06-19-04, 11:31 AM
I doubt that they're running a spool. Just a guess.

Heck, I'd HOPE they're not running a spool, for that kind of money.

I am very sure that IRL Indy Cars use spool rear ends. I also believe that Champ Cars use spools for oval races. My question is does the design of the rear gear housing on an IRL car allow enough space for a differential?

SurfaceUnits
06-19-04, 12:04 PM
Vasser says the IRL and Champ Car should race at PIR, and “let the fans decide.” The IRL would need to make road-course cars and “they’ll have to spend $150,000 per car to make them road-raceable,” he says. “If they put (their current cars) in a road race, a Toyota Atlantic car would win.”

Brickman
06-19-04, 12:58 PM
Smoke and Mirrors (http://www.champweb.net/column.php?t=c&id=25638)

Maybe it's smoke and mirrors the other way around, getting ones hopes up that they can't be run. Personally I think that since the cars were redesigned with buckeyes on both sides of the car in 2003 that turning right was already a consideration, that dallera and gforce took already looked at the concerns brought up in the article, unless they were thinking TG's brain was focused on oval racing clockwise.

Too soon to tell what will work technically.