PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2 rally games

Grunschev
06-18-04, 01:24 PM
There are a number of rally games available for the PS2. Does anybody here have a favorite? Should I get the WRC game or Colin McRae? Or is V-Rally 3 the way to go? Why do you like the one you suggest? I've read a number of user reviews at various sites and it looks like for every review that says "This game rocks!" there's one that says "Pure crap. Play _____ instead."

TIA

Igor

Rob
06-18-04, 02:32 PM
I've never played V-Rally 3, but I have both WRC and CMR3. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. WRC has all 14 World Rally events from a couple years ago with real rally stages, while the CMR3 events are fantasy stages. WRC has almost twice as many stages as CMR3, but some of the stages are ridiculously short, a few of them barely over one minute. Combining the short WRC stages with that game's horribly long loading times (somewhere around 45 seconds before each stage!) can be frustrating.

Also, the cars in WRC are a lot easier to drive than those of CMR3. In fact they are too easy. Rather than being able to kick out the tail on gravel or dirt, the car just sort of pivots. The CMR3 driving experience seems better to me. You get a better sense of up-and-down motion in WRC, but a better sense of speed in CMR3.

Graphically, both games are nicely done. Lighting effects are great, especially in WRC. On the downside, the WRC environments seem to be made up of huge polygons. The paved stages are much better in CMR3, while I'd give the edge to WRC on most of the dirt and gravel stages.

Overall, I'd recommend either game. I'm interested in finding out about V-Rally 3 and the other games that are out there.

Grunschev
07-06-04, 11:53 AM
Thanks Rob. I bought a used copy of WRC this weekend and am having a blast with it. I think the funniest thing is that all the drivers/codrivers are named except Colin McRae, who is simply "Ford driver". Cracks me up.

I need to find the setting that says "when you drive your car off a 300-ft cliff, your rally is over". I'd also like to have the codriver give me better notice. I'm not too happy when it's something like "2 left over jump... into 5 right" and he doesn't say the "into" until I'm in mid-air. The brakes don't work so well when you're airborne.

Great fun.

Igor

Rob
07-06-04, 09:45 PM
I'd also like to have the codriver give me better notice. I'm not too happy when it's something like "2 left over jump... into 5 right" and he doesn't say the "into" until I'm in mid-air. The brakes don't work so well when you're airborne.
Yeah, that drives me crazy too. If it's any consolation, the other game's co-driver isn't any better in that respect.