PDA

View Full Version : HDTV EXPERTS - QUESTION

Wheel-Nut
06-18-04, 11:50 AM
I am thinking of buying an HDTV. I have done a little research and have read a few reviews. Some of the stuff I read makes no sense to me. I hate to do in depth research as of yet.

I am looking for a CRT directview for under $2k.

What are some good choices? I really like the Sony's.

Insomniac
06-18-04, 12:15 PM
I am thinking of buying an HDTV. I have done a little research and have read a few reviews. Some of the stuff I read makes no sense to me. I hate to do in depth research as of yet.

I am looking for a CRT directview for under $2k.

What are some good choices? I really like the Sony's.

If you're looking at only CRT HDTVs, then your life got very simple. They are all pretty much the same resolution (1080i). You will be able to choose between a 16:9 TV or 4:3 TV. The ususal recommendation is to go with the one you will be watching most often in the next few years. I personally like the 40" 4:3 Sony Wega because you get a 36"+ 16:9 screen. Go to a store and take a look at them. What features interest you? There are quite a few manufacturers now. Sony, Philips, Panasonic, Toshiba...

The one thing I'd recommend is make sure the TV has a DVI interface because it is very possible in the future that without it, you may have to watch HDTV downsampled.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can get any CRT HDTV for about $2k, so your price shouldn't limit you.

Wheel-Nut
06-18-04, 12:38 PM
This is the model that looks good to me.

LINK (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KV_34HS510/4505-6481_7-20886712.html?tag=pdtl-img)

What is DVI?

How hard is it to do the color calibration? and is it necessary?

What features interest you?

I like the picture and picture and the simplicity of this model.

cart7
06-18-04, 12:48 PM
While I can't speak to this exact Zenith model link to Zenith TV (http://reviews.cnet.com/Zenith_C34W23/4505-6481_7-8406301.html?tag=pdtl-list) the 27" HD's I've seen here in the shop have a real good picture compared with the price you'll pay for them (1/2 of the Sony).

Calibration isn't necessary on an HDTV though some say it improves the picture.

Do you mean DVI, that's the connector type for the cable from an HDTV tuner to the set. BTW, the Zenith has an intergrated HDTV tuner built in, no need for a box.

KLang
06-18-04, 12:52 PM
www.avsforum.com is a great place to research this stuff. They have a forum dedicated to direct view displays.

Here (http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=487&page_number=1) is a magazine review of the XBR version of the 34" Sony from last year.

For calibration I suggest Digital Video Essentials (http://www.videoessentials.com/)

Insomniac
06-21-04, 03:13 PM
This is the model that looks good to me.

LINK (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KV_34HS510/4505-6481_7-20886712.html?tag=pdtl-img)

What is DVI?

How hard is it to do the color calibration? and is it necessary?

What features interest you?

I like the picture and picture and the simplicity of this model.

DVI is a Digital Video Interface. To amke a long story shoprt, they are worried about their content and piracy. So the plan is to send the data encrypted to the TV through that interface and have the internals decode it (their hope is the further down the signal is decoded the harder it will be to steal). If it all goes as they plan/hope, then if you hook up a device using an analog method like component video, the stream will be downsampled to a much lower quality from the source.

Most (if not all) TVs should have PIP. I want to let you know that if you have a more recent dual tuner PIP TV taht these won't work quite the same way with anything besides an antenna or ananlog cable. If you wanted to do PIP with HDTV for example, you would need two separate tuners.

The best thing I can stress is going to look at the TV in person. Also look at what other people say about the TV after they brought it home. Most stores don't calibrate their TVs well, so they look different once home and set up properly. The AVS orums link KLang posted are great. They are an excellent resource.

He also mentioned Video Essentials. That is a great DVD. Most of the guys over at the AVS Forums will also recommend hiring an ISF tech to come calibrate your new TV. They will have some very advanced tools and have access (and know exactly what to do) with the service menu. That would cost about $150. Some people look at it like, why spend $2-2.5k on a TV and not spend the additional $150 to make it look near perfect? I agree with that personally. But, from personal experience, the difference between just playing with the settings and Video Essentials is huge. If you're not going to have your TV in a tightly controlled environment (lighting), I'd say get Video Essentials and use that. Then consider the ISF tech if you want.

Wheel-Nut
06-21-04, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I went to the avs forum and lurked around a bit. Most of the topics were way too advanced for me. I hate acronyms!!

I guess the one thing I have a concern about is the life expectancy of an HDTV. I thought there was a thread on this very topic on OC in the past but I could be mistaken.

Lets see what I have learned today.
1080i is the same as 740p.

I need to go to a few showrooms and take a look. There is a Tweeter store here in town I will have to visit. Should be as good a place as any to start.

KLang
06-21-04, 04:10 PM
I guess the one thing I have a concern about is the life expectancy of an HDTV. I thought there was a thread on this very topic on OC in the past but I could be mistaken.

Since you are looking at direct view CRT displays I wouldn't expect the life expectancy to be any different then a non-HDTV.

If you get into Houston, check out Home Theater Store and The Great Indoors also.

Wheel-Nut
06-21-04, 04:22 PM
I get into Houston everyday! I will check those stores out. I am thinking the specialty stores will have more knowlegable sales people while the electronic superstores will have the better price.

G.
06-21-04, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Wheel-Nut]
QUOTE]
It was a topic that I started, I think. It was in reference to DLP technology (not direct view) and the life expectancy of the DLP bulb.

Haven't gotten my DLP yet. I am waiting for the dishNetwork HD RX's with PVR to become more available (last I checked, they were rare).