PDA

View Full Version : Young guns headed to Grand-Am.

Fio1
06-18-04, 12:56 AM
It seems with all the BS in open wheel racing, that some young guys are headed to sports car. Hey, if it worked for Pat Long, Lucas Luhr & Dirk Muller, then it can work in the US as well.

21 year-old Californian, Andrew Alfonso is making his grand-am debut in an SGS Porche this weekend at Watkins Glen. Alfonso raced in the Barber National Series this year.

BNica
07-26-04, 10:44 PM
It seems with all the BS in open wheel racing, that some young guys are headed to sports car. Hey, if it worked for Pat Long, Lucas Luhr & Dirk Muller, then it can work in the US as well.

21 year-old Californian, Andrew Alfonso is making his grand-am debut in an SGS Porche this weekend at Watkins Glen. Alfonso raced in the Barber National Series this year.

As someone who can be somewhat of a Sportscar purist, I nontheless think it is great from an Open Wheel perspective to have two active and healthy sportscar series where all sorts of young racers can get employed and gain experience.

Michaelhatesfans
07-26-04, 11:47 PM
Grand Am?

(sound of a scuffle, and Mrs. Michaelhatesfans shouting, "No! Let it go! It's not worth it! Don't do it! Do you remember last time?! I don't want to spend the next week hearing about Seano, or whatever his bloody name is! No!" - more sounds of things being knocked off of the computer desk, Michaelhatesfans is drug out of the computer room and into the hallway...)

Sean O'Gorman
07-27-04, 11:35 AM
Grand Am?

(sound of a scuffle, and Mrs. Michaelhatesfans shouting, "No! Let it go! It's not worth it! Don't do it! Do you remember last time?! I don't want to spend the next week hearing about Seano, or whatever his bloody name is! No!" - more sounds of things being knocked off of the computer desk, Michaelhatesfans is drug out of the computer room and into the hallway...)

:rofl:

oddlycalm
07-27-04, 01:19 PM
two active and healthy sportscar series

Sorry, but that's being generous to a fault IMO. Grand Am sucks donkey parts. The sports car racing market is barely big enough to support one healthy series, and neither Grand Am or ALMS is what I would call healthy. My take is that the Speed World Challenge series is actually more responsible than ALMS weekend attendance than ALMS itself is. Even then, attendance is dreadfully low.

oc

pchall
07-30-04, 04:13 PM
Grand Am sucks donkey parts.
ocCorrecto mundo. There are some paychecks to be had in Grand Am (TCGR especially), but the "racing" means diddly squat unless your last sled was Renault powered.

Sean O'Gorman
07-30-04, 04:30 PM
Those poor Grand-Am drivers! They put in all this work to be good racers, and they try so hard, only for pchall to declare that Grand-Am isn't real racing, thus making all of their efforts mean nothing. :laugh: ;)

Fio1
07-31-04, 01:35 PM
West Coast Formula Dodge Champion, Harrison Brix will be making his Grand-Am debut with Grease Monkey Racing in an SGS Porsche. Another young American looking at Sports Cars with Grand-Am.