PDA

View Full Version : New quals format for Silverstone

dando
06-17-04, 09:49 PM
linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1824121)

"Essentially there's going to be only one official qualifying session," team owner Frank Williams said, "and that's split into two 25-minute sessions with a 10-minute gap in between. Each (driver) is allowed to do a total of six laps, allowed to use four sets of tires for that first 25 and the second 25 session. You must start the race on the tires on which you qualified. (Your) qualification time is based on the aggregate -- for the first time ever in F1 -- on the best lap of the first 25 minutes and the second 25 minutes."

With the current system there is all sorts of strategy involved with fuel loads because a driver must make his final qualifying run with enough fuel onboard the car to take it through to the first pit stop in the race.

With the new system, cars will qualify with as light a fuel load as possible and then fuel will be added before the race. This means that a team with a slower car will no longer be able to try a strategy of qualifying with a lighter fuel load in order to move further up the grid while balancing that starting position with the fact that they will have to pit earlier.

-Kevin

ilferrari
06-18-04, 05:34 PM
SUCKS :thumdown:

Ankf00
06-18-04, 05:47 PM
Nintendo had simpler racing games.

dando
06-28-04, 09:08 PM
Update: won't happen..

linky (http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/11787/)

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
06-28-04, 09:12 PM
Why can't those FIA numbnuts just have an open hour of qualifying. Run one lap or 50, fuel the damn thing and park it.

Railbird
06-28-04, 09:21 PM
I gotta agree with M'brats

Open the track for an hour and let'em rip.

Screw the tires and fuel deals, just let them run whatever they have.

Then reload for raceday

Chaos
06-28-04, 09:32 PM
works for me...

i still think the concept single car qualifying is cool (though, i dont like it in conjunction with the parc ferme)

RTKar
06-28-04, 10:20 PM
I'm guessing the Minardi's will still start at the back... :rolleyes:

Railbird
06-28-04, 10:25 PM
Doubting the Zsoltmeister RT?

Mike Kellner
06-29-04, 12:13 AM
I liked the single car system, except for the fuel/tires/impound thing. I would prefer either single car from slowest to fastest, or the old way. One hour, fastest lap counts. Either way, I would let them keep the car, and change fuel, tires, and setup. The less contrived BS the better. Racing officials really have to get out of the way and let the racers race.

mk

ferrarigod
06-29-04, 12:19 AM
Single car is horrible. I really miss the old 1 hour session with 12 laps and light fuel.

The hour qualifying to me was very exciting. And I just miss the last second efforts, for many people that qualifying was the most exciting part. I just miss it. FIA is about as smart as FTG. Idiots :thumdown:

4wheeldrifter
06-29-04, 08:01 AM
I think I'm with FG on this one. Bring back the old style quallies. I miss the drama.

oddlycalm
06-29-04, 05:39 PM
The best thing any sanctioning body can do is the provide stable and rational rules and make sure that the best safety equipment and procedures are in place. Beyond that, get out of the way and let the racing commence. Micro managing competition and complex rules always carry unforseen negative consequences.

One thing that is a given however is that major changes in equipment rules will carry a much higher cost that any other path. Racing organizations are forever tempted to adopt new car specs that will "lower the costs." This is so contrary to all the evidence that by now I sould think they would be embarrassed to give voice to such absurdities.

oc