PDA

View Full Version : Texas ratings are in... and they suck. Beyond suck.

FCYTravis
06-17-04, 04:46 PM
IRL race on ESPN: 0.4/0.8 share (339,000 households)

The flagship race of the series gets... chicken scratch. That's an overnight too, folks, and the IRL's trend has been to drop from overnights, so 0.4 isn't even rock bottom.

Truly pathetic. Truly frickin' pathetic.

Thanks Tony, you done fixed open-wheel racing good this time.

Car-B-Q
06-17-04, 04:49 PM
They just don't know what Texas means.

Racewriter
06-17-04, 04:52 PM
On cable, there are no overnights/finals. The 0.4 is the rating.

Complete suckery.

pchall
06-17-04, 04:52 PM
Sucky ratings and a thin crowd. Way to fix openwheel you morons.

Don Quixote
06-17-04, 05:04 PM
Somebody needs to go check the spin at TF. I can't bear to watch.

RichK
06-17-04, 05:06 PM
But there were 100,000 fans in the stands! Paul Page said so.

SteveH
06-17-04, 05:21 PM
Here's the TF disucssion - well, its sort of a discussion, more like avoidance of discussion. But the critical thinkers here proclaim it a victory as it exceeds any Champ Car rating.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45344

Mr. Vengeance
06-17-04, 05:29 PM
But there were 100,000 fans in the stands! Paul Page said so.

Page was probably hammered again and seeing double. No wonder they're always side by side.

Turn7
06-17-04, 05:42 PM
.4, didn't they get a .3 or .4 last year for that race?

DaveL
06-17-04, 06:37 PM
They have a ready made list of excuses, and the true Lemmings will still insist that it has nothing to do with the product ("the best racing on the planet") and the rejection thereof by racing fans and claim "growth" anyway.

The money spent by the mfgs are creating the same illusion of prosperity that existed with CART and we all so how durable that was. The Lemmings can enjoy the false prosperity while the can. It will end.

And as for the "racing" they put on, the car on the inside or outside may perpetually be "still there, still there, still there, still there", but the fans are not. If it's any consolation to the Earl faithful, the rate of decline will level off, if only because there are less and less fans left to alienate.

Joe in LA
06-17-04, 06:44 PM
There's been tremedous "growth" in open wheel racing since 1996--growth in the number of people who couldn't care less each year.

DaveL
06-17-04, 07:08 PM
Oh, oh, I just thought of how they can spin it: The rating was higher than Motegi, so the ratings are growing.

They should pay me for this stuff.

Jag_Warrior
06-17-04, 07:10 PM

That's what I'm curious to know.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :confused:

DaveL
06-17-04, 07:25 PM
I almost forgot...

The fabulous IRL, by the numbers :thumbup:

Brickman
06-17-04, 07:53 PM
Ratings will be bad unless they are on ABC, and even then they will suffer going from cable obscurity to network TV and back again...

If they were smart they would run Saturday or Saturday night races at the same time, same channel on Network TV.

Mr. Vengeance
06-17-04, 08:01 PM
Ratings will be bad unless they are on ABC, and even then they will suffer going from cable obscurity to network TV and back again...

If they were smart they would run Saturday or Saturday night races at the same time, same channel on Network TV.

Ratings will be bad irrespective of what network they're on, or what time they run the programming. The products blows and the series has nearly no fans. Bottom line: nobody cares.

If they were smart, they'd fold up their tent and write it off as a learning experience...

FCYTravis
06-17-04, 08:03 PM
write it off as a learning experience...
Yes, they learned How To Ruin Open-Wheel Racing Without Even Trying (Very Hard).

Brickman
06-17-04, 08:07 PM
Ratings will be bad irrespective of what network they're on, or what time they run the programming. The products blows and the series has nearly no fans. Bottom line: nobody cares.

If they were smart, they'd fold up their tent and write it off as a learning experience...

You could put all of open wheel under the tent of bad ratings. The newbies of NASCAR are even learning.

Napoleon
06-17-04, 08:13 PM

Texas rating have always sucked in comparison to what they get for other races. They have long needed to get away from night races.

DaveL
06-17-04, 08:15 PM
You could put all of open wheel under the tent of bad ratings.

We aren't talking about all of open wheel. We are talking about the series that was supposed to be solution to the problem that was CART.

Try to keep up.

Car-B-Q
06-17-04, 08:29 PM
All the earl ratings (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16512) from the beginning

Brickman
06-17-04, 08:29 PM
We aren't talking about all of open wheel. We are talking about the series that was supposed to be solution to the problem that was CART.

Try to keep up.

I guess that's a good thing. :o

Back to on topic, I myself don't tune in ESPN or the duce anymore, I wonder who does? The IRL needs to be on network and not on ESPN or espn2 if they ever want to climb out of the cellar of TV ratings. Bet they will emulate Champ Car by packaging their broadcasts. Tape on Saturday, ABC to play on Sunday.

Brickman
06-17-04, 08:32 PM
All the earl ratings (http://www.champcarfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16512) from the beginning

They need mid 1.5's, sub 1.0's on ABC is bad. The blips on ESPN even worse.

Mr. Vengeance
06-17-04, 08:35 PM
Personally, I think the IRL should just stay the course.

They're doing a fine job.

DaveL
06-17-04, 09:28 PM
The IRL needs to be on network and not on ESPN or espn2 if they ever want to climb out of the cellar of TV ratings.

The IRL needs a product racing fans want to see without alienating huge chunks of the fan base if wants to climb into whole digits even on network TV where it gets sub 1.0s these days.

The time for excuses came and went. The IRL was announced 10 years ago and have been on the track for 9 seasons. The time for the "breakout" came and went. You know as well as I, Brickman, that the IRL has been nothing more than a decade long experiement to see how many fans can be alienated. Fix that problem, and the you fix the fundamental problem that series has faced since July of 1994.

fourrunner
06-17-04, 09:33 PM
Last year (2003) was 0.4/1.0 this years was 0.4/.08 (339,000 households) down 20% and 2003 was down from 2002

150,000 of those thought the were watching Queer Eye! ;)

Brickman
06-18-04, 02:31 AM
The IRL needs a product racing fans want to see without alienating huge chunks of the fan base if wants to climb into whole digits even on network TV where it gets sub 1.0s these days.

The time for excuses came and went. The IRL was announced 10 years ago and have been on the track for 9 seasons. The time for the "breakout" came and went. You know as well as I, Brickman, that the IRL has been nothing more than a decade long experiement to see how many fans can be alienated. Fix that problem, and the you fix the fundamental problem that series has faced since July of 1994.

Therein lies the problem. Half alienation, half failure. Having George step down would partly mend fences, but the momentum cars appeal to few. I don't think of it as an experiment but a failed power grab, he has all the manufacturers, sponsors, network TV, and only a third of the fans. That's the existing third, Champ Car has the other two thirds, and the others walked away.

It would be nice to be frozen and come back in a 5-10 years and see if they fix this mess. "I only hope the damage he's done to open-wheel racing can be repaired." Truer words were never spoken.

JohnHKart
06-18-04, 06:20 AM
The only thing left watching on ESPN2 these days is NHRA. The racing is great, and it's not been ruined by morons like TG yet.

John

Madmaxfan2
06-18-04, 09:29 AM

You have it wrong! It is the lack of a good bradcasting partner. Just ask "media insider" Defender at TF, the resident IRL expert. Change broadcasters and the IRL will finaly beat NASCAR and F1, just like Tony said. :rolleyes:

Don Quixote
06-18-04, 09:38 AM
... the IRL has been nothing more than a decade long experiement to see how many fans can be alienated. Fix that problem, and the you fix the fundamental problem that series has faced since July of 1994.
The experiment is hardly over. There are many more ways to alienate fans, some of which we have never thought of. Now, waiting for the next screw job on the fans is the only thing that is even somewhat interesting.

Sean O'Gorman
06-18-04, 12:59 PM
You have it wrong! It is the lack of a good bradcasting partner. Just ask "media insider" Defender at TF, the resident IRL expert. Change broadcasters and the IRL will finaly beat NASCAR and F1, just like Tony said. :rolleyes:

Duh! Dollar for dollar, its the greatest value in motorsports! :gomer: