PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman Comments

oddlycalm
06-17-04, 03:53 PM
Not a lot new here, but the author actually listened to what Newman has to say. Steve Duin is not a reporter, he's an op/ed writer.

A Good Use For Shameless Exploitation (http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/1087473349214950.xml?oregonian?ylccsd)

oc

dando
06-17-04, 04:01 PM
Not a lot new here, but the author actually listened to what Newman has to say. Steve Duin is not a reporter, he's an op/ed writer.

A Good Use For Shameless Exploitation (http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/1087473349214950.xml?oregonian?ylccsd)

oc
Nice piece....the no live TV reference is incorrect, tho.

-Kevin

stymie
06-17-04, 04:14 PM
Sounds like Newman is making plans for continuing his team after Haas departs, whether with Tom Cruise, someone else or himself.

Opposite Lock
06-17-04, 04:28 PM
Nice "road to perdition" usage on the part of the writer!

oddlycalm
06-17-04, 04:29 PM
Sounds like Newman is making plans for continuing his team after Haas departs, whether with Tom Cruise, someone else or himself.

That's my read as well, and that would certainly be good news. Newman is a busy guy, and Cruise even more, but if they had a strong manager in place it could work fine. This is a big issue. Without any credible competition, CCWS become the Three Amigos Racing Show.

oc

FTG
06-17-04, 04:42 PM
What a devasting blow if we lose Hass and can only replace him with Cruise. :rolleyes:

fourrunner
06-17-04, 04:44 PM
Got to love the fact that Paul Newman still has a little of the "mischief" in him after all these years.

Seems like he's in the same boat at not knowing what Haas will eventually do... Even Haas isn't sure yet, from what I get from his Press conversations the other day. He definitely said that NOTHING had been decided or signed, as was rumored.

I'm guessing Haas is thinking long and hard about breaking up such a successful partnership !

I said in another thread that at 76 years of age, Carl Haas doesn't want the possible "Last" Business decision of his life, turn out to be the Dumnest ! ;)

Car-B-Q
06-17-04, 04:57 PM
"I'm staying with Champ Car."

"Just raise hell and behave badly."

Two quotes that pretty much sum up Mr. Newman. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
06-17-04, 05:33 PM
Got to love the fact that Paul Newman still has a little of the "mischief" in him after all these years.

Yep, he's still got it going on. What I observed around here today when I spoke with non-fans that read this editorial was that they immediately grasped what happened to Champ Car racing and also understood who the good guys and the bad guys are. The reality is that Paul Newman has better name recognition than the Indy 500 these days, and what's more, his credibility remains intact.

oc

mueber
06-17-04, 05:37 PM
Name recognition-wise, Paul Newman doesn’t need to partner with anyone.

It WOULD be great if he could talk a few celebs into partnering with other team owners, it would be helpful: Cruise-Fittipaldi? How about Nicholson-Andretti? Hanks-Bachelart? Better yet, Judd-Coyne.

Wally
06-17-04, 06:18 PM
Kudos to Duin for actually getting the facts and events of the split correct rather than writing the usual race weekend earl biased bash column...... :thumbup:

Good Bless Paul Newman.

oddlycalm
06-17-04, 07:09 PM
Kudos to Duin for actually getting the facts and events of the split correct rather than writing the usual race weekend earl biased bash column...... :thumbup:

Yeah, it's nice to have a well read local editorial writer fire a subtle shot across the bow of the EARL and it's local shills Peter Jacobson, Bob Ames and Bill Hildick. It may make a bigger difference than anyone can imagine when it gets down to negotiations over next years race.

Duin is also well regarded here at Mildew Manor for revealing the irony of all the small companies getting stiffed when billionaire Paul Allen's ArenaCorp declared bankruptcy while at the same time Allen was spending $400 million on the worlds largest yacht. :shakehead

Apparently Allen didn't like the bond rates he had negotiated with his lenders to build the Rosegarden arena, and his mismanagement of the Trailblazers basketball franchise resulted in poor attendence over the last few years. Apparently Portland basketball fans won't pay up to watch street thugs lose at round ball. Rather than taking responsibility, getting his house in order and moving forward, Allen chose to stick it to the small local businesses that provide everything from golf carts to meat for the concession stands by declaring bankruptcy. :thumdown:

oc

datachicane
06-17-04, 07:27 PM
Even Haas isn't sure yet, from what I get from his Press conversations the other day. He definitely said that NOTHING had been decided or signed, as was rumored.

Haas' claims of continued indecision sound exactly like quotes from Penske and Ganassi a couple of years back. This is no coincidence, IMHO.
"Everything up in the air", my ass.

Thanks to Newman, Haas' defection will be of little consequence, except, and this is the part that worries me, for what it portends for Lola.
What if Haas isn't who FTG et al are interested in this time? What if he's just collateral damage?

audi quattro
06-17-04, 09:41 PM
some dipswitch at CF is calling newman a bitter man.
what a sorry excuse for a human being who calls paul newman a bitter man.
perhaps his life revolves around a roundy roundy series and has nothing else
to judge it against?

fourrunner
06-17-04, 10:18 PM
Haas' claims of continued indecision sound exactly like quotes from Penske and Ganassi a couple of years back. This is no coincidence, IMHO.
"Everything up in the air", my ass.

Thanks to Newman, Haas' defection will be of little consequence, except, and this is the part that worries me, for what it portends for Lola.
What if Haas isn't who FTG et al are interested in this time? What if he's just collateral damage?

Previous experience & history say that you are right. What makes me "want" to disagree in this case is that Haas has stayed, while the others have left.
I know part of this is because of Paul Newman strong convictions and loyalty to CART and Champ Car.

I'm sure the offer is there, I'm sure that Haas is thinking about it, but he's had the oportunity before and has resisted it... Who knows, maybe the temptation and the money has weakened him. I still want to believe that Haas is as "wise" as PLN ... even though the others have proven otherwise.

I'll guess we'll see!!

mueber
06-18-04, 01:13 PM
I'm not going to condemn Haas unless he pulls out, but, lets be realistic, nothing he said lately is positive on staying in champcars, and it sounds like Newman is resigned to his leaving.

oddlycalm
06-18-04, 01:50 PM

This qualifies as world class delusion. It's a perfect 180 degrees out of phase with reality, as Newman is probably the least bitter person I can think of outside of the Dali Lama.

oc

audi quattro
06-18-04, 02:09 PM
This qualifies as world class delusion. It's a perfect 180 degrees out of phase with reality, as Newman is probably the least bitter person I can think of outside of the Dali Lama.

oc

apparently, everyone who hasn't followed over to the earl are bitter!
I guess then, everyone who follows the earl are in la la land? :shakehead

Jag_Warrior
06-19-04, 02:44 PM
what a sorry excuse for a human being who calls paul newman a bitter man.
perhaps his life revolves around a roundy roundy series and has nothing else
to judge it against?

I doubt any of them have enough sense to create an original thought. The "bitter old man" thing was probably lifted from a web piece I read a week or two ago.

Men like Paul Newman and Clint Eastwood (does he like racing? :) ) are legends. And unlike Indy, their stars still shine.

The loss that bothered me the most was David Letterman. After suggesting that Howie Katz should come out of the closet, I never thought he'd go IRL'ing... but ya never know. Now he's probably glad that he did. Oh well. :(

Wonder if Haas/ Lola would give up the entire Champ car grid just to get a portion of the IRL grid (at a cheaper per car price)??? Probably only if TG/Honda would write a big enough check up front, but that would make NO (financial) sense. Even if CCWS was dead, Lola would lose money overall... from that day forward.

Clown
06-19-04, 10:36 PM
:thumbup:

Dougrun
06-20-04, 12:47 AM
watching local news here in portland, they interviewed him on the rumours that the IRL were coming. He said (paraphrasing) that "the indy500 used to be the best race on earth, and look what he (TG) did to it. Why would you want him to come to portland?". I almost died laughing!

pchall
06-20-04, 06:38 AM
watching local news here in portland, they interviewed him on the rumours that the IRL were coming. He said (paraphrasing) that "the indy500 used to be the best race on earth, and look what he (TG) did to it. Why would you want him to come to portland?". I almost died laughing!

PLN gets it. He's a racer and a fan.