PDA

View Full Version : RM: The Edge of Mayhem

dando
06-16-04, 10:19 PM
linky (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/11546/)

Miraculously, despite all this wild west stuff, the IRL has never had the "big one" at Texas. They've never put a car into the grandstand or a driver in the morgue. Kenny Brack was seriously injured last year after rubbing wheels in one of the nastiest accidents ever.

Yet how much longer can this luck continue?

Saturday night there were a minimum of three potential disasters -- with cars rubbing wheels on the straightaway at 210 mph and somehow not climbing and flipping down the track.

Precisely what I was thinking while catching a bit of this crappy race....when is the big one going to happen?

-Kevin

racer2c
06-16-04, 10:34 PM

Precisely what I was thinking while catching a bit of this crappy race....when is the big one going to happen?

-Kevin

Me too. Definitely not the way to win new fans. At least not race fans that is. Crash fans suck. :thumdown:

dando
06-16-04, 10:47 PM
Me too. Definitely not the way to win new fans. At least not race fans that is. Crash fans suck. :thumdown:
Kinda explains why the NASCAB fans were 'converted', eh? :shakehead

-Kevin

cart7
06-16-04, 10:51 PM

-Kevin
Well, it did in Atlanta 3 years ago. The crash seen from space.

As Robin says, it's been in Gods hands so far and he's been very gracious to the drivers, teams and fans of that series in that regard. It's only a matter of time though.

KobySon
06-17-04, 10:34 AM
the article reminded me of Dario complaining about safety standards at laguna seca. then it struck me that in my limited reading of irl articles over the years, i don't recall any driver complaining about safety, ever.

Don Quixote
06-17-04, 12:20 PM
the article reminded me of Dario complaining about safety standards at laguna seca. then it struck me that in my limited reading of irl articles over the years, i don't recall any driver complaining about safety, ever.
I have been thinking this as well. Remember how Mikey was always moaning about how unsafe it was to race on this oval or that oval (ie Michigan, Fontana, Texas, etc.)? Don't hear much of that these days.

Brickman
06-17-04, 12:38 PM
I have been thinking this as well. Remember how Mikey was always moaning about how unsafe it was to race on this oval or that oval (ie Michigan, Fontana, Texas, etc.)? Don't hear much of that these days.

Strangely you don't. But Brian Herta clearly isn't in a comfort zone. After Kentucky (I think) and after Texas his expressions and words clearly indicate that this isn't why he became a race car driver. He doesn't come out and say it, but by god he shows it. I passed on Texas again.

TurboTodd
06-17-04, 12:56 PM
Strangely you don't. But Brian Herta clearly isn't in a comfort zone. After Kentucky (I think) and after Texas his expressions and words clearly indicate that this isn't why he became a race car driver. He doesn't come out and say it, but by god he shows it. I passed on Texas again.

Actually Herta did come out and say it a few times on his incar audio on Saturday night. He was VERY upset with drivers not holding lines, etc. He was emphatic, and colorful in his language.

IRL Race control also broke in a couple of times, once saying "get in a line and run around" in reference to some mindless moves drivers were making going into Texas 3.

oddlycalm
06-17-04, 03:46 PM
then it struck me that in my limited reading of irl articles over the years, i don't recall any driver complaining about safety, ever.

Welcome back to the USAC Trail.....um, I mean EARL, where driver safety always takes a back seat to the show and interests of the promoter.

This is the 2nd thread this week which has clearly illustrated that by going to the EARL the teams have voluntarily given up on issues ranging from driver safety to transparency in how the prize money is paid out regarding the Tony Tax/Field Filler Tax.

The next leap of faith, according to Brainfart, is to go roadracing in the medium term future is cars that will only have been tested on a road course beginning next fall for a few sessions before the season 2005 commences.... :rolleyes: :laugh: Apparently they plan to do the chassis development while on the clock with the fans paying. Should be interesting if the diffy, or some other minor part, decides to pack up on the entire field come race day. :shakehead

The only way this kind of BS flies is if the team owners go along with it, and they are. They knew what the EARL was about long before they went there, and they went willingly with wallets open. It's clear that neighther a track owner or the team owners are capable of looking out for the drivers and team members. An independent sanctioning body is desperately needed.

oc

SurfaceUnits
06-27-04, 08:18 PM
Incase you missed it, the Texas ratings: According to the overnights...
IRL race on ESPN: 0.4