PDA

View Full Version : I need an intervention!

racer2c
06-16-04, 10:15 PM
So I slip it into a conversation with my wife while the two of us were watching the Texas debacle, "uh, you know, Uh, these guys will be at RIR in two weeks. Uh, We could take the kids. Uh, It's a night race. Might be fun for the kids, Uh."
We live just 35 miles from RIR and I've boycotted every IRL race. But, seeing as how we both 'know' the drivers and the teams and thinking about how my daughter and her cousin would love a night race like that I'm torn. I mean, really, truly torn. I would feel like a complete and utter traitor to my beloved Champ Car if I went. On the other hand I could don my finest Champ Car apparel and at least feel better about myself.
What to do, what to do? I turn to my OC collegeus...help!

Railbird
06-16-04, 10:23 PM
A night show 35 miles from home?

I know I'm no help but I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I love night races and that little joint would be hoot.

racer2c
06-16-04, 10:28 PM

You're not helping 'bird! :mad: :D I'm trying to get talked out of it! You've got me looking at the RIR ticket page, which by the way has a very cool 3d seat selector where you can check out, through a little Flash jobbie, what the track looks like from your seat. Pretty slick.

jonovision_man
06-16-04, 10:31 PM
You're not helping 'bird! :mad: :D I'm trying to get talked out of it! You've got me looking at the RIR ticket page, which by the way has a very cool 3d seat selector where you can check out, through a little Flash jobbie, what the track looks like from your seat. Pretty slick.

If they're a nickle more than free, you're paying too much. ;)

I'd go.

L1P1
06-16-04, 10:37 PM
Take 'em karting. Much more fun will be had - and no guilt.

Methanolandbrats
06-16-04, 10:50 PM
Don't do it. You'll feel dirty for the rest of your life. If you want to see a night race, go to any of the local tracks and watch the grassroots guys go at it.

dando
06-16-04, 10:53 PM
Take 'em karting. Much more fun will be had - and no guilt.

Amen, brother!

-Kevin

cart7
06-16-04, 10:54 PM
C'mon, how could you ever live with yourself if you blew the only chance you had to see Matsura in the early years driving a 3.0. :gomer:

nissan gtp
06-16-04, 11:02 PM
I live about the same distance away....

I confess that I went a couple of years ago. Took the family with a bud and his wife and kids.
The race was ok... beautiful evening, cool and clear (very unusual around here)... lots of busted up crapwagons, wreckter stuffed it if I remember... Horndog :somehow: won in the last few laps.

I've never gone back. Go over to Buds Creek and watch the bikes instead.

dando
06-16-04, 11:05 PM
C'mon, how could you ever live with yourself if you blew the only chance you had to see Matsura in the early years driving a 3.0. :gomer:
:rofl:

Classic! As a fondly recall my memories of Hiro and Vitolo @ MIS... :)

-Kevin

Lizzerd
06-16-04, 11:15 PM
If you do go, wear your Champ Car garb proudly. I wore a Paul Tracy tee at the irl 450 this year and didn't even draw a dirty look (that I saw).

Sean O'Gorman
06-17-04, 12:07 AM
I assume you'll be attending 3 Champ Car races to even things out, right?

sundaydriver2
06-17-04, 12:13 AM
Dont do it. The Idiotgrandson does not deserve your money.

Do it for the kids. :thumbup:

chop456
06-17-04, 01:17 AM
Why?

There are plenty of other things to do with the kids.

Eagle104
06-17-04, 01:31 AM
'2c...i hope you realize that if you go, it'll forever be on your record.

That's not a threat -- it's a warning. :gomer: :laugh:

Ankf00
06-17-04, 01:39 AM
wait, YOU'RE contemplating going to an irl race? :saywhat:

Kiwifan
06-17-04, 02:18 AM
I feel your pain in this and I can't answer for you. However, I spend about $NZ8000.00 a year going to and spending money at Surfers but I wouldn't spend eight bucks on the IRL. ;)

This is in no way saying those here that enjoy both Series are wrong, it's just the way I feel. It's hard to explain and the crazy thing is with the Teams, Drivers and Tracks being former CART related you think it would be easy, I mean Dixon is a Kiwi, but..........there has just been too much dirt, too many lies, too many visions and the damn cars are still butt ugly. Sadly, there's just no passion.

I guess if you do go you'll just have to wear the gear and wave the flag. ;)

Rusty.

Napoleon
06-17-04, 05:39 AM
Don't do it!

Robstar
06-17-04, 05:48 AM
"Forgive me Father for I have sinned..."

I admire your honesty ! :thumbup:

Just go, & tell everyone here that you didn't... :D

35 miles schmiles - Don't do it, you will never forgive yourself...

(& you're kiddies might catch THAT disease... ;))

Warlock!
06-17-04, 07:47 AM
Dumb idea. Don't go.

'Bird's frickin' lost... ;)

Redwing
06-17-04, 08:26 AM
My name is Redwing, and I attended the 2003 Indy 500.

Go, it's the only way to cure you forever.

Night Train
06-17-04, 09:09 AM
I've already turned down free tickets to Richmond!

Robstar
06-17-04, 09:27 AM
My name is Redwing, and I attended the 2003 Indy 500.

Go, it's the only way to cure you forever.

:rofl: :thumbup:

Michaelhatesfans
06-17-04, 11:12 AM
Look, you're halfway there - you've admitted that you have a problem. That's the hard part.

Now - make some calls, find yourself a nice campsite, load up the car, drive out into the boonies, put up the tent, build a bonfire, and let the kids roast marshmallows. You've got the rest of the weekend in the woods. The kids will love it, and you'll be crapwagon free.

Be strong, brother.

TravelGal
06-17-04, 11:41 AM
I'll intervene.

If you're toying with this idea because you love racing, you won't like this. It's not real racing.

If you're wanting a nice weekend outside with the family, see ^^^^^ and go camping.

And just remember, people vote with their feet and their wallets. Don't put them in the wrong place.

cart7
06-17-04, 11:52 AM
All kidding aside r2c, just explain to the wife that you're concerned that the earl has never fixed the flying car problem. Explain to her about the large pieces of debris flying into the stands at 200 mph and I'm sure she'll be happy to go anywhere but there. ;)

Railbird
06-26-04, 08:14 PM
So I'm sitting in my garage watching the race with burgers on the grill and a question popped to mind:

Did ya go 2c?

Peter Venkman
06-27-04, 12:10 AM

Railbird,

I wouldn't attend one of their "shows" if it were in my backyard, and my kid is pretty good friends with Buddy Rice.

Didn't he win an IRL "show" recently?

Railbird
06-27-04, 03:37 AM
Peter

I'm impressed.

both with you and your kid.

Now, while you weren't there did you also happen to not read 2c's mind?

cart7
06-27-04, 07:42 AM
I'll bet 2c is too embarrassed to repost on this. I can see it now, he gets to the track, the kids see the Sarah Merchandise trailer and is forced to buy the young'ens Sarah T-shirts. :rofl:

racer2c
06-28-04, 10:35 AM
Man what a weekend! Two absolutely gorgeous days! I got in almost five hours of motorcycle riding with my drinking buddies, I mean riding buddies ( ;) ), made the wife extremely happy by doing lots of the stuff she wanted me to do in the yard, (built flower boxes for the deck, and framed in the bushes with landscape timbers)...oh yeah, the IRL race.

Well, I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that we were going to go. I mean, heck, even my 13 year old daughter knows half the drivers due to years of going to CART races. I had mentioned to my brother in law, who's son is the same age as my daughter and who has never seen a auto race before that we should hop in his mini-van and head on down. This was last week and his son was in soccer camp. They were going to pick him up Saturday morning, but for some reason decided to pick him up on Sunday. So their out. So I asked my wife and daughter. "Do you guys want to head down? (my wife didn't want to go, she hates the IRL and won't even watch one on TV). She mulled over the question for a full two seconds and said, "No. Why don't the tow of you go?". I think, Yeah, a father/daughter race. So I knock on her bedroom door and before I can utter a word she says "So and so is having a pool party tonight. Can I go?" I mention the race and she says "but there's a pool party".

I ended up watching it on TV by myself.

We will probably try it again next year.

Chaos
06-28-04, 10:40 AM
something tells me you didn't really fight too hard against the pool party :p

Andrew Longman
06-28-04, 11:00 AM
I went to the IRL race in Nazareth two years ago. Nazareth is only 30 miles away and I was curious.

The racing sucked.

I literally didn't feel like I fit in. Everyone was wearing these cheezy blue IRL hats they were given with their free tickets.

The highlight was when TG sat down across the aisle from me and my nine year old asked if he could throw his soda can at him. MAde me smile even though I told him no.

Michaelhatesfans
06-28-04, 11:38 AM
I ended up watching it on TV by myself.

We will probably try it again next year.
Ok, so we still have a bit of work to do, but we've got time. The thing is, you're past the first hurdle. Be strong. Put this on a some post-it notes, and place them around your house.

"God, grant me the serenity to see Tony George for the loser that he is,
The courage to say FTG,
And the wisdom not to attend his races."