PDA

View Full Version : USGP Weather?

dirtyboy
06-16-04, 04:45 PM
According to this (http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USIN0305?from=search_city) there are going to be “Isolated T-Storms” on both Saturday and Sunday. I know what I thunderstorm is like on the west coast but what is it like in the mid-west? Does it rain or is it just thunder and lightning? Should I bring some type of raincoat?

Warlock!
06-16-04, 05:06 PM
Should I bring some type of raincoat?
Yes, a raincoat would be a good idea. And buckets... for bailing. I heard Indy has gotten over 3" of rain since last night. We may have to crowd you in the camper if it keeps up, lest you float away...

:saywhat:

Warlock!

Cam
06-16-04, 05:09 PM
Yes, a raincoat would be a good idea. And buckets... for bailing. I heard Indy has gotten over 3" of rain since last night. We may have to crowd you in the camper if it keeps up, lest you float away...

:saywhat:

Warlock!

We got really dumped on this morning! :eek: The forcasts are saying 30% chance... I guess that means it will be hit and miss. Might rain and hit one end of the track and miss the other end. :rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
06-16-04, 05:21 PM
According to this (http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USIN0305?from=search_city) there are going to be “Isolated T-Storms” on both Saturday and Sunday. I know what I thunderstorm is like on the west coast but what is it like in the mid-west? Does it rain or is it just thunder and lightning? Should I bring some type of raincoat? It looks like very nice weather friday and increasing humidity from then on. Isolated means no frontal rain that lasts for hours, but anything from being peed on for a few minutes to drowned in a few minutes is possible. Bring a rain jacket. A million volts in the top of your head and out your *** is possible too, but it's not likely. Have fun.

Lizzerd
06-16-04, 05:41 PM
You can never tell about the weather here in Indy this time of year. Some of the storms can be monsters, dumping buckets of water, some have more wind and horizontal rain, some just a lot of lightning and rain.

To answer your question about rain gear, are you kidding me? I was a Boy Scout, and "be prepared" was our motto. Yes, bring your rain gear, AND rain boots or shoes. Squishy sneakers and wet socks are the pits. Also, you never know how cool it might be after a storm or rain at night, so bring a jacket, too.

Railbird
06-16-04, 05:43 PM
it's gonna be warm one way or the other so just wad up a pancho and go for it.

dirtyboy
06-16-04, 06:05 PM
Yes, bring your rain gear, AND rain boots or shoes. Squishy sneakers and wet socks are the pits. Dude I live in LA, why would I have rain boots? I think I have a pair of Doc Martins from about 1993 somewhere.

Can one of you guys pack a tarp for me?

Lizzerd
06-16-04, 06:12 PM
Dude I live in LA, why would I have rain boots? I think I have a pair of Doc Martins from about 1993 somewhere.

Hahaha... I didn't mean hip waders, db. My "rain boots" are ankle high waterproof hiking boots. Is that what a Doc Martin is?

A tarp might be able to be arranged, too...

Spicoli
06-16-04, 06:25 PM
Dude I live in LA, why would I have rain boots? I think I have a pair of Doc Martins from about 1993 somewhere.

Dood - make your sponsor pay for stuff like this.

I agree with all above. It's crazy this time of year. But like Rail says - at least it will be warm.

Boots and pancho? Mandatory dood.

RTKar
06-16-04, 08:49 PM
Man...the weather, last years wet conditions were really cool. It's great seeing rooster tails off an F1 car. I actually wouldn't mind a little rain to spice things up but the quasi-spring thunder storm thing sucks...lightning, tornados...I'm kinda bummed the race was moved from September, later in the year the temps were more moderate...none of that 90 deg's and humid crap.

Railbird
06-16-04, 09:12 PM
I liked the fall date better myself, but it's Bernie and you get what you get.

Just ask TG

I think some rain would be pretty cool. I haven't been to anything but ovals so far this year and I am welcoming the fact that I don't give a damn whether it rains or not this weekend. Nothing cooler than walking through the pre race crowd in the rain at IMS and hearing no jet dryers. Kinda sureal for an Indycentric like myself.

Don't sweat the lightning, odds are it won't hit you and if it does it won't hurt for long.

RTKar
06-16-04, 09:18 PM
It is rather nice going to IMS knowing you're going to see a race on the day it's scheduled come hell or high water....but come to think of it, I've said that about RA a few times too...

Lizzerd
06-16-04, 09:26 PM
Don't sweat the lightning, odds are it won't hit you and if it does it won't hurt for long.

I'm gonna stray off topic here for a minute... sorry.

Several years ago, late 80's I worked in the Indianapolis office of a Silicon Valley company. We were doing a new product presentation in a hotel banquet room and one of the factory reps (marketing group) was a young lady shortly out of college. She was born and raised in California and had hardly left the state in her lifetime at the time. On the day of the seminar, there was a thunder shower with moderate rain and quite a bit of lightning. She had hardly ever seen any before and was intrigued by it. I said something like "yeah, thiis isn't so bad, though. It will probably only kill a couple dozen people just here in town." Her eyes got as big as basketballs and it was all I could do to convince her I was joking.