PDA

View Full Version : Portland on Spike

G.
06-16-04, 11:10 AM
Since the race is being held at 4:00 PM ET, this means we get the live feed!

Anyone know what Spike will do if it runs over the 2 hour limit? I can't imagine that Spike will bump it for an episode of Star Trek, TNG or MXE...

Happy Father's Day. Now get me another brew.

JBH
06-16-04, 11:59 AM
Anyone know what Spike will do if it runs over the 2 hour limit? I can't imagine that Spike will bump it for an episode of Star Trek, TNG or MXE...

Unless OWRS buys additional time beyond the 2hrs, Spike probably will.

Steve99
06-16-04, 01:22 PM
The races have shorter time limits this year that should prevent that from being a problem. Unless there is a huge storm or something.

Insomniac
06-16-04, 01:54 PM
The races have shorter time limits this year that should prevent that from being a problem. Unless there is a huge storm or something.

Yup, we're safe. As you said, unless there is a storm like RA in 2001. But, I don't think Portland has the same drainage problems RA has.

dreamracer
06-16-04, 04:03 PM
the weather forecast for the next week is 85 and sunny. not an issue.

CART License
06-16-04, 06:01 PM
Since the race is being held at 4:00 PM ET, this means we get the live feed!

Champ Car Racing

Next Show Time: Sunday June 20, 4:00 PM (ET/PT)

I read this as 4:00 Eastern and Pacific, Also thought “all” events were at 4:00

dreamracer
06-16-04, 06:03 PM
Champ Car Racing

Next Show Time: Sunday June 20, 4:00 PM (ET/PT)

I read this as 4:00 Eastern and Pacific, Also thought “all” events were at 4:00
I think you're right. it will be tape delayed here anyway. so they can cut it down.

but it will be live on the east coast

KLang
06-17-04, 06:40 AM
I think you're right. it will be tape delayed here anyway. so they can cut it down.

but it will be live on the east coast

Be carefull, if you get Spike from Dish or Directtv satellite you will be getting the east coast feed.

Robstar
06-17-04, 07:52 AM
SURELY (if the race did manage to go over 180mins) they couldn't bump it in the dying laps ? :confused:

Even N10 (your alleged home of motorsports) over here, would realise the fallout from that... one would hope... :rolleyes:

JBH
06-17-04, 08:19 AM
SURELY (if the race did manage to go over 180mins) they couldn't bump it in the dying laps ? :confused:

Even N10 (your alleged home of motorsports) over here, would realise the fallout from that... one would hope... :rolleyes:

Although I agree that it’s probably a non-issue for this week’s race, this does highlight one of the problems with the Spike time buy deal. The cold hard fact is, under the current agreement, all Spike is required to do is provide 2 hours of airtime. So if a race does run long for whatever reason the fans are indeed SOL! OWRS bought 2hrs of airtime, 2hrs of airtime they will get.

Turn7
06-17-04, 08:30 AM
Spike is a supplement to Race Director. If you are concearned about missing the end of the race, then I suggest that you subscribe to the service. That is the solution. Although you may not like it, it is much better than nothing.

( :thumbup: JBH, good to see you posting again. Thank you for your service to the United States. :thumbup: )

Robstar
06-17-04, 09:18 AM
Although I agree that it’s probably a non-issue for this week’s race, this does highlight one of the problems with the Spike time buy deal. The cold hard fact is, under the current agreement, all Spike is required to do is provide 2 hours of airtime. So if a race does run long for whatever reason the fans are indeed SOL! OWRS bought 2hrs of airtime, 2hrs of airtime they will get.

Could be just the conspiritist (?) in me, but could this be the reason why FCY's,Pit Windows & the like are in, given die-hards opposition... ?

(have a cleansing ale & get to bed Robstar :shakehead )

Insomniac
06-17-04, 09:49 AM
Where are you getting the idea that it is a time buy? For once it seems like there are advertisers that you just know OWRS did not bring in themselves. Plus there is promotion. Seems odd that OWRS would buy time and then Spike would sell the advertising.

JBH
06-17-04, 10:18 AM
Where are you getting the idea that it is a time buy?.

Because it is. I can’t locate a link to confirm it but, it was said to be a time buy when the tv deal with Spike was first announced. I don’t believe that it’s even been in dispute that it was a time buy.

oddlycalm
06-17-04, 01:54 PM
Yeah, it's a time buy just like it's been for the last several years.

BTW, weekend the race weather looks to be blue skies and temps in the low 90's, so rain doesn't look to be a factor this year.

oc

Insomniac
06-17-04, 04:09 PM
I wonder how it works. As I said, it doesn't look like OWRS is selling the advertising.

Dougrun
06-19-04, 12:40 AM
the weather forecast for the next week is 85 and sunny. not an issue.

well, it's 85 all right, but sunny?...
http://www.phototiming.com/pics/p04/1.jpg
maybe not. This was me taking a shot as I got into Portland. In doing so I missed my exit to stay on I-5. :saywhat:

so I took a detour downtown...http://www.phototiming.com/pics/p04/2.jpg

and across a steel bridge...

http://www.phototiming.com/pics/p04/4.jpg

and eventually, to the track, actually my hotel is one exit past it but this photo is cooler.
http://www.phototiming.com/pics/p04/3.jpg

Ankf00
06-19-04, 10:26 AM
Where are you getting the idea that it is a time buy? For once it seems like there are advertisers that you just know OWRS did not bring in themselves. Plus there is promotion. Seems odd that OWRS would buy time and then Spike would sell the advertising.
even the last espn years were time buys

Insomniac
06-19-04, 03:06 PM
even the last espn years were time buys

Damn. I thought they at least paid them until they decided to back "TG's horse".