PDA

View Full Version : My Qualifying Idea

Chaos
06-16-04, 09:37 AM
Ok, after watching the qualifying live, this idea hit me....

I think the first qualification run to determine the order of the real qualification run is silly.

Also, some drivers have not liked the one lap rule. It is also very unforgiving. I don't mind the single lap qualifying, but the show should be the race, and not the qualifying.

So...my idea is to have 2 sets of qualifying sessions on saturday (like they have it now). But the times in the first session are used as qualification times for the race as well as setting the order for the 2nd qualification order. This system will essentially give each driver 2 hot laps. That way, the fans get 2 rounds of qualifying, and the driver can try to get the fastest lap without fear of going to the back of the pack on race day if he messes up one of the attempts.

Also, I recall there being criticism of not having enough action on the track for single car qualifying. I must say that the critism is not warranted in my opinion. The key though is to have screens that follow the car throughout the track. Of course, the screens make the race itself more enjoyable anyway.

Joe in LA
06-16-04, 11:21 AM
I didn't see a problem with the old system and think they should simply return to it.

Methanolandbrats
06-16-04, 11:26 AM
It's simple. Two practice sessions in the morning. Then a little time for twirling wrenches and lunch. Then a 1 hour open session for qualifying. A team can run 25 laps and risk killing the race motor. A team can run two laps and park it. They can wait for the track to rubber in or not. They can try to catch a weather window...etc...etc.... the old, simple system need no changing.

Chaos
06-16-04, 11:35 AM
but single car qualifying is good for sponsors. they get dedicated time on air around the globe.

Mike Kellner
06-16-04, 12:25 PM
I like single car, with some method of having the fast guys go last. I think order should be determined by either practice times, or current standing in the championship.

mk

cart7
06-16-04, 02:31 PM
I too like the single car method though I'm not taking to the qualifying setup being the race setup like I thought I would.

Mike Kellner
06-16-04, 03:02 PM
What about this? Put a control sticker on the motor, wings, undertray, and tires after the car qualifies, so they have to use the same ones, or go to the back row if they change anything, but allow them to work on the car, change the setup, and refuel the car. It seems silly (And possibly dangerous) to not allow the crews to prepare the car for the race.

Using fastest times on Friday to set qualifying order, and allowing three additional sets of tires for Friday practice, would insure a show that day. You could also try giving an extra set of tires on Saturday to cars that ran some minimum number of laps on Friday, if teams needed more motivation to get them on the track Friday.

mk

oddlycalm
06-16-04, 04:17 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I liked F1 quals both before and after the change. Both have their own challenges, drama and effect on the outcome. I also enjoyed seeing special qualifying setups run, particularly in the turbo period of special engines, tuning and special tires. I've also enjoyed seeing them forced to run their race setup as well with the driver forced to make one perfect lap.

For TV audiences having 20 minutes of zero track activity short of a Minardi running a couple laps wasn't ideal, and I suspect the TV people prefer the current arrangements.

oc

Insomniac
06-16-04, 07:01 PM
Ok, after watching the qualifying live, this idea hit me....

I think the first qualification run to determine the order of the real qualification run is silly.

Also, some drivers have not liked the one lap rule. It is also very unforgiving. I don't mind the single lap qualifying, but the show should be the race, and not the qualifying.

So...my idea is to have 2 sets of qualifying sessions on saturday (like they have it now). But the times in the first session are used as qualification times for the race as well as setting the order for the 2nd qualification order. This system will essentially give each driver 2 hot laps. That way, the fans get 2 rounds of qualifying, and the driver can try to get the fastest lap without fear of going to the back of the pack on race day if he messes up one of the attempts.

Also, I recall there being criticism of not having enough action on the track for single car qualifying. I must say that the critism is not warranted in my opinion. The key though is to have screens that follow the car throughout the track. Of course, the screens make the race itself more enjoyable anyway.

Are you saying they use the faster time between session one and session two, or only use the session one time for the race grid? Either way it seems pointless. Either session two means nothing or the times are pretty much useless because they go faster in session one with the lighter fuel load.

Ankf00
06-16-04, 07:45 PM
institute television revenue sharing, and they won't have to worry about what sponsors get dedicated airtime. let them buy customer chassis like Rob Walker used for his first trip to Monaco as a team owner, and the costs will go down

this will let them just run a normaly qualifying without having to worry about people's sponsors

if they want to do an engine rule, cool, but having race setups determine qualifying order is dumb

Chaos
06-16-04, 10:33 PM
Are you saying they use the faster time between session one and session two, or only use the session one time for the race grid? Either way it seems pointless. Either session two means nothing or the times are pretty much useless because they go faster in session one with the lighter fuel load.

the better time of sessions one and two would be your qualifying time. i wouldnt call it anymore pointless than the first qualifying session they have now. at least in the system i proposed, a driver that spins off (aka Sato) will be given another chance.

with respect to what and how the car can be set up (ie fuel loads...when fueling is allowed etc), that would also have to be worked out.

Insomniac
06-17-04, 10:05 AM
the better time of sessions one and two would be your qualifying time. i wouldnt call it anymore pointless than the first qualifying session they have now. at least in the system i proposed, a driver that spins off (aka Sato) will be given another chance.

with respect to what and how the car can be set up (ie fuel loads...when fueling is allowed etc), that would also have to be worked out.

The only time session two would be faster than session one is if the driver messes up in session one. Even then, they have to have race fuel in the car so they would still end up further back than if they did the session one lap right. And depending on the driver, it may move them from the back to row 6 or 7 at best. I'd think if it was a top team, they'd just start from pit lane.

I personally like the idea of having one chance. These guys are supposed to be the best drivers in the world. Now they get to prove it. :)

Also, the first session isn't that pointless. They qualify in the order they finished the previous race. MS has to go out first and sato gets to go out near the end because he keeps grenading motors. That has clearly helped Sato and "hurt" MS.

Cruella
06-17-04, 10:14 AM
How about doing like the horse races.
Drawing starting positions out of a hat. :D

Chaos
06-17-04, 10:40 AM
The only time session two would be faster than session one is if the driver messes up in session one. Even then, they have to have race fuel in the car so they would still end up further back than if they did the session one lap right. And depending on the driver, it may move them from the back to row 6 or 7 at best. I'd think if it was a top team, they'd just start from pit lane.

I personally like the idea of having one chance. These guys are supposed to be the best drivers in the world. Now they get to prove it. :)

Also, the first session isn't that pointless. They qualify in the order they finished the previous race. MS has to go out first and sato gets to go out near the end because he keeps grenading motors. That has clearly helped Sato and "hurt" MS.

you're making the assumption that they are allowed to add fuel to the car between sessions in order to prepare for the parc ferme. that's reasonable. of course, if you allow the teams to refuel before parc ferme, then the 2nd run should be faster than the first run. these are things a new qualifying model would have to account for

Insomniac
06-17-04, 04:17 PM
you're making the assumption that they are allowed to add fuel to the car between sessions in order to prepare for the parc ferme. that's reasonable. of course, if you allow the teams to refuel before parc ferme, then the 2nd run should be faster than the first run. these are things a new qualifying model would have to account for

You didn't say that session two was not using race fuel. ;) I would like to see session two scrapped and leave session one as is. One lap, any fuel load and the order is the order you finished in at the last race. Give the slower guys an advantage they can't really make use of. Or if a fast guy had a bad race, they have a good chance at starting up front the next race (based on when they qualify). Like this weekend, you'd have a crazy qualification order. Ferraris and Button going early. And you'd have Renault, Toyota, Williams and Sato going at the end. You get your drama too. :)

ferrarigod
06-17-04, 05:52 PM
I didn't see a problem with the old system and think they should simply return to it.

^^^^^^^^^^I cannot echo those sentiments enough. BUMP THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chaos
06-17-04, 09:22 PM
You didn't say that session two was not using race fuel.

I did!...sorta...with this vague sentence :)

I'd make a good contract writer.

Insomniac
06-18-04, 11:57 AM
I'd make a good contract writer.

Hehe, I think a lwayer would have his way with your contract. ;)

Looks like they're changing it. You can afford to mess up one of your two runs in session one. However, for session two, I see them going all out for the first run and just coasting around for the final run and putting it in parc ferme since they have the race fuel load for the second run (and presumably would switch from the qualifying to race setup. So, session one and the first half of session two is where the action will be. :)