PDA

View Full Version : Road America

Andrew Longman
06-14-04, 03:05 PM
I was looking into making plans for RA. First of all, $115 (before 28 July) for the "four" day superticket... Ouch!... Until I realized that kids are free. I think I'll bring a few :)

But the RA site describes the event as being from 5-8 Aug with CCWS, Atlantics, TransAm, Barber Dodgeand one series TBD. The Champcar site lists 6-8 Aug with nothing specified on the support series.

I could (and will) call, but anyone here know what the dates and line up actually might be? Better data here than at the box office I suspect.

Methanolandbrats
06-14-04, 03:13 PM
I was looking into making plans for RA. First of all, $115 (before 28 July) for the "four" day superticket... Ouch!... Until I realized that kids are free. I think I'll bring a few :)

But the RA site describes the event as being from 5-8 Aug with CCWS, Atlantics, TransAm, Barber Dodgeand one series TBD. The Champcar site lists 6-8 Aug with nothing specified on the support series.

I could (and will) call, but anyone here know what the dates and line up actually might be? Better data here than at the box office I suspect.There is some testing stuff on thurs and you can usually wander around if you want to.

KLang
06-14-04, 03:34 PM

Add in Formula BMW. (follow the support series link at champcarworldseries)

I don't think Barber Dodge is running this year.

Andrew Longman
06-14-04, 03:54 PM

Yes, I believe Barber Dodge is out of commission this year while they and "CART" regroup, but Formula BMW is a good replacement, even if I've not seen them run.

I'm looking forward to it, and I might just have to spring some more frequent flyer miles to bring my youngest. I took the whole family there in 2002 and camped in the carousal. He was three then and has spent the last two years talking about it. Just last night, out of the blue he interupted a completely unrelated conversation with my with to ask, "But Dad! When are we going to that camping race?"

I can't take his older brother an leave him at home can I? :D

Rogue Leader
06-14-04, 04:22 PM

The Barber Dodge Pro series isnt running, but the FDNC is running there for their season finale....

Dirty Sanchez
06-15-04, 12:24 PM
:rolleyes:

The National Formula Dodge Championship is alive and well and YES they will be running at Road America this year in support of the Champ Car event.

LINKAGE (http://www.formuladodge.com/nat_champ.asp)

KLang
06-15-04, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the reminder! Ordered my tickets today. Going to try out a golf cart this year as well.

Turn7
06-16-04, 08:02 AM
$115 for tickets seems like a steal to me. However, $300 for a golf cart is way too much for me. Im a lard ass and still can't phathom paying that amount to run around and then get all pizzed off because you still cant get there any faster on race day due to the people not getting out of your way on the bridges.

chop456
06-16-04, 08:05 AM
you still cant get there any faster on race day due to the people not getting out of your way on the bridges.

Two words.

Chrome horn.

mueber
06-16-04, 08:44 AM
Received my tickets too. This will be my first trip to Road America.

Andrew Longman
06-16-04, 08:50 AM
Depending on your lardassness a bike is a great alternative to the golf cart. I drove out two years ago and brought five bikes. The kids and I where all over the place everyday.

I can't do that this time because I think I'll be flying, but I agree, there is no way I'll pay 300 for a cart.

They also have golf cart shuttles you can hop on all over the place. That won't cut it on race day, but otherwise works fine.

I love the bike routine and wish they let us do it at the Glen. There you must walk. No shuttles there either except from the lots.

KLang
06-16-04, 08:59 AM
Trying out the golf cart because my wife has been having issues with one of her feet lately. Probably won't even pick it up on race day though, we just hang out all day on the benches overlooking turn seven.

Andrew Longman
06-16-04, 09:05 AM
Trying out the golf cart because my wife has been having issues with one of her feet lately. Probably won't even pick it up on race day though, we just hang out all day on the benches overlooking turn seven.

T7 is my favorite. Sweeping views running down to 9 and the Carousel. :) The concession above T5 is a tad better IMO, but that's a short walk from T7 (or ride in a cart) Enjoy!

Steve99
06-16-04, 01:21 PM
I'm getting ready to order my tickets. Need to find a hotel also, since I'm not into camping. Any recommendations?

chop456
06-16-04, 01:51 PM
The concession above T5 is a tad better IMO, but that's a short walk from T7 (or ride in a cart) Enjoy!

T7 has killer pork chop sammiches.

KLang
06-16-04, 01:55 PM
T7 has killer pork chop sammiches.

Indeed, and the french fries that come with them are great. :thumbup:

KLang
06-16-04, 01:59 PM
I'm getting ready to order my tickets. Need to find a hotel also, since I'm not into camping. Any recommendations?

We always stay at the Baymont Inn in Sheboygan. Nothing special but clean enough and handy to resturants, grocery store and booze store. About 15-20 minutes from the track. It used to be you had to sign up for a room a year in advance but I don't think that's been an issue the last couple years.

G.
06-16-04, 04:51 PM
The Inn on Woodlake in Kohler. Be sure to eat at the Italian restaurant nearby (in a stripmall, actually, but VERY good). Cucina's. Eat there Fri and Sat. You might be surprised to see who else is there ;) ;)

Be prepared to $pend.

KLang
06-16-04, 05:08 PM
Be sure to eat at the Italian restaurant nearby (in a stripmall, actually, but VERY good). Cucina's. Eat there Fri and Sat. You might be surprised to see who else is there ;) ;)

Be prepared to $pend.

Eaten there the last couple years. Last year saw Tag and Bronte. :cool:

There is a nice high-brow grocery store at the end of the strip mall as well. Good local sausages and stuff. Also the Kohler Design Center is a block or two away.

G.
06-16-04, 05:15 PM
It's a "stripmall" in style only. It's very upscale with boutique-type shops. Whatever boutique means.

Railbird
06-16-04, 05:49 PM
I checked on a room just a few days ago.

Slim pickens

Remember folks, it will be during the Osh Kosh fly in again this year.

KLang
06-16-04, 06:11 PM
Remember folks, it will be during the Osh Kosh fly in again this year.

You sure about that? airventure (http://www.airventure.org/)
Looks like it's the weekend before.

blueprint
06-16-04, 06:47 PM
Looking for a place to stay for RA. You might want to try the new motel/resort in Sheboygan (20 minutes from RA). Blue Harbor (http://www.blueharborresort.com/default.aspx) . On Lake Michigan with an indoor waterpark.

ncmlj
06-16-04, 07:05 PM
Rooms may be very hard to come by because of golf tournament.

http://www.wisinfo.com/sheboyganpress/news/pga/index.shtml

Amanda B.'s Mom
06-16-04, 08:28 PM
As usual tons of stuff going on in the area same time as race. If you do not have a room already get one, ASAP. If anyone needs specific recommendations on appropriate eating places near where you are taying PM me.

chop456
06-17-04, 01:14 AM
There is a nice high-brow grocery store at the end of the strip mall as well. Good local sausages and stuff. Also the Kohler Design Center is a block or two away.

I took a knife skills class at Ecole de Cuisine there, so don't get on my bad side. :D

There's a martini/cigar bar in that mall, too: http://www.olive-n-ash.com/