PDA

View Full Version : IRL = MIA

Andrew Longman
06-14-04, 10:11 AM
I fell asleep during the IRL race Saturday night and didn't see the finish.

I checked the Newark Star Ledger on Sunday morning and found no mention of the race. I checked this morning in the weekend wrap up. There was mention of F1, Nascar, Trucks, NHRA, LeMans, even Wall, New Egypt, and Bridgeport, bit no IRL. No mention on Saturday on who won the pole either.

Two weeks after the Greatest Spectacle in Motorsport, and the largest paper in the state no longer recognizes the series?

I guess the paper really sucks. ;)

cart7
06-14-04, 10:19 AM
I checked into the race every once in awhile just to see if this was the day of the earls next big-one. It wasn't. BTW, they spent so much time blathering about Indy it was difficult to determine which race they were at. Talk about your Indy centricity. :rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
06-14-04, 10:48 AM
I checked into the race every once in awhile just to see if this was the day of the earls next big-one. It wasn't. BTW, they spent so much time blathering about Indy it was difficult to determine which race they were at. Talk about your Indy centricity. :rolleyes:

I checked out mentally when the crew had trouble getting a vent hose out of Kannan's car on a yellow flag stop and the TV crew hyperventilated about what a "costly mistake" it was. Arute estimated in cost him an extra 2 seconds and "you know that's 200 yards on the race track". Even my 10 year old screamed "They're under yellow, it cost him nothing!"

Or maybe I check out when Goodyear explained to Paul that fluids are "both fuel and water".

Or maybe it was when Gil had to explain why some cars were pitting early.

Anyway, I woke up, the race was over and I switched back to the resumed LeMans coverage. What a joy.

Gotta know that TG won and the sponsors are happy when the papers don't report on your race.

Methanolandbrats
06-14-04, 10:55 AM
Goodyear and Page make me physically ill. Not only are they morons, but their cheerleading for that deathbowl crap is disturbing. It's only a matter of time until we hear "whoa, whoa, they were four wide and touched and there's a caution on the track....er, make that a red flag....Oh my God, there are parts scattered over half the track!". "Paul, that's what we call the big one, but the IRL leads in safety and we have what are called black boxes in the cars so the IRL can make the cars even safer". Those dimwits will still be babbling the party line when the coroner arrives. :mad:

G.
06-14-04, 11:18 AM
I have to admit that I watched a lot of the race (No, not a Nielsen family). I feel the need to watch hours and hours of History, TLC and Discovery now. Must deprogram...

Wally
06-14-04, 11:24 AM
No worries just tune in to Speed and you will find all the wankers in the wall coverage you can stomach.... :shakehead

racer2c
06-14-04, 11:42 AM
My wife and I both watched it. The entire race I was shaking my head saying "this is retarded. This is not what open wheel racing should be".
I laughed every time Paul Pudge called Rice the "champ", referring to his Indy win. Just further validation that to them, it's all about Indy. I wonder how their 03' series champion, whoever that is, feels about being overshadowed by the Indy winner.

Brickman
06-14-04, 12:26 PM
I checked here, there was nothing so I thought it got rained out. So I hit the web.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/irl/2004-06-12-bombardier-500_x.htm

Later I read that the highlights were buried in the Foyt thread. ;)

Napoleon
06-14-04, 12:35 PM
The IRL had a race this weekend?

DjDrOmusic
06-15-04, 07:23 PM
What is this IRL that you're all mentioning? :p :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
06-15-04, 07:31 PM
I think IRL is computer slang for In Real Life. :confused: :D

4wheeldrifter
06-16-04, 11:56 AM
I fell asleep during the IRL race Saturday night and didn't see the finish.

I fell asleep Saturday night too, but I didn't need to watch the *RL to do it. Next time, try Sominex or do what I do, drink a couple beers before bed. :p

Andrew Longman
06-16-04, 06:02 PM
I fell asleep Saturday night too, but I didn't need to watch the *RL to do it. Next time, try Sominex or do what I do, drink a couple beers before bed. :p

Actually I was trying to stay awake to watch more of LeMans and chose IRL over Arca, Yankees replay and the history channel. Not saying I made the right choice though ;)

Wabbit
06-16-04, 06:43 PM

He had a couple beers, that's what made him watch the IRL. :D

Dem cars get perttier wit every beer.

Dave99
06-16-04, 07:20 PM
He had a couple beers, that's what made him watch the IRL. Dem cars get perttier wit every beer.
As a PSA, don't forget the eye protection for the crashes. :)

http://www.mcphee.com/pixlarge/M5850.jpg

TedN
06-16-04, 07:24 PM
... I guess the paper really sucks. ;)

On Sunday after the Milwaulkee race, neither of the Toronto papers (Star and Sun) had anything on the Champ car event. Again nothing on Monday, not even a wire report.

It's not just the IRL.

Ted

RTKar
06-16-04, 09:06 PM
On Sunday after the Milwaulkee race, neither of the Toronto papers (Star and Sun) had anything on the Champ car event. Again nothing on Monday, not even a wire report.

It's not just the IRL.

Ted

This is BAD...a city whose major sporting event is a Champcar race in which some of the best drivers are Canadian... :shakehead I can understand cities with no link to Champcar not reporting results but Ontario & TO has some of the best Champcar fans...This makes me wonder about the street race party direction. Are we building a fan base or is Champcar going to simply be the background noise to some city festival to be forgotten until the circus rolls into town next year?