PDA

View Full Version : Interesting experience during qualifying

Amanda B.'s Mom
06-12-04, 04:58 PM
Today I happened to be in Radio Shack for an extended time during qualifying coverage. I had been watching it on and off, thought it was very strange that, here in NASCAR country, there would be F-1 qualifying on every TV. When I heard who had gotten the pole, I had to do a double take. The salesman I was with, commented on my "Wow". We then started talking F-1 and Forumla racing in general. Turns out he was raised in Germany and the first race he ever saw was many years ago, the Germany F-1 race. He has been addicted ever since and he is the reason the qualifying coverage was on TV.

We had a great conversation, and I stayed there a lot longer than I would have had to. He found it very interesting that there was a female in these parts who know more about formula racing than most of the men do! ;) We discussed all of the major open wheel series. A rather unique experience considering where I live.

Insomniac
06-12-04, 05:49 PM
Today I happened to be in Radio Shack for an extended time during qualifying coverage. I had been watching it on and off, thought it was very strange that, here in NASCAR country, there would be F-1 qualifying on every TV. When I heard who had gotten the pole, I had to do a double take. The salesman I was with, commented on my "Wow". We then started talking F-1 and Forumla racing in general. Turns out he was raised in Germany and the first race he ever saw was many years ago, the Germany F-1 race. He has been addicted ever since and he is the reason the qualifying coverage was on TV.

We had a great conversation, and I stayed there a lot longer than I would have had to. He found it very interesting that there was a female in these parts who know more about formula racing than most of the men do! ;) We discussed all of the major open wheel series. A rather unique experience considering where I live.

I never would've thought Wisconsin would be NASCAR country.

Cam
06-12-04, 05:49 PM
Every now and then you find a gem in the rough! :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
06-12-04, 06:03 PM
I never would've thought Wisconsin would be NASCAR country. It's not exactly fried chicken, Bud, pickup trucks and coon dogs, but there is a rich short track tradition in Wisconsin.... Kulwicki, Trickle, Kennseth, The Sauters, Dave Marcus......

oddlycalm
06-12-04, 06:28 PM
Always nice to find a knowledgable fellow enthusiast here in the States. As with you, it always seems to cost me some well enjpyed chat time. :thumbup:

Not such a rare find in Canada however. I missed an F1 race a few years back because I had to fly to Toronto on a Sunday. I asked the cab driver about the race, and he gave me an exhaustive nearly lap by lap rundown on the complete race. When I got to the hotel, the bellman gave me another detailed summary on the way to my room and did the wrapup as he placed my bags in my room. I almost felt like I had watched the race.... ;) I'm not sure where else in the world you can find both people so pleasent and that knowledgable about racing. I sure miss being in Montreal for race weekend this year.

oc

rjohnson999
06-12-04, 07:02 PM
The only significant difference between Wisconsin and the south is snow. :D

I never would've thought Wisconsin would be NASCAR country.

Amanda B.'s Mom
06-12-04, 07:17 PM

That about sums it up! Around here there are bear dogs, not coon dogs, though.

Insomniac
06-12-04, 07:55 PM

Hehe. I'd never know these things from stopping over in the airport. :)

RTKar
06-12-04, 07:56 PM
I've had similar experiences on occasion of running into someone who knows something about formula racing, usually after they see a cap or t-shirt I'm wearing. You start up a conversation and almost don't want it to end, feeling like you've found someone from the same planet as you.