PDA

View Full Version : Newman Haas Officials Talking With Brian Barnhart?

JoeBob
02-07-03, 12:10 PM
Interesting story in USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/irl/2003-02-07-newman-haas-indy_x.htm

Using the Toyota offer to try to make some extra money in May? With CART in Europe, I wonder who would drive.

Don Quixote
02-07-03, 12:16 PM
:mad: Let's hope this is nothing. :mad:

sundaydriver
02-07-03, 12:24 PM
My guess is they are trying to run a car in the 499 but since CCWS will be in Europe the first part of May, maybe N/H is asking about what the rules are for entering a car.

For the record, I hope they dont run a car. FTG and his worthless league. CART needs a non-compete agreement with its teams. No supporting the "Vision". :mad:

RichK
02-07-03, 12:30 PM
This smells of Fred Nation. USA Today??? Since when is USA Today so quickly updated on issues like the name change from IRL to Indycar, etc.?

cart7
02-07-03, 02:01 PM
It's gotta be inquiring about the qualifying rules and then getting them in writing.

mnkywrch
02-07-03, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
Using the Toyota offer to try to make some extra money in May? With CART in Europe, I wonder who would drive.

Perhaps they're wondering the rules about one driver qualifying a car with the intent of another driver to race it.

Maybe Scott Sharp will qualify and be pulled for Bruno...

(I can dream, right?)

nrc
02-07-03, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by RichK
This smells of Fred Nation. USA Today??? Since when is USA Today so quickly updated on issues like the name change from IRL to Indycar, etc.?

Yup, Fred Nation has officially activated his CART Doom & Gloom Broadcasting Network for the new season.

The team spokesperson states flatly that the team won't be launching a seperate Indy effort, it's probably inquiries about putting Bruno into a car that someone else qualifies. Of course that has always been permitted, so there's no reason to clarify, right? I mean Tony wouldn't tamper with Indy tradition just to thwart cherry-pickers, now would he?

I guess Pook is going to have to plop a race down on Memorial day to put a stop to this once and for all.

mnkywrch
02-07-03, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by nrc
The team spokesperson states flatly that the team won't be launching a seperate Indy effort, it's probably inquiries about putting Bruno into a car that someone else qualifies. Of course that has always been permitted, so there's no reason to clarify, right? I mean Tony wouldn't tamper with Indy tradition just to thwart cherry-pickers, now would he?

Maybe they're thinking about Bourdais instead of (or in addition to) Bruno.

Have they ever let a rookie with no oval experience start a car qualified by someone else?

He'll more than likely be fine... but I suspect the IRL would like to see some kind of oval experience before May.

That would be something to clarify now, instead of May 17th...

nrc
02-07-03, 03:42 PM
Well, along those same lines it could be about rookie orientation for Bourdais. If it's scheduled for the first weeked in May, Bourdais will be busy.

Of course, by Memorial Day weekend Bourdais should have at least one oval race under his belt. But in any case I certainly don't think Bourdais is going to be any more a hazard than someone like Racin' Gardner.

mnkywrch
02-07-03, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Of course, by Memorial Day weekend Bourdais should have at least one oval race under his belt. But in any case I certainly don't think Bourdais is going to be any more a hazard than someone like Racin' Gardner.

ROP would, I suspect, be in late April - when CART is in Europe.

I don't disagree that he'll have no problems with Indy, but is Chicago on for sure?

Napoleon
02-07-03, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by nrc
I guess Pook is going to have to plop a race down on Memorial day to put a stop to this once and for all.

I know this will not be a popular opinion here but I still love the idea of C^RT drivers cherry picking the 497.5

JLMannin
02-07-03, 05:15 PM
All the C^RT teams that existed in 1996 when the IRL was spawned and are still in C^RT today will eventually come down with a terminal case of Indyitis. The teams that have joined C^RT since 1996 have chosen CART, knowing that the 500 is not part of the schedule.

The teams that do not like the idea C^RT racing in May and not leaving the schedule open for the irl500 are destined to leave C^RT. Pook will force them to decide, and idf they hold the 500 dear, they will eventually leave CART.

I would not be happy to see newman/Haas leave C^RT, but C^RT did exist from 1979 to 1984 without their participation and could survive again without their participation.

Over the next two seasons, we are likely to see more turnover of the teams in C^RT and an influx of new teams. Short term, this leads to much uncertainty and hand-wringing over car counts and such, but this will go away when new teams committed to C^RT join the series.

2005 is the make or break year, not 2003 or 2004.

John

Napoleon
02-07-03, 06:10 PM
well put JLM

Ziggy
02-07-03, 07:52 PM
What is with,,,, the /\ deal????,,,,, its annoying, in a paper/Knockoff sort of way

Monkeywrench, I think some wanker did get to start the Indy 500 a few years ago without qualifying, and never started the "500" itself. A true rookie at the Speedway. I think it was GIaphONey if memory serves me correct

Ziggy

nrc
02-07-03, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
I don't disagree that he'll have no problems with Indy, but is Chicago on for sure?

No, the Chicago oval seems unlikely at this point. But that's not the oval I was talking about. :)

http://www.cart.com/images/tracks/t_Germany_240.gif

mnkywrch
02-07-03, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Monkeywrench, I think some wanker did get to start the Indy 500 a few years ago without qualifying, and never started the "500" itself. A true rookie at the Speedway. I think it was GIaphONey if memory serves me correct

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Are you talking about Affonso Giaffone?

So, he started 13th without qualifying?

Or are you trying to talk about someone else...?

Originally posted by nrc
No, the Chicago oval seems unlikely at this point. But that's not the oval I was talking about. :)

http://www.cart.com/images/tracks/t_Germany_240.gif

Yeah, I forgot about Germany... my bad.

In the past few years, the only CART drivers they've required to take ROP are drivers CART considers rookies (ala Bourdais).