PDA

View Full Version : Computer help needed...again!

Michaelhatesfans
06-10-04, 10:16 PM
We picked up some games for the PC. They said Windows 98 on the box, but they were only $5, so I got a couple assuming that I might be able to download something to make them playable on Windows XP. The games are both Lucasarts Star Wars games, Tie Fighter and Dark Forces. According to Lucasarts, I'm SOL - but then again, they're not going to give me names of aftermarket stuff, so I thought I'd ask you! Anyone know of any downloads that would let me run these games on XP? I know there is a way to run GPL on XP, I wondered if it was the same for these? Any help is appreciated!
:cool:

XFT
06-10-04, 10:41 PM
We picked up some games for the PC. They said Windows 98 on the box, but they were only $5, so I got a couple assuming that I might be able to download something to make them playable on Windows XP. The games are both Lucasarts Star Wars games, Tie Fighter and Dark Forces. According to Lucasarts, I'm SOL - but then again, they're not going to give me names of aftermarket stuff, so I thought I'd ask you! Anyone know of any downloads that would let me run these games on XP? I know there is a way to run GPL on XP, I wondered if it was the same for these? Any help is appreciated!

Theres a setting in XP so you can simulate a windows 98/95/me/2000/whatever enviorment for the exe that launches. Right click>properties.. Think its in there somewhere, if not hit F1.

Classic Apex
06-10-04, 10:50 PM
Many, many, many a night were killed on those games back in college.

Cam
06-10-04, 11:21 PM
See if appcompat works... It comes on the /extras folder with 2K..... Dunno where it is hidden in *cough* XP....

racer2c
06-10-04, 11:22 PM
I need a little more detail, like what exactly is the error message or game behavior? Does the game start but not run when you enter from the 'interface;? These Lucas Arts games are all use Direct X, Microsoft's 3d video API (the code that let's the video card 'talk' to the operating system and game). Make sure you have the latest version of Direct X which you can obtain from MS. I would try XFT's suggestion also. Right click on the main exe of the game and choose Win98 under 'compatibility'.

MAXAR RE
06-11-04, 09:51 AM
The only things that might work is for you to have XP/2000 run the game in "compatibility mode." Compatibility mode is a separate 'shell' that Windows XP and 2000 use to run a program within, and within this 'shell' they simulate the operating conditions of the specified operating system so you can trick non-XP/2000 applications to run anyway.

Here's how you set a program to run in compatibility mode:

Right-click on the program shortcut that you will be using to launch the program (usually on the Programs menu or on your Desktop)
Choose 'Properties' from the menu
Click on the 'Compatibility' tab
Click the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
Select the desired version of Windows to be simulated from the drop-down list
If the program needs any special display settings to run, choose those in the 'display settings' section
Click 'Apply' then click 'OK'
Double-click the program shortcut to see if the program will work in compatibility mode

Hope this works for you!

Michaelhatesfans
06-11-04, 11:56 AM
Thanks, guys! I haven't had a chance to sit down and try your suggestions yet, but you are to be commended for your translations. I'm technically challenged, but I understood everything! I'm impressed! :D

Fingers crossed, I'll get some kid-free time later today to try your suggestions. Thanks again! :thumbup: