PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Texas

Ziggy
06-10-04, 09:35 PM
While it has not been brought up, I figured now is as good of time as any. This will be the first time for the 3.0 litre cars on a banked superspeedway. With this latest version of the vision, momentum is at an all time premium.

What will happen when a guy runs out of talent going into a turn and backs out of the loud pedal??? This will be a huge pack race, unlike Indy where running two wide through a corner is about as close as it gets. Texas brings upon a whole set new factors. Getting out of the fuel means going backwards. How high is the respect factor? How "stuck" are the cars? Heck, how big is the entry list!

Have fun wankers, would'nt want to be ya

nrc
06-10-04, 09:44 PM
Three words: "visible from space."

cart7
06-10-04, 09:49 PM
That league is so overdue for another Atlanta.. :shakehead

The gomers will be drooling all over themselves if they can get that 2002 side-by-side crap going again. Will the ol Cart boys want to play along??

pchall
06-10-04, 10:14 PM
Well, at TMS 97 Stewart qualified at 228+ mph.
This year they will be lucky to have pole at 208+ mph.

The only better speeds in practice must have been in the draft.

Railbird
06-10-04, 10:33 PM
this could be a scary sumbitch.

With the closure rate caused by a throttle blip in this formula, the third turn entry could get disasterous if one of the heroes gets a case of the yips.

I'm sure it will be quite the thrill show.

Cam
06-10-04, 11:09 PM
I'm sure it will be quite the thrill show.

We want a race... Not a Barnum and Bailey sideshow! :cry:

Brickman
06-11-04, 01:53 AM
Never liked Texas never will. I'll pass again.

Fio1
06-11-04, 02:08 AM
IRL at Texas is a race I always look forward to for the pure excitement of it. Of 20 years of watching racing, I'd say some that I saw at Texas were the best. The move Greg Ray did on both Cheever & Sharp in 2001(?) is still one of the best passes of all time IMO. :D

B3RACER1a
06-11-04, 02:56 AM
uh-oh! :saywhat:

Railbird
06-11-04, 06:19 AM
Hey Fio

http://www.pyke-eye.com/a/icrts/wall-of-death.jpg

you ain't seen nothing

JohnHKart
06-11-04, 06:30 AM
This is my next to last crapwagon race of the year, (until the next Texas race at season's end) have always liked it, even though it's so phony, at least it holds my attention.

John

Napoleon
06-11-04, 07:53 AM
Three words: "visible from space."

Must now clean coffee off keyboard.

RTKar
06-11-04, 08:24 AM
So when was the banking last used at Monza...or the last time "Indy cars" were run at Daytona?...I guess every so often fate has to be tempted, at least the drivers get paid and accept the risks. Hopefully there won't be any fans hurt should something happen.

Sean O'Gorman
06-11-04, 10:58 AM
I usually always watch or tape Texas, because if I don't, I get very nervous that something bad happened during the race. Last October, I remember being at work all night and thinking to myself something disasterous had to have happened at Texas, and sure enough when I logged on the Internet to find out, I was right. :(

JoeBob
06-11-04, 10:59 AM
With the downforce increased, and the speeds decreased, running out of talent shouldn't be much of an issue. However, Running out of brains will be an issue. If one of them does, it will get very ugly, very fast.

Joe in LA
06-11-04, 11:08 AM
I think the moment/closing rate is the big issue. The incident between Ray, Manning and Hornish at Indy was a preview of the problem. These cars do not have enough power to get out of their own way if you get out of the throttle. Either everyone keeps their foot in it and steers (kinda like one a video game where you can't get hurt), or someone lifts and gets rearended.