PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camcorders

RichK
06-10-04, 08:07 PM
OK, so my fellow OffCamberites never steer me wrong.

My wife and I decided that our 18 month old daughter needs some embarrassing moments preserved forever (or at least until her first date). I promised that I'd research digital camcorders. Holy crap, there are a lot of them out there.

Anyone have good/bad things to say about certain models? Best format? I use a Windows computer at home, and will want to put videos on CD-ROMs for the parents who live in the far outreaches of the Midwest (Indiana :p).
What's the best format for this? I'm not sure about price range, but I can always be swayed into spending money I don't have for a good product. I'm a big Canon fan after owning my S30 digital camera, if that helps.

Bonus points for a camcorder that can mount to a roll hoop! :laugh:

Thanks for any advice...

Brickman
06-10-04, 08:29 PM
Sony DCR-DVD201 {DVD}

Or the one I'm using to tape my high school graduate in 90 minutes a Sony DCR-TRV11 with a memory stick. {tape}

www.sonystyle.com

racer2c
06-10-04, 11:35 PM
We bought the Canon Optura 20 MiniDV digital camcorder last summer and really love it. 320x Digital zoom. 16x optical and allows lens attachments. I got a 2x attachment that really helps. It has a 1.33mp still photo capability that was a waste of money sense I have a 4.1mp Olympus that I use for stills. Maybe the Optura 10 forgoes the still picture aspect.

Forza Lancia
06-11-04, 11:43 AM
I bought the Hitachi model that uses a mini-DVD instead of tape (I'm not sure of the model number, but they have new ones out now anyway). This is great for transferring video to the computer without having to plug in the camera. But the editing the video (no matter what kind of camera you have) is another issue. I finally bought two editing packages: Pinnacle and Ulead. Pinnacle can be pretty unreliable when it comes to rendering, but it's great when it works.

RichK
06-11-04, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've been researching the Sony and Canon mostly, and find that digital camcorders aren't as good in low-light conditions as a Hi-8 camcorder.

Would it be better to get Hi-8 and find a way to transfer to a DVD?

Joe in LA
06-11-04, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. I've been researching the Sony and Canon mostly, and find that digital camcorders aren't as good in low-light conditions as a Hi-8 camcorder.

Would it be better to get Hi-8 and find a way to transfer to a DVD?

I bought the Sony mentioned above that records to DVD. You might get better low light performance from the Hi-8, but experience has taught me that I don't get around to transfering very often if ever. Convenience is worth a lot when it comes to family videos. I found the same with stills--my Canon 35mm was generally better, and much better in low light than the digital, but I really got tired of scanning photos to e-mail around.

racer2c
06-11-04, 01:27 PM
I know you can get a more powerful light for my Optura 20. I don't know what the resolution difference is between a Hi8 and digital, but the simplicity of plugging in a firewire cable and downloading is probably going to outweigh any low light advantage. IMO.

RichK
06-15-04, 02:43 PM
Update: decided on the Canon Optura 20! Just ordered it. Amazing the price range that is out there for this camera. I bought it for $475 and saw $775 at some other places. Maybe it is being discontinued and some retailers haven't discounted it yet.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I decided that I'd probably get lazy with Hi-8 to DVD transfers, so I opted for the DV.

Now I just need some UFOs to fly over the house, or Bigfoot to knock on the front door and I'm set!

4wheeldrifter
06-15-04, 03:00 PM
Love my Sony TRV-22. For a low end digicam, it's the s**t. Great in low (ie. indoor) light, especially compared to other cam's in it's price class. I guess it all depends on you price range. For me, I'm just shooting, dumping to PC, and burning DVD's. Maybe a little editing with Pinnacle Studio 9 but that's it. Works great.

RacinM3
06-15-04, 03:42 PM
OK now order this.

http://www.ioportracing.com/images/product/cm1.jpg

RichK
06-15-04, 04:21 PM
Oh that's a must-have. :thumbup:

I'll probably have to rig up a polycarbonate anti-flying-rubber-bits-and -pieces-of-Sears-Point-asphalt-that-the-Nextel-Cup-cars-chewed-up-again shield.

Sean O'Gorman
06-15-04, 06:01 PM
How much does one of those run? I'll have to take a picture of the $3 Home Depot camera mount me and my friend started working on but never finished. :gomer:

RacinM3
06-16-04, 10:50 AM
Sean - $99.95 from IO Port. - http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

Get that cheap camera mount outta your car before it whacks you in the noggin.

RacinM3
06-16-04, 10:52 AM
I'll probably have to rig up a polycarbonate anti-flying-rubber-bits-and -pieces-of-Sears-Point-asphalt-that-the-Nextel-Cup-cars-chewed-up-again shield.

I never had to worry about that, but I can tell you the camera hates trips through the dirt. Especially with the car sideways.

Audi_A4
06-16-04, 11:01 AM
I am looking for a camera too so we can make videos of our 16 month old.

What is the difference between mini dvd and mini DV. just format and size or is there a quality difference?

Joe in LA
06-16-04, 11:05 AM
I am looking for a camera too so we can make videos of our 16 month old.

What is the difference between mini dvd and mini DV. just format and size or is there a quality difference?

Mini DV is a very small tape that records in digital. Mini DVD, uses a write or rewrite DVD with a smaller diameter than a regular DVD. It will work if you pop it in a DVD player that reads (in the case of the Sony) DVD-R or DVD-RW.

RichK
06-16-04, 01:02 PM
I never had to worry about that, but I can tell you the camera hates trips through the dirt. Especially with the car sideways.

Well then, you have a good reason not to do that! :D

RacinM3
06-16-04, 02:56 PM
LOL....this from the guy who has a trip through the dirt immortalized on a magazine cover!! :laugh: :thumbup: ;)

RichK
06-16-04, 02:58 PM
:mad: :laugh:
In all fairness, the weeds needed mowing. I was providing a valuable service.

http://www.team-orange.com/personal/thewheel100k.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
06-16-04, 05:43 PM
If thats how the leaders were driving, I'd hate to see how the rest of the field was! :laugh:

RichK
06-16-04, 06:01 PM
I believe FCYTravis was flagging that day, he can tell you that we were all driving like idiots! It was worth vacuuming out the car to get such a cool picture! :laugh:

dando
06-17-04, 12:04 AM
Update: decided on the Canon Optura 20! Just ordered it. Amazing the price range that is out there for this camera. I bought it for $475 and saw $775 at some other places. Maybe it is being discontinued and some retailers haven't discounted it yet.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I decided that I'd probably get lazy with Hi-8 to DVD transfers, so I opted for the DV.

Now I just need some UFOs to fly over the house, or Bigfoot to knock on the front door and I'm set!
Rich, I didn't catch this thread in time....I've been looking @ camcorders for quite some time, but just haven't had the need yet (or been sold on one yet) for our 8 mos. old. Anyway, I also have a Canon S30 (love it), and I've been looking @ the Elura 50 since it uses the same battery as the S30. Canon recently released the Elura 70, which combines the form factor of the Optura 20 and the battery compatibility of the 50. Just an FYI since we headed down the same path. I still haven't committed, but I'm leaning heavily towards the 70.

-Kevin