Napoleon
06-10-04, 03:56 PM
:(

Michaelhatesfans
06-10-04, 04:01 PM

chop456
06-10-04, 04:06 PM
One of the true greats of our time, and a man of immeasurable importance in modern music. :(

Warlock!
06-10-04, 04:38 PM
Pisser.

G.
06-10-04, 04:51 PM
RIP. :(

:cool: <<<<---- cuz He was cool, not cuz the news is cool.

anait
06-10-04, 05:28 PM

Ziggy
06-10-04, 05:45 PM
A National Treasure. A true visionary and a music man to the core

JohnHKart
06-10-04, 06:24 PM
Well damn damn DOUBLE DAMN......Keyboard guy here, who likes to sing soulful and high....you can imagine what this does to my day. :(

John

Robstar
06-10-04, 07:07 PM
RIP :(

RTKar
06-10-04, 07:29 PM
:( A very cool guy gone.

cart7
06-10-04, 08:28 PM

Dave99
06-10-04, 08:59 PM
A true legend. I didn't know he was sick but he apparently died from complications from liver disease. :(

I so bad want to say that he...nope I won't say it. Bahhh...ok, he never saw it coming! There I said it. Now I'll hit the road, jack!

Jag_Warrior
06-10-04, 11:00 PM
:( :shakehead :(

Jervis Tetch 1
06-10-04, 11:22 PM
I was fortunate to get exposed to his music at an early age as my father had about a half-dozen of his albums in the 60s and 70s.

You want a great song? Try "What I say," one of the first true great rockers from the man Aretha Franklin called "The Voice."

Some trivia, Stevie Wonder said that Ray Charles was his idol and one of the reasons he went into music.

Ironically, Ray played for President Reagan at his 1984 inauguration and both died within days of each other.

Wally
06-10-04, 11:31 PM
Well crap!! :( RIP Ray.

Ankf00
06-11-04, 02:03 AM
weak sauce. :mad:

he was style.

Forza Lancia
06-11-04, 11:48 AM
Ray Charles was also a great jazz pianist in his early days. I'm sure that David "Fathead" Newman (my favorite tenor saxophonist), who got his start with Ray Charles' jazz band back in the mid-1950's is in mourning today.

KobySon
06-11-04, 03:43 PM
Ray Charles was also a great jazz pianist in his early days. I'm sure that David "Fathead" Newman (my favorite tenor saxophonist), who got his start with Ray Charles' jazz band back in the mid-1950's is in mourning today.

He certainly had a unique jazz sound. He came out of the West Coast 40s and 50s R&B school. He followed the trail that Charles Brown blazed. Eventually his soul emerged and he changed american music!

Ray was one of my most cherished musical heroes! I'm encouraged to see that a handfull of us on this board were touched by him and will miss him.

Last night I pulled my whole collection out, lit a few candles and drank a lot of jack.

For anyone interested in hearing a few other great artists closely related to Ray check out Percy Mayfield and Snooks Eaglin.

Percy Mayfield wrote several songs for Ray including "Hit The Road Jack". His knickname was "the poet of the blues". There are two albums that I recommend; "Poet of the Blues" and "Memory Pain". Those are all specialty label recordings.

Snooks is a blind New Orleans guitarist. His voice is so much like Ray's from the standpoint of soul, that it's scary. They're long lost brothers! I think he's still alive and plays a lot in NO. Check him out if you go down there.

Ziggy
06-11-04, 04:45 PM
Snooks was on Alligator records. Dont know if he is still around, have not read anything different

KobySon
06-12-04, 12:05 AM
Snooks was on Alligator records. Dont know if he is still around, have not read anything different

really? I don't know about anything newer that he released. I gotta look into that.

I have two albums of his... all early 60s stuff. "That's All Right" on Bluesville and The Complete Imperial Recordings disc.

The Imperial stuff is great because it has Dave Bartholomew producing. I love that old new orleans groove... The triplet piano rythm like fats domino plays.

pineapple
06-12-04, 12:33 AM
:( What a sad sad day. One of my favorites is gone.

I read his autobiography, Brother Ray, years ago and remember thinking then that it takes a person of special strength and will to overcome the blows he endured, yet still come up fighting, ready for the next round. His voice was so unique, the timber and smoky raspiness I have not heard in anyone else...Listen again Georgia on My Mind, and you will hear that one-of-a-kind sound. My special favorites were the country covers, notably I Can't Stop Loving You - always wished he and Charley Pride would have collaborated on some full duet albums. His version of A Song For You was almost a religious experience. Such good music. Damn.

Like KobySon, I toasted his memory with a musical review, candles, and some good bourbon. RIP, Brother Ray.