PDA

View Full Version : For those about to.........

lone_groover
06-09-04, 10:02 PM
.....sit through Lettermunch's tired, played-out Steve Allen imitation to see Soul Patch Buddy Rich, just remember one thing:

THE MAN IS NEARLY 30 YEARS OLD! He's closer to 29 than he is to 28, and it's over a decade since he got the right to vote.

If the little buttwipe actually DOES go skateboarding and moshing and BMX riding, it's probably due more to some perverted N.A.M.B.L.A. affiliation than to any uncontrollable RADness. Hornish, for example, is YEARS younger, and goes bowling on Tuesdays with yokels his own age. Don't let that backwards ball cap fool you, Bud probably wears it because he's going bald.

Sp please kids, DON'T accept any SUNNY D from this weirdo.

:thumdown:

racer2c
06-09-04, 10:15 PM
There's my groover! Back in top form! Is it just me or does Buddy Rice look like young Buddy Epson, with a dash of Bud Costello mixed in (or is it the other way around? :gomer:

I wouldn't mind half as much if Dave hadn't broken down on camera at the liitle Indy get together.

Methanolandbrats
06-09-04, 10:34 PM
Did'nt know it's on, don't GAF. Maybe Dave will be overcome with Indy rapture and gargle Buddy on stage. I hate them all.

Railbird
06-09-04, 10:36 PM
Steve Allen

My childhood comedic hero. Lot's of people have gotten rich doing lame imitations of his schtick.

On Rice's promoted "radness" I have no idea, but it does seem as though he was parented by some fairly "interesting" folks.

Atlantics badass who couldn't get a look from a CART team gets a deal as the second or third choice for a replacement stint in a Honda funded ride.

Won the Indianapolis 500.

not a bad deal.

Jag_Warrior
06-09-04, 11:03 PM
As long as CCWS has Nellie Phillipe, I ain't sayin' much. :shakehead

fourrunner
06-09-04, 11:37 PM
I watch Charlie Rose !!

I like to pretend I'm Smart ! ;)

and l-g agreed Dave's schtick is tired ... lost it with his switch to CBS - Got boring after the Heart Transplant ;) -- Then he had the Baby and became duller than a butterknife!!

He's starting to look like one of those "Shrunken Heads" in the Old Tarzan Movies all withered and putrified with that yellow palor of death!

Wheel-Nut
06-10-04, 06:05 AM
Grudge Match:

Fighting out of the red corner - Paul Newman

Fighting out of the blue corner - David Letterman

Go to your respective corners, at the sound of the bell come out fighting. LETS GET IT ON!

gjc2
06-10-04, 07:37 AM
...........with a dash of Bud Costello

it was Bud Abbot and Lou Costello.

George

Dirty Sanchez
06-10-04, 09:50 AM
Buddy Rice: Life-Stylist

Buddy is nicknamed "Soul Patch" by the IRL PR department! Buddy marches to the path of his own drummer, :saywhat: is a gen-xer and totally in-your-face! His main sponsor is a mortgage company! Refinance - to the extreme!

LINKAGE (http://homepage.mac.com/smcphail/cards/car15.html) :rofl:

RaceGrrl
06-10-04, 10:00 AM
If there were prizes for photoshops, F409 should win 1st for that. It's sure to be a classic.

Madmaxfan2
06-10-04, 10:18 AM
Such venom! Save it for TG or RP. Buddy won a race, and drivers live for it.

RaceGrrl
06-10-04, 10:29 AM
Don't tell me to "save it." You know as well as anyone here that all of the Indy500 wins since the split are meaningless. Buddy and his ilk are public figures and have bought TG's "vision." They drink the koolaid, they take the yen, and as such, they are fodder for satire.

racer2c
06-10-04, 10:43 AM
it was Bud Abbot and Lou Costello.

George

That's what I said! :flame:

Jervis Tetch 1
06-10-04, 11:31 AM
Is it me or does Buddy Rice resemble Bud Bundy? Well, I think so anyway.

Brickman
06-10-04, 12:00 PM
Don't like Dave, watch Jay Leno. :laugh: :shakehead

And why the guy is now a little "little buttwipe" is beyond me. It's not like he was ever given a chance to even become a defector. This 'he's one of them' regardless of why is foolish. If anything he made Cheever look Cheeverish, hopefully Barron's career will also see the light. Good job Buddy Rich... uh um Rice. :o

pchall
06-10-04, 01:34 PM
Don't like Dave, watch Jay Leno. :laugh: :shakehead

And why the guy is now a little "little buttwipe" is beyond me. It's not like he was ever given a chance to even become a defector. This 'he's one of them' regardless of why is foolish. If anything he made Cheever look Cheeverish, hopefully Barron's career will also see the light. Good job Buddy Rich... uh um Rice. :o

You are conveniently forgetting that right after his Atlantics stint Rahal had him tied up for a season in CART and never put him in a car. Little Budetto Risso should have cleaned up his act and done his own footwork for sponsorship and opportunity instead of getting tied to the anchor of the SS Team Rahal.

Brickman
06-10-04, 04:58 PM
You are conveniently forgetting that right after his Atlantics stint Rahal had him tied up for a season in CART and never put him in a car. Little Budetto Risso should have cleaned up his act and done his own footwork for sponsorship and opportunity instead of getting tied to the anchor of the SS Team Rahal.

He was a clean cut character in Atlantics, and no I didn't forget that Bobby had him tied up. As far as footwork getting his own sponsorship to run in CART, I hope you don't diss Gidley, Barron, and others for not CARTing because of a lack of footwork.

Madmaxfan2
06-10-04, 08:40 PM
Don't tell me to "save it." You know as well as anyone here that all of the Indy500 wins since the split are meaningless. Buddy and his ilk are public figures and have bought TG's "vision." They drink the koolaid, they take the yen, and as such, they are fodder for satire.

His victory may not be in the real Indy 500, but he clearly was happy, and he has not shilled for the IRL like, let's say Cheever. Gee, I don't think that Buddy was in position as an established CART star to mandiate a CART ride or else, unlike Michael, Dario, Tony K., Helio, or Gil. Talk about Kool-Aid drinkers.

RaceGrrl
06-10-04, 10:33 PM
Loyd Yonts is a winner too, and I care just about as much.

http://home.insight.rr.com/nrcaldwell/images/loydyonts.jpg

Ankf00
06-11-04, 02:11 AM

his ilk? ya he's a regular cheever...

the man received employment to go racing. not his fault the 3 saviors are too busy taking money from guys like phillippe to give guys like him a chance. without russo pissing away $ almendinger's another atlantics champ that amounts to little, just like orsi

Ankf00
06-11-04, 02:13 AM
Little Budetto Risso should have cleaned up his act and done his own footwork for sponsorship and opportunity instead of getting tied to the anchor of the SS Team Rahal.

is this the same USS Rahole that everyone applauded for tying up Danica? But now it's Rice's fault? Something tells me this attitude won't be too prevelant when Danica goes circling
(man I am SICK of trying to type on this french keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Railbird
06-11-04, 06:33 AM
just like orsi

man, there's another good one that fell through the cracks.

can't blame a guy like Rice for taking employment where he can find it.

JohnHKart
06-11-04, 06:49 AM
Ooops........Kannan's card says he's not an Arab....not quite... His dad is lebanese which is an arab country right? So Kanaan is half arab.

John

Madmaxfan2
06-11-04, 09:43 AM
Save it. :p

nrc
06-11-04, 12:03 PM
his ilk? ya he's a regular cheever...

the man received employment to go racing. not his fault the 3 saviors are too busy taking money from guys like phillippe to give guys like him a chance. without russo pissing away $ almendinger's another atlantics champ that amounts to little, just like orsi

Go back and post this two or three years ago and I'll cry along with you. It sucks that CART could get more talent in the series with all the money they spent propping thing ups. Right now the series probably wouldn't even be around without money from guys like Phillip.

With both RHR and Almendinger in the series we have more young American talent than we've seen in years. Would I rather see Valliante, Fogarty and Bell than renta-riders? Hell, yes. But right now the name of the game is survive and rebuild.

Brickman
06-11-04, 12:34 PM
is this the same USS Rahole that everyone applauded for tying up Danica? But now it's Rice's fault? Something tells me this attitude won't be too prevelant when Danica goes circling
(man I am SICK of trying to type on this french keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I don't blame people as much for being mad at owners, although even they are just following the money. Going after the drivers is petty, although thankfully crew personal don't get dissed for also getting a pay check. Whatever floats your boat.

Madmaxfan2
06-11-04, 01:26 PM
Go back and post this two or three years ago and I'll cry along with you. It sucks that CART could get more talent in the series with all the money they spent propping thing ups. Right now the series probably wouldn't even be around without money from guys like Phillip.

With both RHR and Almendinger in the series we have more young American talent than we've seen in years. Would I rather see Valliante, Fogarty and Bell than renta-riders? Hell, yes. But right now the name of the game is survive and rebuild.

You are corrct in that statement, but Buddy did not get a fair shake in CART. Therefore I would not be so hard on Buddy to blame all of the ill's of OW on him just because he won the Indy 500. Not everybody in the IRL is a Kool-Aid drinker, just the ones that supply it's lifeblood. Like TG, Toyota, Honda, GM, RP, CG, etc.

JoeBob
06-11-04, 01:43 PM
You are corrct in that statement, but Buddy did not get a fair shake in CART.

Buddy got the shaft from his new savior, Bobby Rahal. Rahal signed him to a CART contract, contingent on finding a sponsor. They didn't find the sponsor and Rice spent a year sitting around doing nothing, occasionally showing up to watch a race from Bobby's pit stand.

RaceGrrl
06-11-04, 01:56 PM
Buddy got the shaft from his new savior, Bobby Rahal. Rahal signed him to a CART contract, contingent on finding a sponsor. They didn't find the sponsor and Rice spent a year sitting around doing nothing, occasionally showing up to watch a race from Bobby's pit stand.

Exactly. If he doesn't care enough about his team's effort and the series to show up, why would any team looking for a driver feel that he cared about driving for them? The fact that Memo Gidley shows up, on his own money, race after race, has gotten him a seat. (Not often enough, IMO)

Railbird
06-11-04, 02:10 PM
First off, Memo couldn't carry Buddy's helmet bag IMO.

Memo had his shot and evidently did't impress anyone enough to land a full time gig.

Buddy wasn't Rahal's first choice this time around but he made the most of the offer. Whine all you want but the boy is now an Indy 500 winner and no matter your opinion of the state of the event it's still the biggest openwheel race in America.

I'm happy for him.

Rahal on the other hand.....

RaceGrrl
06-11-04, 02:23 PM
Whine? Me? Hardly. Just stating my opinion. Deal with it.

Railbird
06-11-04, 02:33 PM
it's not always all about you Racegrrrl

I was addressing the forum

Racewriter
06-11-04, 03:30 PM
Exactly. If he doesn't care enough about his team's effort and the series to show up, why would any team looking for a driver feel that he cared about driving for them? The fact that Memo Gidley shows up, on his own money, race after race, has gotten him a seat. (Not often enough, IMO)

Since when does standing around a paddock with a thumb up one's @ss make them a good driver? Memo had the freedom to do that because he was in no demand to be paid to race...

nrc
06-11-04, 03:48 PM
Since when does standing around a paddock with a thumb up one's @ss make them a good driver? Memo had the freedom to do that because he was in no demand to be paid to race...

Neither was Ryan Hunter Reay.

Nobody is saying that hanging around made Memo a good driver. He proved he was a good driver with his performance in Atlantic and his starts in Champcar. The fact that he ended up without a ride doesn't prove anything. No, Chip Ganassi would never drop a talented American for one of his F-wannabe wunderkind, now would he?
:shakehead

Railbird
06-11-04, 04:07 PM
Why didn't someone else snap up Memo nrc?

It would seem that at that point in time TCGR offered a better springboard than a Dale Coyne ride.

JoeBob
06-11-04, 04:08 PM
IIRC, Memo got dropped for Kenny Brack, who while a former F3000 wannabe, also had earned the Ganassi ride by winning races for Bobby, "Never had the same driver/chassis/engine/tire combo two seasons in a row" Rahal.

He seems like a very nice guy, who worked hard, and did everything he should have to get an opportunity. He got one - with a top team. For whatever reason, it didn't work out. I don't think he, or his fans, have anything to complain about.

Buddy got the shaft, yet managed to revive his career. Hoover Orsi hasn't been so lucky. If it wasn't for being Rahal's 15th choice to drive that car, Buddy would probably still be sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. I can't fault him for taking the ride, and I hope that it launches his career into bigger and better things - including ChampCars.

Dr. Corkski
06-11-04, 04:17 PM
If you are going to go around forcing everybody to accept your opinion that it's 100% OK for the OWRS God Squad to take checks of talentless wankers instead of guys with a real racing CV, then I don't see how you can turn around and fault guys like Rice for taking a paycheck.

fourrunner
06-11-04, 04:30 PM

No particular opinion here ... I just got to thinking that standing around with your finger up your ass has got to be really uncomfortable!! ;)

RichK
06-11-04, 04:34 PM
No particular opinion here ... I just got to thinking that standing around with your finger up your ass has got to be really uncomfortable!! ;)

That's "THUMB", not finger, which is even worse! :laugh:

Ziggy
06-11-04, 04:42 PM
I think I had a post erased?

Ziggy

pchall
06-11-04, 04:57 PM
As far as footwork getting his own sponsorship to run in CART, I hope you don't diss Gidley, Barron, and others for not CARTing because of a lack of footwork.

Actually, I do. Drivers who really want to make it have been packaging themselves with sponsorship and going to teams for decades. Stirling Moss and his dad Alfred worked this idea out in the late 40s and eventually got him to the top of F1. Roger Penske did the same thing when he sold himself, his Zerex sponsorship, and his car to Mecom Racing in the early 60s. Then he packaged himself and Reynolds money and a bunch of specially cast aluminum Chevy blocks and raced for Chaparral.

Ankf00
06-11-04, 05:14 PM
There's a bloody crapwagon on Crescent street in the middle of the Honda and Michelin displays, wtf? Giebler's POS next to a BAR... the contrast is deafening. Happy that Giebler is racing, however, that thing, here, *shudder*

Ankf00
06-11-04, 05:18 PM

not arguing with that, just won't blame the man for taking a paying ride

nrc
06-11-04, 06:07 PM
not arguing with that, just won't blame the man for taking a paying ride

I think this is where we're failing to communicate. I don't blame Buddy for taking a paying ride if there wasn't anything else being offered. But I don't have any particular respect for him as a race driver based on anything he does in the IRL. In the absence of that respect it's easy enough to have laugh at his expense from time to time.

Back in the year of Buddy's Atlantic win in Cleveland someone from behind the scenes told me that they didn't think Rice would never land a CART ride. The reason was that he didn't take it seriously or work hard enough. Maybe that has changed or maybe he just found a series that doesn't require so much effort.

Ankf00
06-11-04, 07:05 PM
agreement then

nrc
06-11-04, 09:57 PM
Why didn't someone else snap up Memo nrc?

It would seem that at that point in time TCGR offered a better springboard than a Dale Coyne ride.

For the same reasons Rice, Barron, Fogarty, and Valliente weren't. Not enough funded rides with owners who aren't convinced that a European racing pedigree is a ticket to immediate wins.

Ziggy
06-12-04, 01:56 AM
nrc, as you stated in another thread "Danica is second in Atlantic points"......

I was at Milwaukee, and she, along with the 11 other guys on that grid, got a good azzkicking from Fogerty. It was not even close. Not enough Atlantics, not enough to even be a blip on the talent screen save Jon.

JMO

Ziggy