PDA

View Full Version : Two Shining Stars and One Black Sheep

HolyCrap
06-09-04, 11:16 AM
Holy Crap, I just now got a chance to watch the coverage of the Milwaukee race on Spike TV. It got me to thinking about the weekend that was, and it all boils down to this for me: Two shining starts and one black sheep.

The biggest impression of the weekend on me was Ryan Hunter-Reay. I can not say enough about how nice this kid was to work with in person. And I can think of no better storyline for the series than to have a media-friendly, camera-friendly American driver find success in the series. He could certainly go on to become the poster boy for the CCWS.

The other shining star was A.J. Allmendinger. How can you not like this kid? It's how the entire system should work...the way he drove his way through the ranks to the big leagues...and he proved he belonged there with his drive in Milwaukee. His enthusiasm, love of the sport, talent...the complete package.

These two guys are the new lifeblood, the future of this series...mark my words.

The black sheep?

Nelson Phillipe.

Oh what money can buy.
That was a hazard out there, and it's wrong to have field fillers like that. He should be racing with me and the boys in H.O. Champ Car, not the real thing!

Chief
06-09-04, 11:37 AM
Oh stop it....He's no ovalmeister like Dr. Jack Miller was, but he could be the next Michel Jourdain, Jr. in a few years. Even Jenks had two races under his belt before the axe swung.

Chaos
06-09-04, 11:38 AM
maybe, but i think phillipe could use some seasoning in Atlantics. I even thought Jourdain was too young at the time, and could've used some more time in Atlantics.

racer2c
06-09-04, 11:47 AM
I've got my money on RHR to be the poster boy for the CCWS also. But I must admit, I let out a sigh when I heard he was dating Robby's younger sister. I hope Robby isn't dropping hints to Ryan that he should race at Indy or saying things like "you could be a big star in NASCAR". I hope he sticks with it. He could make the press forget about Buddy.

racer2c
06-09-04, 11:51 AM
maybe, but i think phillipe could use some seasoning in Atlantics. I even thought Jourdain was too young at the time, and could've used some more time in Atlantics.

Good idea.

JoeBob
06-09-04, 12:07 PM
Jourdain's career was almost ruined by starting in ChampCars when he was only 18. Even today, people see him as some Mexican ridebuyer - not realizing just how young he is. It is only because of Bobby Rahal's love of money that he even got a chance in a quality ride.

I think he would have been better served winning in lesser series than tooling around at the back with the ChampCars.

The same can be said for Phillipe.

HolyCrap
06-09-04, 12:09 PM
Wait a minute...
So Ryan's blonde squeeze Becky is Robby Gordon's kid sister? Is that what you're telling me?

And I forgot about the "Racing Dentist" dude...thanks for making me laugh this morning.

Madmaxfan2
06-09-04, 12:49 PM
I think that Robbie wished he was in CART. But NASCAR pays the bills and he has not worn out his welcome yet, and a one off Indy is fairly easy for him to swing. I think he really wants to be a car owner.

Insomniac
06-09-04, 12:58 PM
Holy Crap, I just now got a chance to watch the coverage of the Milwaukee race on Spike TV. It got me to thinking about the weekend that was, and it all boils down to this for me: Two shining starts and one black sheep.

The biggest impression of the weekend on me was Ryan Hunter-Reay. I can not say enough about how nice this kid was to work with in person. And I can think of no better storyline for the series than to have a media-friendly, camera-friendly American driver find success in the series. He could certainly go on to become the poster boy for the CCWS.

The other shining star was A.J. Allmendinger. How can you not like this kid? It's how the entire system should work...the way he drove his way through the ranks to the big leagues...and he proved he belonged there with his drive in Milwaukee. His enthusiasm, love of the sport, talent...the complete package.

These two guys are the new lifeblood, the future of this series...mark my words.

The black sheep?

Nelson Phillipe.

Oh what money can buy.
That was a hazard out there, and it's wrong to have field fillers like that. He should be racing with me and the boys in H.O. Champ Car, not the real thing!

Do you realize Ryan's dad bought him a ride last year? Money bought Ryan's way into CART. Tag wasn't having the best race either. The kid's a rookie, give him a break. AJ earned his way into ChampCar and clearly has the talent. Ryan wasn't lighting it up in TA before he moved to ChampCar. There were better drivers in TA. His money bought him an opportunity. The idea that every guy who buys a ride is a wanker and has no business in ChampCar is stupid. Yes, lavin put it in the wall in the end, but he went from backmarker to mid-pack just by switching teams. The fact is, they buy rides at poor teams in the first place. The teams that don't need ride buyers have more resources.

Dr. Corkski
06-09-04, 01:41 PM
Do you realize Ryan's dad bought him a ride last year? Money bought Ryan's way into CART. Tag wasn't having the best race either. The kid's a rookie, give him a break. AJ earned his way into ChampCar and clearly has the talent. Ryan wasn't lighting it up in TA before he moved to ChampCar. There were better drivers in TA. His money bought him an opportunity. The idea that every guy who buys a ride is a wanker and has no business in ChampCar is stupid. Yes, lavin put it in the wall in the end, but he went from backmarker to mid-pack just by switching teams. The fact is, they buy rides at poor teams in the first place. The teams that don't need ride buyers have more resources.RHR won 3 races in his rookie Atlantic year, although he could have probably used another year in Atlantics to round out the talent certainly was there.

That's a big difference than an underage male model who finished 9th the year before in a series 2 steps below Champ Cars, going 40mph off the pace in just about every race so far and going around telling people he earned his way into Champ Cars. Forsythe and Gentilozzi aren't exactly what you would call poor teams either.

nrc
06-09-04, 01:52 PM
Do you realize Ryan's dad bought him a ride last year? Money bought Ryan's way into CART. Tag wasn't having the best race either. The kid's a rookie, give him a break. AJ earned his way into ChampCar and clearly has the talent. Ryan wasn't lighting it up in TA before he moved to ChampCar.

Woah there.

Tied for lead with three wins in first season of Toyota Atlantic competition, claiming victory at Laguna Seca, Chicago and Cleveland, giving him wins on ovals, permanent road courses and temporary circuits in the same season... The Laguna Seca and Cleveland wins came from the pole and he also topped qualifying at Milwaukee...Won the WorldCom Fast Pace Award for setting most fastest race laps of the year and was also named as the BBS Rising Star of the series... Led a series-high 160 laps... Finished sixth in the series with 102 points.

Maybe you've got a different idea of "lighting it up" than I do, but those were some pretty fine results. He was fast, DNF or both pretty much all season. Spending last year with Jimmy learning to finish races may have been exactly what he needed.

There were better drivers in TA. His money bought him an opportunity. The idea that every guy who buys a ride is a wanker and has no business in ChampCar is stupid.

There may have been better drivers in TA - maybe Valiente or Fogarty - but RHR impressed everyone with his speed as a rookie. He led more laps than anyone even though he was only 15th in total laps completed.

There's no question that RHR brought money to get his ride last year. "Ride buyers" are not bad just because they buy their ride. They are bad when they suck.

RichK
06-09-04, 01:52 PM
With a few very rare exceptions, family/friend money brings most drivers to the point where they can begin earning a paycheck by driving racecars.

Philippe doesn't belong out there, IMO. He looked dangerously slow, like he had a flat tire.

JT265
06-09-04, 01:59 PM
RHR won 3 races in his rookie Atlantic year, although he could have probably used another year in Atlantics to round out the talent certainly was there.

That's a big difference than an underage male model who finished 9th the year before in a series 2 steps below Champ Cars, going 40mph off the pace in just about every race so far and going around telling people he earned his way into Champ Cars. Forsythe and Gentilozzi aren't exactly what you would call poor teams either.

I know that weird stuff can just plain happen, and of course there are coincidences, etc, but in this case myself and the good commie doctor agree 1000%.

See Corkster, you have lucid moments afterall. :D

JoeBob
06-09-04, 02:56 PM
Paul Tracy bought a ride with Dale Coyne - and it wasn't even a full season gig. He bought a one off at Long Beach!

That fat, nerdy ride buyer from Indy Lights did okay for himself.

And, yes, HC. That blonde chick on RHR's arm is Robby Gordon's kid sister.

HolyCrap
06-09-04, 03:12 PM
Don't get me wrong, I understand ride-buying is just the way the world works some times....it's not always a bad thing.

But being a downright hazard out there, that's another.

Now, lets talk about brighter things...like Becky ;)

BNica
06-09-04, 03:16 PM
Jourdain's career was almost ruined by starting in ChampCars when he was only 18. Even today, people see him as some Mexican ridebuyer - not realizing just how young he is. It is only because of Bobby Rahal's love of money that he even got a chance in a quality ride.

I think he would have been better served winning in lesser series than tooling around at the back with the ChampCars.

The same can be said for Phillipe.

While Michel did not compete in any of the 'feeder series" , he did spend some races in the EARL where he ended up with a podium at Vegas, when that series was running 95 spec cars.

Ankf00
06-09-04, 08:20 PM
I know that weird stuff can just plain happen, and of course there are coincidences, etc, but in this case myself and the good commie doctor agree 1000%.

See Corkster, you have lucid moments afterall. :D

:saywhat: who gave him some Xanax?

Chiphead_Dave
06-09-04, 08:54 PM
The first race when Mrs. T did the interview of Fabio I looked
at him and said.

Spoiled rich, no talent, pansy, Gay male model wannabe.

It seems my first impression was the correct one.

His helmet is probably a converted salon hair dryer.
His team must get tired of tripping over the bottles of conditioner
and hot wax hair remover.

Send him to the EARL. FTG needs a new draw. The Sara thing
has warn thin.

Methanolandbrats
06-09-04, 09:46 PM
at him and said.

has warn thin. Ya, but if the dude pulls a Breck Girl Sponsorship, that's big dollars for Champcar.

Michaelhatesfans
06-09-04, 09:54 PM
But I must admit, I let out a sigh when I heard he was dating Robby's younger sister. I hope Robby isn't dropping hints to Ryan that he should race at Indy or saying things like "you could be a big star in NASCAR".
Ryan can nip that in conversation in the bud.
"Ryan, you should have a look at NASCAR..."
"I have naked pictures of your sister. Want to see them?"
Conversation ends.
:cool:

Dr. Corkski
06-09-04, 11:24 PM
Ryan can nip that in conversation in the bud.
"Ryan, you should have a look at NASCAR..."
"I have naked pictures of your sister. Want to see them?"
Conversation ends.
:cool:Well, Robby has been in NASCAR for awhile now, so he just might want to see them! :gomer:

Rogue Leader
06-09-04, 11:29 PM
at him and said.

has warn thin.

I agree i saw that kid and his house and its like "we have our fleet of jetskis the old one is over there"... "i dont use the olympic sized pool its too small"... I wanted to punch him in the face.... oh and shave his head.

I was waiting for him to say, daddy wants me to drive Champ Cars so he paid my way in.

Theres highly talented drivers out there (like me hehe :) ) who are groveling for sponsorship (and not getting anywhere) who would pimp slap this kid around the race track in anything with 4 wheels, but cant get anywhere due to lack of $$$. I support PG and Rocketsports and I am a Tag fan but this is Pretty lame :rolleyes:

Chiphead_Dave
06-10-04, 10:00 AM
Ya, but if the dude pulls a Breck Girl Sponsorship, that's big dollars for Champcar.

Man it's to early in the morning for somthing that
funny. I shot my pepsi out of my nose. OWWWWch.

Fitti Fan
06-10-04, 10:23 AM
The guy was rather rude when walking by on his way to the Turn 4 hospitality. Drivers will usually at least wave, but he didn't even appear to recognize his own name.

Insomniac
06-10-04, 10:44 AM
Woah there.

Maybe you've got a different idea of "lighting it up" than I do, but those were some pretty fine results. He was fast, DNF or both pretty much all season. Spending last year with Jimmy learning to finish races may have been exactly what he needed.

There may have been better drivers in TA - maybe Valiente or Fogarty - but RHR impressed everyone with his speed as a rookie. He led more laps than anyone even though he was only 15th in total laps completed.

There's no question that RHR brought money to get his ride last year. "Ride buyers" are not bad just because they buy their ride. They are bad when they suck.

I can admit when I'm wrong. For some reason I thought he only won one race in 2002. That is my mistake. My point wasn't to make RHR look bad. My point was, if he didn't buy a ride, we would never be able to appreciate how good he is. Phillipe is 17, he moved up from Barber Dodge. Do you expect the kid to be blazing fast? Very young, new series, and a lot more powerful cars. Plus setting up the car. It will take some time. Lavin went from backmarker to mid-packer just by switching teams. Dominguez went from back-marker to competitive front runner in one season. Not everyone can be Juan Montoya or Sebastian Bourdais their "rookie" season. A lot of people here think that if these "wankers" didn't buy a ride, someone with talent and no money would get it. That makes no sense.

RaceGrrl
06-10-04, 10:57 AM
The guy was rather rude when walking by on his way to the Turn 4 hospitality. Drivers will usually at least wave, but he didn't even appear to recognize his own name.

Maybe it's because he wants to be called "Loretta"

Jervis Tetch 1
06-10-04, 11:55 AM
Scott Pruett bought his ride at Long Beach way back in 1986 (or was it 87?).

mlj
06-11-04, 07:56 AM
Maybe it's because he wants to be called "Loretta"

Hey, with all the female names out there, why do you have to use mine! :D

m"Loretta"j

JoeBob
06-11-04, 11:03 AM
:rofl:

Good first post! (And very interesting reason to stop lurking!)

nrc
06-11-04, 11:12 AM
"Why do you want to be called Loretta, Stan?"