PDA

View Full Version : The 50 Coolest Song Parts in Rock

racer2c
06-08-04, 02:08 PM
Ah, the memories...

Link (http://www.retrocrush.com/archive2004/coolsongs/index.html)

RacinM3
06-08-04, 02:17 PM
LOL, pretty good list, but to me, to put that hack Phil Collins at #1 over Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen at #4 is a mortal sin.

RichK
06-08-04, 02:19 PM
That's cool....just looking at the some of the album covers, I know which part of which song they are listing! :cool:

nrc
06-08-04, 02:45 PM
Collins wasn't always a hack and "In The Air Tonight" certainly qualifies as one of the best song parts ever. I agree that Bohemium Rapsedy should have topped it, though.

One part I think they're missing on that list is from the Eagles "Hotel California". "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave..." and into the guitar solo. Heck, even the acoustic intro, then "thump thump" into the first verse beats out some of the lower ranked parts on that list.

RaceGrrl
06-08-04, 03:01 PM
Two other great ones: the drum intro from Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies and the intro for Eighteen.

RichK
06-08-04, 03:11 PM
Collins wasn't always a hack and "In The Air Tonight" certainly qualifies as one of the best song parts ever. I agree that Bohemium Rapsedy should have topped it, though.

One part I think they're missing on that list is from the Eagles "Hotel California". "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave..." and into the guitar solo. Heck, even the acoustic intro, then "thump thump" into the first verse beats out some of the lower ranked parts on that list.

:eek: My first scan of that list was the guitar solo on Hotel California. Great minds..... :)

Rob
06-08-04, 03:19 PM
I'd like to add two from Boston. The first is the intro to Long Time (called "Foreplay") where the drums just pound away in rapid-fire time followed by those keyboards reaching a crescendo before sudden near-silence.

The other one is in the middle of Can'tcha Say/Still in Love. After the song slows down during the Still in Love part, the drums come back up and are greeted by those soaring guitars. Gives me the chills every time.

Then there's the really long Guns'n'Roses song Coma at the end of Use Your Illusion I, which has a lot of impact throughout. It ends with Axl firing off most of its lyrics in one giant rush before his voice flows into a loud squealing guitar that climbs in pitch until it's nearly off the scale. Then there are a few several seconds of quiet before that final punch of drums which end the song in no uncertain terms.

Lizzerd
06-08-04, 03:29 PM
I can't believe David Gilmour's guitar solo in "Comfortably Numb" is not on the list.

devilmaster
06-08-04, 03:47 PM
Naturally, any best list is one or a small group of people's favorites. I'd probably throw heart off the list (can't stand that song) and phil collins down a few notches because 8 simple drums beats should not beat out some of the other songs on the list.

My humble request for additions:

1) The Rain Song, Led Zepplin - starts out as a quiet love ballad with Robert singing about the experience of summer love and then it bridges into the wailing of vocals and guitar and lyrics about loss. Probably my favorite Zep tune and one of the best bridges i've ever heard.

2) Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd - I complain above about 8 drum beats from Phil Collins, yet the first beat of this song with the echo'd guitar slide into the lyrics is one of the coolest intros to a song. Problem is, with Pink Floyd, almost all their songs started this way, no? ;)

3) Hollywood Nights, Bob Seger - the driving drum riff throught the song, done by combining two different drum tracks together. Story goes that one of the session players, after recording this song, had a tape made for the car ride home. As he listened, he surprised himself by looking down and realizing he was driving at 100 mph.

4) ....And the Gods Made Love, Jimi Hendrix - I'm probably one of a small but persistent group that believes that Electric Ladyland was Jimi's best work. This was 1 minute and 12 seconds of drums, synth, guitar feedback, and worked vocals, at the start of the album.

A few ideas of mine, anyways.....

Steve

p.s. Lizzerd put his post in while I was writing out my thesis here ;). We're thinking alike again dude. :cool:

FTG
06-08-04, 04:04 PM
Ozzy screaming, whatever it is he says, in War Pigs.

nz_climber
06-08-04, 04:26 PM
Add:
The opening baseline to Gigantic by the Pixxies

and Disarm by the Smashing Pumpkins :thumbup:

pchall
06-08-04, 04:55 PM
LOL, pretty good list, but to me, to put that hack Phil Collins at #1 over Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen at #4 is a mortal sin.

What about Phil Collins singing in the sewer kids scene in C*****-c*****-bang-bang?

G.
06-08-04, 05:09 PM
Rob, dead on about Coma! That song is awesome!

And Biz Markie! Awesome! I am quite fond of belting out that stupid tune, given enough booze. My wife is so proud. :gomer:

G.
06-08-04, 05:36 PM
And where is the beginning of Zep's Black Dog? Overplayed, to be sure, but, cmon.

And, a personal fave, that few know of, the beginning to Head East's song Never Been Any Reason.

Dr. Corkski
06-08-04, 05:49 PM
:eek: My first scan of that list was the guitar solo on Hotel California. Great minds..... :) :thumbup:

Thought the instrumental part of "Light My Fire" by the Doors could have been on that list as well.

KLang
06-08-04, 05:52 PM
And, a personal fave, that few know of, the beginning to Head East's song Never Been Any Reason.

:thumbup:

http://www.head-east.com/images/faap2fca.jpg

IlliniRacer
06-08-04, 07:00 PM
Add:
The opening baseline to Gigantic by the Pixxies

Absolutely!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad to see the Replacements made it. However, I would say the Cymbal crash errr Wobble on the floor at the end of I.O.U. or the opening riff of Bastards of Young are as good or better than the Alex Chilton guitar riff.

I would also add Dave Grohl's hyperactive drums in Nirvana's Breed and what I still consider the greatest guitar riff of all time - Day Tripper by the Beatles.

Don Quixote
06-08-04, 07:10 PM
How's about the beginning of "Can You Hear Me Knocking?" by the Stones

I also like the start of "Tie Your Mother Down" by Queen.

nz_climber
06-08-04, 07:22 PM
Absolutely!!!!
I would also add Dave Grohl's hyperactive drums in Nirvana's Breed and what I still consider the greatest guitar riff of all time - Day Tripper by the Beatles.

Good to see someone here knows what I was talking about :) (the live version on their dvd is awesome)

and I agree with Dave Grohl on the drums :thumbup:

Sean O'Gorman
06-08-04, 07:33 PM
Tenacious D? :saywhat:

nz_climber
06-08-04, 07:52 PM
Tenacious D? :saywhat:

no i wasn't talking about tenacious d :confused: and they have no right to be mentioned any thread related to Cool!! :eek:

Sean O'Gorman
06-08-04, 08:08 PM
no i wasn't talking about tenacious d :confused: and they have no right to be mentioned any thread related to Cool!! :eek:

No, I was asking why Tenacious D was on the list.

Jervis Tetch 1
06-08-04, 08:43 PM
My vote goes for the solo guitar opening from "Rusty Cage" and the bass solo in the first part of the song along with Chris Cornell's baleful wail...

BTW, the song's off Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden.

A classic in ANY year.

Robstar
06-08-04, 09:02 PM
I vote for the Guitar/Motorbike start to Kickstart My Heart :cool:

nz_climber
06-08-04, 09:41 PM
No, I was asking why Tenacious D was on the list.

ahhh ok, i didn't see it

longbeach32
06-08-04, 10:47 PM
how about Dire Straits, Money for Nothing - about a minute into the song...

the drums, guitar, and the others...

Ziggy
06-08-04, 10:56 PM
Rory Gallagher, Fall apart. The solo in this song is just jaw dropping

The intro to "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent

The multi solo of any number of Outlaw tunes

Pat Travers wading in and kicking major ass on "you dont love me"

Michael Schenker's solo, pick one

The intro and melody of Blue Sky by The Allman Brothers

The into of Robert Ward's "fear no evil"

Jeff Beck's rockabilly solo's on "crazy legs" (damn)!

The driving rythem and all around tighness of any Thin Lizzy tune, the backbeat will cut your head off

There are tons of them

Sean O'Gorman
06-08-04, 11:00 PM
The driving rythem and all around tighness of any Thin Lizzy tune, the backbeat will cut your head off

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I put the start of Jailbreak as my #1.

JT265
06-08-04, 11:10 PM
That's some good stuff Zig. And LB, good call on Mark's intro licks. Also nice to see Jimi get some props too. :thumbup:

chop456
06-09-04, 07:59 AM
The key change in Otis Redding's "Dock of the Bay" (Looks like nothin's gonna' change)

Warlock!
06-09-04, 08:00 AM
What a ridiculous list. They may as well just have a list of "The Greatest Shades of White of All Time". There are so many differences and preferences to music that I find it hard to believe they have the gall to call "hundreds of reader suggestions" 'The 50 Coolest Song Parts of all time'.

Oh well... I guess to those hundreds of readers they are. :gomer:

chop456
06-09-04, 08:03 AM
They may as well just have a list of "The Greatest Shades of White of All Time". :

Benjamin Moore's "Frosty Linen".

It's breathtaking. :D

cart7
06-09-04, 11:20 AM
I'd add the beginning of Red Ryders "Lunatic Fringe"

the beginning of ELO's "Fire on High" (a verse recorded backwards plays in the background)

The beginning of Brownsville Stations "Martian Boogie"

beginning of Pink Floyds "Have a Cigar"

beginning of Grand Funk Railroads "I can feel him in the Morning"

beginning of 707's "I could be good for you"

amoung others.

racer2c
06-09-04, 11:40 AM
I don't know if it qualifies as cool, but the beginning of Pyromania was rememberable. Umpingleepinglopinglobin, boom tat, boom boom tat.
And keeping with Def Lepard, the harmony guitars at the intro to Bringin on the Heartbreak was cool. Woow wooow wow wooow. :)

Don Quixote
06-09-04, 03:28 PM
The intro to "Stranglehold" by Ted Nugent

Hey Ziggy, also do you remember the into to "Hammer Down" by Nugent?

Ankf00
06-09-04, 08:29 PM

Thought the instrumental part of "Light My Fire" by the Doors could have been on that list as well.

nice try, we all know the only thing you listen to is William Hung

Classic Apex
06-10-04, 01:38 PM
Nice to see the The Cure and Depeche Mode represented.

:cool:

Smith's guitar solo in 'Bloodflowers' should be on the list.

pchall
06-10-04, 03:52 PM
John Lennon's soft, sucking hisses in "Girl".

Sean O'Gorman
06-10-04, 04:18 PM
nice try, we all know the only thing you listen to is William Hung

C'mon, no musician listens only to recordings of himself all day! :laugh:

Dave99
06-10-04, 08:45 PM
Dick Wagner's awesome guitar work should be near the top of that list.

His intro and/or solo on Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane" (live), his intro and/or solo on Aerosmith's "Train Kept A Rollin" or his finger-picking fret work on Alice Cooper's live version of "I'm Eighteen" are classic!

nrc
06-10-04, 09:21 PM
Dick Wagner's awesome guitar work should be near the top of that list.

His intro and/or solo on Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane" (live), his intro and/or solo on Aerosmith's "Train Kept A Rollin" or his finger-picking fret work on Alice Cooper's live version of "I'm Eighteen" are classic!

The live version of "Eighteen" from which release? I've never heard a live version I thought matched the original, mainly because they mix out the bass part or just don't have a bass player who can cover Dennis Dunnaway's original. Same goes for the drums in every live version of Billion Dollar Babies.

[Edit]Ok, I remember now. You're talking about the version on "The Alice Cooper Show". I had forgotten it because overall that CD pretty much sucked. Wagner's guitar playing is a highlight, but I still prefer the original power riff to all the fiddly stuff Wagner adds in that version.

Ziggy
06-10-04, 09:40 PM
Have to agree with nrc on all points

Ziggy blew up his new stereo about 11am the Saturday before the Indy 500. HOW???? Some wanker had a freakin' karoke machine in a yard behind me! (dont get me started) when I went outside Saturday morning to pick up dog refuse, Im hearing somebody butcher "Im 18" !!!!

So, being the guy that I am, I wipped out my 100 foot speaker leads, and put the Klipsch KLR30's on the back porch. Insert "love it to death" in CD player and crank the volume to "+4", as soon as the harmonica started, it went deathly silent! DANG!!!!

Blew an inline fuse that protects the speakers.

Ankf00
06-11-04, 02:05 AM
C'mon, no musician listens only to recordings of himself all day! :laugh:

I don't know, between Timberlake and Axle Rose... that can be questioned, thefore Corkski Hung is not beyond doubt.

nrc
06-11-04, 02:11 AM
Insert "love it to death" in CD player and crank the volume to "+4", as soon as the harmonica started, it went deathly silent! DANG!!!!

Blew an inline fuse that protects the speakers.

That'll do it! :)

Dave99
06-13-04, 07:14 PM
[Edit]Ok, I remember now. You're talking about the version on "The Alice Cooper Show". I had forgotten it because overall that CD pretty much sucked. Wagner's guitar playing is a highlight, but I still prefer the original power riff to all the fiddly stuff Wagner adds in that version.
Yup, yup and yup.

Extra credit for the AC afficianados: What was Eighteen's song title in demo form?

JohnHKart
06-14-04, 07:14 AM
Yup, yup and yup.

Extra credit for the AC afficianados: What was Eighteen's song title in demo form?

Someone in my band was just talking about this the other day, and I didn't know it, but the song was originally called I'm Aching....and of course when they went over it again, they decided it sounded a lot like I'm 18 and the rest is history.

John

G.
06-14-04, 11:00 AM
OK, again, way overdone, but you must admit that this is a piece of Americana.

"What song is it you wanna hear?"

"Freeeebird"

"I heard it then."

Michaelhatesfans
06-15-04, 01:35 AM
All Supertramp songs have that really good part where the song ends and you don't have to hear it anymore. I love that part!