PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitos!

G.
06-08-04, 10:49 AM
ARRRGGGHH! They are killing me!

Long ago on 7G, I asked for opinions about the mosquito trap that are being sold now. There were some good responses and advice. Alas, I didn't take any of it. :cry:

I bought the Coleman Mosquito Deleto. What a POS. Ran for about 10 days this year, not a single bugger was caught. They would just swarm around the thing. Guess they were awaiting their personalized invitation to get stuck on the glue trap.

Anyways, I returned it last night. I want to try one of those with the fan that draws them into the net. Anyone have any experience with them? Which ones are best?

Thanks in advance.

G.

Methanolandbrats
06-08-04, 11:02 AM
All those machines are bull****. Even if they worked there is an almost infinite supply of mosquitos when there is a new hatch. Just use repellent. I found some lemon stuff that works great and there is no deet.

KLang
06-08-04, 11:02 AM
We've had a Mosquito Magnet for a couple years now and it does work. I don't buy their claims of protecting an entire acre though, would depend on how your yard is layed out and where the source of the buggers is. My experience dealing with the company that makes them has been very good! Last year I couldn't get the thing to power up at the beginning of the year and they immediatly sent me new guts for the machine even though the warrany period had expired. Has worked flawlessly since then.

The newer models have some additional features I like, so I've been thinking about buying a second one.

Rob
06-08-04, 12:07 PM
Buy a new Mercedes F1 engine and a dyno. The ones that don't die from the smoke will be frightened away forever.

anait
06-08-04, 01:20 PM
We've had a Mosquito Magnet for a couple years now and it does work. I don't buy their claims of protecting an entire acre though, would depend on how your yard is layed out and where the source of the buggers is. My experience dealing with the company that makes them has been very good! Last year I couldn't get the thing to power up at the beginning of the year and they immediatly sent me new guts for the machine even though the warrany period had expired. Has worked flawlessly since then.

The newer models have some additional features I like, so I've been thinking about buying a second one.

We bought one last year, and it made the difference between using the back yard at all after mid-June and staying inside until fall. We of course use repellent, but it's been so bad the last few years that even with repellent on, they swarm around you so thickly you end up breathing them in. Unpleasant.

As for their effective range, apparently mosquitoes aren't exactly long-range travellers. Generally, they stay within a few 'houses' worth of where they hatch. We situated our Magnet at the far end of our back yard, between us and the open field/mosquito hatchery to the west. It really worked. Sure a few stray mosquitoes were swatted in our yard, but not many.

We also are having trouble starting ours this spring. Mr anait replaced the propane tank and the wires, but still no go. Thanks for the info, KLang, hopefully we'll have ours running again shortly! :)

racer2c
06-08-04, 01:49 PM
Just yesterday dad sent one of those chain emails about how to deal with the little pests using common household things. I wonder if anyone really tries this? I don't have the email here at work but some of the things on the list were...

Take B1 vitamins. A man claims he has never been bite by a mosquito in 33 years because he takes B1.

Don't eat bananas in the summer. Mosquito's are attracted to the scent of bananas.

Wipe your exposed skin with dryer fabric softeners. I wouldn't so this myself, but they claim it works and good for toddlers (probably because they don't mind smelling like a dryer sheet?)

Turn7
06-08-04, 01:52 PM
We probably have 50 or so garden dragons running around the flowerbeds and backyard. They seem to be keeping them in check. Between those and some Off, I don't seem to have much of a problem.

http://home.att.net/~larvalbugbio/anolemale.jpg

KLang
06-08-04, 02:01 PM
We also are having trouble starting ours this spring. Mr anait replaced the propane tank and the wires, but still no go. Thanks for the info, KLang, hopefully we'll have ours running again shortly! :)

The new guts they sent us also included a valve attached to the side of the thing. It is used to inject CO2, via one of those little cartridges to clean out the insides. Apparently the propane leaves behind some gunk of some sort. The directions said to use the CO2 thingy with every other propane tank change. Not sure if that is your issue or not but do give them a call, they were very helpful on the phone.

G.
06-08-04, 02:07 PM
OK, mosquitos...prepare to be repelled!!!!!
Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...Best thing ever used in Louisiana..just wipe on & go...Great for Babies

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October . He said it works. He was right. Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it. Every one he has talked into trying it works on them. Vitimin B-1 ( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)

If you eat bananas, the mosquitos like you, - something about the banana oil as your body processes it. Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitos will be much less interested.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs do not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without using insecticides.

"Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellant you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol.

One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla. This is the pure vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects.

When all else fails--get a frog.

FALSE!

http://www.snopes.com/spoons/oldwives/skeeters.htm

Anait, what brand do you have?

Meth, what is your lemon product?

I have the metabolism that tells skeeters that I am a big bag-o-juicy blood. They love me! Nothing but hardcore DEET works for me, but I don't lke having to go around smelling like a camper all day. Yes, day. I got attacked this AM about 9:00 in the AM. Drove to work with them in the car.

Also, I have twin 1 year olds. Not liking them getting exposed to DEET.

Methanolandbrats
06-08-04, 03:31 PM
I don't remember the brand, but the repellent was a few percent citrus oil and then some water based inert carriers. It worked well. I also agree Avon Skin-so-Soft works for most people. I was on a canoe trip in Upper Michigan Mosquito hell and used it. My buddies were slapping on pretty stiff concentrations of Deet and laughing at me. They were'nt laughing when the black flys were tearing them apart and leaving me alone :D

Andrew Longman
06-08-04, 03:57 PM
Put up a few bat boxes. And keep standing water from collecting nearby.

Its not perfect, but a single brown bat can eat 1200 insects PER HOUR. That puts a considerable dent in the "endless supply"

Turn7
06-08-04, 06:46 PM
1200/hr? That is one every 3 seconds. :eek:

mapguy
06-08-04, 06:56 PM
I'd be worried if I saw this Mosquito flying towards me...

http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Glues/Aerolite/mosquito.jpg

nz_climber
06-08-04, 07:25 PM
I'd be worried if I saw this Mosquito flying towards me...

that one is easy to fix

http://www.eskimo.com/~ktlange/dunaway/Iraqi%20AA%20Gun.jpg

oddlycalm
06-08-04, 07:50 PM
We have the Skeeter Vac SV-35 and I can report great results if the amount of mosquitoes caught is any measure. We are able to use the patio and backyard without any trouble at all, yet the traps are always full of dead skeeters. It's only 1/3 of the price of the comparable model Mosquito Magnets. The guy that works for me in Georgia also has one and is now able to use his pool area without getting eaten alive. This model makes it's own electricity as well as creating it's own CO2, and it's easy to move around.

This site has the most complete information an feel free to call them and discuss your requirements. Nice folks, low prices, and they know their business.Mosquito traps (http://www.northlineexpress.com/mosquito_exterminators.asp?/?Source=googlead)
SkeeterVac SV-35 (http://www.northlineexpress.com/5UV-SV35.asp)
oc

Robstar
06-08-04, 08:21 PM
And keep standing water from collecting nearby.

If you have water at the base of your pot plants, put a splash of beer in, mozzies hate it... just make sure it is Light Beer so as not to waste the good stuff ;)

Citronella Candles Rock :thumbup:

I'm actually one of those freaks that doesn't get bitten by them, although my Mrs gets hammered by them in summer...

I was told by a pest control guy that they are attracted to females moreso than males because females give off more CO2 - So maybe don't sleep with yours :D

Jervis Tetch 1
06-08-04, 08:47 PM
It's the MOSQUITOES!

Bingo, Bango, Bongo and Irving!

anait
06-09-04, 12:53 AM
I think ours is the Mosquito Magnet brand. Don't know the model number, I'll look tomorrow.

We had a citronella cream repellent for the kids several years ago that worked great, but the scent was so overpowering they hated wearing it. Mr anait couldn't stand it either. We're using Skin-So-Soft for our 2 yr old.

I usually use Skintastic; I break out the Muskol for heavy duty protection. I'm another big ol' flashing FREE BLOOD sign...mr anait never gets bitten when he's outside with me.

Andrew Longman
06-09-04, 01:00 PM
1200/hr? That is one every 3 seconds. :eek:

That's what the scientists say.

I guess they are like potato chips. You can't stop at just one.