PDA

View Full Version : Review - MotoGP movie: FASTER

RichK
06-07-04, 04:57 PM
If any of you get a chance, see "FASTER" - a documentary on MotoGP. I can't emphasize enough how cool this movie is!

I watched a special showing in Santa Cruz, CA last week. It is really well made, and follows the Rossi/Biaggi rivalry, goes back to the Rainey/Schwantz rivalry, and follows Gary McCoy through an injury filled career (hobbling up to his bike on a cane at many points). Time is also spent on young Californian John Hopkins' career, breaking into the big league. Lots of awesome footage with great music, and many interviews/funny moments with the top riders. It has a real "behind-the-scenes" feel to it. My wife became an instant Rossi & MotoGP fan after experiencing this movie.

One section of the film dealt with Wayne Rainey's final accident in Italy that resulted in his paralysis. This was particulary difficult to watch, as Wayne Rainey himself was sitting 4 rows in front of me in the theater! You could have heard a pin drop during this scene. I've never "heard" 700 people being so quiet in my life.

After the show, the movie's director and Wayne Rainey took questions for another hour, which was fascinating. I asked Wayne about the disparity between the number of successful Americans in MotoGP vs. Formula One. He pointed out that most American riders started racing on dirt tracks, which developed a unique and superior style for their era. He is now racing 140mph superkarts with Eddie Lawson, and I believe holds the track record at Laguna Seca, which is only 1 second off the fastest motorcycle lap at the track. He answered a few questions about his condition, which, 11 years later, he seems to have accepted and moved ahead. His son was also in the audience, and I wondered what he was thinking seeing his dad's crash on the screen, then signing autographs after the movie.

You can buy the DVD here: www.fastermovie.com (http://www.fastermovie.com). It's worth every penny IMO, but see it on the big screen if you can.

oddlycalm
06-07-04, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up Rich. Sounds like a "must own" for me.

I've been watching the Isle of Man TT all week, and it always brings back a rush of memories for me as well.

oc

lone_groover
06-07-04, 08:03 PM
Sounds T-riffic, if only for the footage from late 80s/early 90s, when giants still roamed the earth.

I admire the way you spend your free time, RichMan. Ever considered becoming a Big Brother/Big Sister?

SIKE!

:thumbup: