PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Carpentier

rabbit
06-06-04, 06:05 PM
What a great run for Patreek, "Best in Class" today. I was glad to see him finally be allowed to race Tracy and he got the best of the bargain both times. It's a bunch of hogwash to say he pushed PT high. Both moves were clean and he just flat out-raced Tracy (which is hard to do.) He also did a great job of holding off the charge from Jourdain. And now he's second in points. :thumbup:

Go Pat!

Insomniac
06-06-04, 06:17 PM
What a great run for Patreek, "Best in Class" today. I was glad to see him finally be allowed to race Tracy and he got the best of the bargain both times. It's a bunch of hogwash to say he pushed PT high. Both moves were clean and he just flat out-raced Tracy (which is hard to do.) He also did a great job of holding off the charge from Jourdain. And now he's second in points. :thumbup:

Go Pat!

I disagree a little. The first time, PT had him, bit was pushed up. Second time, PC held it at the bottom and didn't slide up at all. PT had a little too much speed heading into that turn that high. On a side note, they have to make harder, less marble producing tires. Marble problems 25 laps in? That is terrible. Great race by PC though. Well deserved 2nd place. And his post race, entertaining as usual. :)

rabbit
06-06-04, 06:20 PM
I disagree a little. The first time, PT had him, bit was pushed up. Second time, PC held it at the bottom and didn't slide up at all. PT had a little too much speed heading into that turn that high.It certainly wasn't any worse than the litany of "moves" PT has made on his teammates over the years. Him complaining about that move is the pot calling the mixing bowl black.

Rogue Leader
06-06-04, 06:24 PM
Gerry Forsythe pisses me off with the fact that Patrick almost didnt have a ride this year because Rodolfo Lavin brings in Corona Money. After seeing him run today, I'm thinking, man what a crappy business this is that some cut rate driver with a big sponsor behind him could knock out a TITLE CONTENDER like Patrick Carpentier. Almost as bad as the IRL sellouts.

BTW Isnt it impressive Gaston Movingchicane managed to beat both Sebastien Bourdais and Paul Tracy! (in the fact he just crashed later and much harder!)

Insomniac
06-06-04, 06:28 PM
It certainly wasn't any worse than the litany of "moves" PT has made on his teammates over the years. Him complaining about that move is the pot calling the mixing bowl black.

I can't disagree with that. :) Just saying PC did push him the first time. Like they said, it's racing.

FRANKY
06-06-04, 07:14 PM
It certainly wasn't any worse than the litany of "moves" PT has made on his teammates over the years. Him complaining about that move is the pot calling the mixing bowl black.

It made Paul look a bit foolish. Tag did a good job all day.

Dirty Sanchez
06-06-04, 07:24 PM
PT caught whineritis something fierce. What a load. :cry:

:laugh:

Rogue Leader
06-06-04, 07:27 PM
PT caught whineritis something fierce. What a load. :cry:

:laugh:

I think its more like Junquieritis... very close to Streptofagatitis.... :D

Dirty Sanchez
06-06-04, 07:32 PM
Naaah, I don't think the championship leader has much to complain about. :cool:

Dr. Corkski
06-06-04, 07:34 PM
Must kill Forsythe to see that the guy he has been giving 3rd rate treatment to is 1 point out of the points lead while his two golden boys were busy being structural engineers. :thumbup:

Amanda B.'s Mom
06-06-04, 07:43 PM
It seems like Pat has always had to "fight for his life" with Forsythe? Wonder why? He has always been a talented driver, has a wonderful personality, and is a fan favorite. He also was part of the old players Development Driver Program. The only reason I can think of is lack of personal sponsorship money.

Wish I could have seen his run. His moments at the mile have always been classics.

Insomniac
06-06-04, 08:15 PM
It seems like Pat has always had to "fight for his life" with Forsythe? Wonder why? He has always been a talented driver, has a wonderful personality, and is a fan favorite. He also was part of the old players Development Driver Program. The only reason I can think of is lack of personal sponsorship money.

Wish I could have seen his run. His moments at the mile have always been classics.

It seems like he always does well when fighting for his life. Maybe this is the year he puts it all together from beginning to end.

rabbit
06-06-04, 08:19 PM
It seems like he always does well when fighting for his life. Maybe this is the year he puts it all together from beginning to end.
Maybe that's the reason Forsythe has been treating him the way he has.

JoeBob
06-06-04, 09:01 PM

He's always been a talented driver, but he's consistently been slower than his teammates. (Except maybe Tag - and Forsythe tossed Tag aside, not PC.)

He's just had the misfortune of having extremely talented teammates.

rabbit
06-06-04, 09:14 PM
He's always been a talented driver, but he's consistently been slower than his teammates. (Except maybe Tag - and Forsythe tossed Tag aside, not PC.)

He's just had the misfortune of having extremely talented teammates.
There have been A LOT of guys slower than Greg Moore and Paul Tracy.

Insomniac
06-06-04, 09:38 PM
Maybe that's the reason Forsythe has been treating him the way he has.

Hehe, a nice kick in the butt.

Methanolandbrats
06-06-04, 09:43 PM
PT does a fine impersonation of Montoya. A pass on the outside on cold tires and then whines when he drives it into the wall. Outstanding.

nrc
06-06-04, 10:43 PM
I don't think Forsythe is losing any sleep over the situation. Patrick always had a ride, it was just a question of where. If Forsythe didn't want him on the team he wouldn't be there.

As for Patrick, I just don't think he's performing up to his or the team's potential with 4 wins in 130 starts.

JoeBob
06-07-04, 11:20 AM
There have been A LOT of guys slower than Greg Moore and Paul Tracy.

Absolutely. But, the problem is, a team owner wonders, "How come our 2nd car isn't winning nearly as many races as the 1st car? I know they both have the same equipment." Then add in that when Pat was driving the 1st car, they had fewer wins than at any other time in the team's history.

I'm sure Forsythe thought, "If I'm going to have a driver in my 2nd car who doesn't win a lot of races, it may as well be one who will bring me some money."

Forsythe has a history of taking rides out from under guys, but his history is also that he takes care of them. Gerry put up a bit of money to keep Herta and Tag in cars, even though he could have just written them a check and sent them on their way.

pkvracing12
06-07-04, 01:03 PM
I was at MIS when Pat got his first win and I bought a forsythe racing hat that day. Then at Ceveland the next year signed that hat and won the race! Pat had always been one of my favorite drivers. Paul has sometimes needs someone to blame becuase he can't ever take the blame for his self. I wish Carpentier gets a better ride next year in ccws. Hey Jeemy finshed 4th :) a lao down :(

rabbit
06-07-04, 03:34 PM
Then add in that when Pat was driving the 1st car, they had fewer wins than at any other time in the team's history.
In all fairness to Pat and the team, everything was completely turned upside down for all of them on Oct. 31, 1999. It took Pat and the entire team a long time to recover from that.

Dr. Corkski
06-07-04, 06:04 PM
I don't think Forsythe is losing any sleep over the situation. Patrick always had a ride, it was just a question of where. If Forsythe didn't want him on the team he wouldn't be there.

As for Patrick, I just don't think he's performing up to his or the team's potential with 4 wins in 130 starts.And 8 years with no wins in Champ Cars and its ladder system is exactly the Tradition of Excellence that Forsythe is after.

Ziggy
06-07-04, 11:27 PM
Are you talking about PC?

I saw him win the last Michigan 500, and Mid Ohio. I know he won at Cleveland. My memory fails me, which is the fourth victory? Anybody?

Ziggy

Ed_Severson
06-07-04, 11:34 PM
Laguna Seca, last season.

But no, Zig, he's not referring to Carpentier. He's talking about Lavin, who ran Lights and Atlantics for seven years and never won a damn thing, and continued the tradition last year in Champ Cars.

What he forgets, though, is that money makes the world go 'round in this sport, and without Lavin, we're looking at a sixteen car grid rather than eighteen. You don't have to like it, but Forsythe did what he had to do to make sure we had a 2004 season.

JT265
06-08-04, 12:26 AM
And 8 years with no wins in Champ Cars and its ladder system is exactly the Tradition of Excellence that Forsythe is after.

Quick fix. Use your vast knowledge and insight to secure a 15mil/year sponsor for the series and/or Forsythe, and Lavin is back running karts.

They would even give you naming rights. Bridgestone presents the ChampCar World Series, powered by Corkski.

Dr. Corkski
06-08-04, 12:57 AM
Laguna Seca, last season.

But no, Zig, he's not referring to Carpentier. He's talking about Lavin, who ran Lights and Atlantics for seven years and never won a damn thing, and continued the tradition last year in Champ Cars.

What he forgets, though, is that money makes the world go 'round in this sport, and without Lavin, we're looking at a sixteen car grid rather than eighteen. You don't have to like it, but Forsythe did what he had to do to make sure we had a 2004 season.That post was referring to Carpentier not being good enough for the Forsythe ride.

Teams like Conquest, Walker, and Coyne are the ones who need the Corona money, not Forsythe. I have little doubt that there would have been 18 cars even if Forsythe hung on to the best driver he has on the team right now and didn't sell his ride to the highest bidding wanker. Unless it was Huub Rothengather neogotiating for Lavin, he was waving around too much cash to not get picked up by someone who otherwise could not afford to run a team without that money. Heck people are upset at Jaguar for taking on a ride-buyer with pretty decent credentials.

Dr. Corkski
06-08-04, 01:03 AM
Quick fix. Use your vast knowledge and insight to secure a 15mil/year sponsor for the series and/or Forsythe, and Lavin is back running karts.

They would even give you naming rights. Bridgestone presents the ChampCar World Series, powered by Corkski.As long as Forsythe is OK with money laundering, why not?

Ankf00
06-08-04, 02:07 AM

They would even give you naming rights. Bridgestone presents the ChampCar World Series, powered by Corkski.

well NHR pulled in PacifiCare and Lilly, Forsythe had 5 years to pull in... Forsythe.

Dr. Corkski
06-08-04, 02:11 AM
well NHR pulled in PacifiCare and Lilly, Forsythe had 5 years to pull in... Forsythe.Get it right, it's INDECK. :gomer:

Ankf00
06-08-04, 02:17 AM
Get it right, it's INDECK. :gomer:
my bad, it's the rocket fuel fumes

devilmaster
06-08-04, 02:25 AM
well NHR pulled in PacifiCare and Lilly, Forsythe had 5 years to pull in... Forsythe.

Although I forget his name at the moment, NHR has a marketing guru that has basically worked up all of NHR's sponsors over the years.... I'm sure someone here knows his name...

Anyways, as much as it'll never happen, I would really like to see this guy hired by ChampCar for the whole series, putting a group of marketers under his guidance.

Its using the 'best practices' from all teams in the series. NHR always has a sponsor. Use their abilities to help the series and other teams. It won't ensure a sponsor on every car, but its another piece of the puzzle to ensure ChampCar and its teams are in the black.

Steve

Ankf00
06-08-04, 02:35 AM
Although I forget his name at the moment, NHR has a marketing guru that has basically worked up all of NHR's sponsors over the years.... I'm sure someone here knows his name...

Anyways, as much as it'll never happen, I would really like to see this guy hired by ChampCar for the whole series, putting a group of marketers under his guidance.

Its using the 'best practices' from all teams in the series. NHR always has a sponsor. Use their abilities to help the series and other teams. It won't ensure a sponsor on every car, but its another piece of the puzzle to ensure ChampCar and its teams are in the black.

Steve

great idea, again.

JT265
06-08-04, 08:52 AM

As always, it's never quite that simple and there is more to the story, but as I'm not Paul Harvey ;), I'll let others relate it. Let's not forget also that fastRudy :saywhat: has a say in who he gives momma's money to.

Insomniac
06-09-04, 12:42 PM
Forsythe wants one big sponsor for both cars. He doesn't want to litter his cars with small sponsors. If he wants to pony up the money himself, that is his choice as a team owner.

No one complains about Russo not wanting to sell sponsorship until he can prove that they can compete.

Ankf00
06-09-04, 08:22 PM
No one complains about Russo not wanting to sell sponsorship until he can prove that they can compete.

Is that supposed to be like ASTJ giving careful consideration to and turning down unacceptable sponsorship offers?

Sponsorships have been shown to exist, it's a shame only NHR has shown the ability to step up when needed and snag them

Railbird
06-09-04, 09:03 PM
I don't think you can discount the effect PLN has on sponsorship gathering.

Whether actively involved in the deal or not his name is quite the calling card for the marketing types.

Insomniac
06-10-04, 10:31 AM
Is that supposed to be like ASTJ giving careful consideration to and turning down unacceptable sponsorship offers?

Sponsorships have been shown to exist, it's a shame only NHR has shown the ability to step up when needed and snag them

I think ASTJ was happy with their $1 Reynards, Hunter-Reay's Dad's money, ESP and ESPII money.

Insomniac
06-10-04, 10:33 AM
I don't think you can discount the effect PLN has on sponsorship gathering.

Whether actively involved in the deal or not his name is quite the calling card for the marketing types.

And somehow, Mario Andretti can't get sponsorship for his own team. Absolutely nothing makes sense.

KLang
06-10-04, 10:43 AM
And somehow, Mario Andretti can't get sponsorship for his own team. Absolutely nothing makes sense.

Are you sure Mario has tried? I've gotten the impression that Mario is happy being semi-retired.

rabbit
06-10-04, 11:56 AM
Are you sure Mario has tried? I've gotten the impression that Mario is happy being semi-retired.
Yes, Mario has tried. I'm sworn to secrecy, but I know of at least one company that received a proposal with his signature on it.

KLang
06-10-04, 12:17 PM
Yes, Mario has tried. I'm sworn to secrecy, but I know of at least one company that received a proposal with his signature on it.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Insomniac
06-11-04, 11:40 AM

He talked about getting a team together when they started doing those town meetings.

Ankf00
06-11-04, 05:25 PM
I think ASTJ was happy with their $1 Reynards, Hunter-Reay's Dad's money, ESP and ESPII money.
yet at the time plenty of people would throw hissy fits if any mention of Nick Hunter-Reay's part ownership of the team was mentioned and cite rumors of stephan's selectiveness with potential sponsors

Insomniac
06-12-04, 12:26 PM
yet at the time plenty of people would throw hissy fits if any mention of Nick Hunter-Reay's part ownership of the team was mentioned and cite rumors of stephan's selectiveness with potential sponsors

They still do. Whenever you question anything one of "our own" do, they flip. And as soon as someone goest to the other side it's F__ <-- insert initials here. How long would it take to see FJV if he went to the IRL? I'd say 30 seconds. It is entertaining though. :)