PDA

View Full Version : Race Director

SteveH
06-05-04, 11:32 PM
is awesome. Amazing use of technology. 3 video windows, live scoring and Vasser's audio all at once. Thankfully I have cable internet.

Will definately subscribe for the season, a real bargain. :cool:

Opposite Lock
06-06-04, 12:12 AM
Race Director rules! 6 windows of video, choices of audio, a Leaderboard window, and a Commentary window, all at once.

No commercials, No Breaks!

yes, 6 cameras.

skidmarks
06-06-04, 04:39 PM
plus I can watch at work!!!

Sean O'Gorman
06-06-04, 05:30 PM
plus I can watch at work!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've used RD every Saturday of the season at work, my co-workers get a kick out of the fact that I'm in the back room watching racing on the PC.

Dr. Corkski
06-06-04, 07:38 PM
car-to-pit radio: free
live timing and scoring: free
live commentary: free
6 different live video streams: free
watching PT get a taste of his own medicine: priceless

darrylkropp
06-07-04, 11:07 AM
is awesome. Amazing use of technology. 3 video windows, live scoring and Vasser's audio all at once. Thankfully I have cable internet.

Will definately subscribe for the season, a real bargain. :cool:

RD does sound like pretty cool technology. I doubt I'm going to subscribe though...$20US is pricey for something that should be free to build fan interest.

RaceGrrl
06-07-04, 11:10 AM
I disagree, Darryl. For what you get, $20 is a dirt cheap bargain.

darrylkropp
06-07-04, 11:16 AM
I disagree, Darryl. For what you get, $20 is a dirt cheap bargain.

$0 would be an even cheaper bargain. Some current fans will pay the $20 I guess, but a lot more casual fans would use the technology if it were free. And some of them might even get hooked on the sport.

RaceGrrl
06-07-04, 12:00 PM
Yeah. Give it all away- just like the IRL gives away tix. If you don't charge, you're telling people that your product isn't worth anything. A minimal charge is necessary, IMO.

Methanolandbrats
06-07-04, 12:28 PM
It's not expensive. Practice, qual and race coverage times 16 races is about 100 hours of coverage for $20

Steve99
06-07-04, 12:33 PM
$20 for the entire season is almost free. :)

I just wish their was a way to have RD be running at the same time the race is on Spike.

RaceGrrl
06-07-04, 12:39 PM

I just wish their was a way to have RD be running at the same time the race is on Spike.

Director on Demand... would you pay extra for race replay? It would be cool to tinker with the different camera angles. I didn't want to do that when we were watching the race live, but I might on replay.

darrylkropp
06-07-04, 12:39 PM
Yeah. Give it all away- just like the IRL gives away tix. If you don't charge, you're telling people that your product isn't worth anything. A minimal charge is necessary, IMO.

What is the product? RD or Champcar racing?

FRANKY
06-07-04, 12:49 PM

That's the only thing that kept me from buying it.

nrc
06-07-04, 12:59 PM
$0 would be an even cheaper bargain. Some current fans will pay the $20 I guess, but a lot more casual fans would use the technology if it were free. And some of them might even get hooked on the sport.

Once you're watching races and live timing on the Internet I think you're past "casual fan" status.

BruceS
06-07-04, 01:04 PM
I just registered and tried it for the first time on Saturday.

Just wondering if it is my PC or the way that RD is broadcast over the net that when you go to the full screen view, the picture seems very unclear (ie hard to read the leaderboard at top and see graphics on cars). I noticed that when I went to the Mult-Media display and played prior broadcasts such as Dangerous Curves, the full screen picture seemed much more clear (like my TV). Anyone else have this problem, or is it my PC?

Also, it may be soemthing else I'm doing wrong, but evertime I clicked on a different camera, it would take about 10 seconds or so (on Powerlink cable modem) for the new picture to load. Is there a way to get instant access to other cameras so you don't have to lose your current video?

One last question -- When I clicked on live commentary, I don't get audio -- it just takes 10 seconds or so and I lose my current screen I'm viewing and all I get is a text of the leaderboard :confused:

Thanks for any advise on this -- Pretty cool technology and definitely worth the $20.

KLang
06-07-04, 01:08 PM
Is there a way to get instant access to other cameras so you don't have to lose your current video?

One way would be to open up a different window for each of the camera views you want. Just right click on the camera number and select 'open in new window'.

If they ever actually charge us for this I'll get my moneys worth just being able to watch Friday practice sessions. :thumbup:

BruceS
06-07-04, 01:36 PM
Thanks KLang for the tip -- Is your full screen picture on the PC also somewhat unclear?

How long is the "trial subscriptions" supposed to be for? I didn't get any information when I registered. I was all ready to give credit card info -- but they never asked. :thumbup:

I was then thinking maybe its a month trial for free, but sounds like some of you all have been getting it free for a while. :cool:

KLang
06-07-04, 01:59 PM
Thanks KLang for the tip -- Is your full screen picture on the PC also somewhat unclear?

How long is the "trial subscriptions" supposed to be for?

Yep, pretty unclear in full screen. I think it's a bandwidth limitation of the live streaming.

The trial was originally announced as being for the first two races only. Perhaps they're having trouble getting their commerce software set up?

SteveH
06-07-04, 03:16 PM
I wasn't aware that there were casual fans.

Steve99
06-07-04, 04:56 PM
IOne last question -- When I clicked on live commentary, I don't get audio -- it just takes 10 seconds or so and I lose my current screen I'm viewing and all I get is a text of the leaderboard :confused:

Live Commentary is text. Cam1 usually has the TV announcers in the audio, but only for those sessions that are being broadcast live.

I usually open a window for each camera, one for T&S, and one for commentary (and one for chat). My system really only likes to play 3 or 4 of the videos at once without stuttering, so I find my favorite angles and stick to them. I also mute all cameras except for one.

BruceS
06-07-04, 06:21 PM
Thanks Steve 99 and KLang for the tips--
One thing I did notice is when I opened up one of the drivers audio channels, any audio on that did come on over the audio from the video channels.

Just wish the picture was a bit more clear when maximized, but to watch the race live --I'll deal with it.