http://www.legion.ca/asp/gfx/pix/im_rempoppy.gif

They Shall Not Grow Old,
As We That Are Left Grow Old.

Age Shall Not Weary Them,
Nor The Years Condemn.

At The Going Down Of The Sun,
And In The Morning.

We Shall Remember Them.

Remembrance.mp3 (http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/remembrance.mp3)

Anteater
06-05-04, 09:14 PM
For the history-date challenged, it's the 60th anniversary of D-Day. What an incredible day of bravery and sacrifice! Maybe it's a good time to put "Saving Private Ryan" on the DVD player and reflect on those times.

Nice MP3, devilmaster. A bagpipe band playing "Amazing Grace" always gets to me.

IlliniRacer
06-05-04, 10:52 PM
A bagpipe band playing "Amazing Grace" always gets to me.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

My grandfather was there. He would tell us stories about guys loosing toes and feet due to cold during the Battle of the Bulge and lots of other graphic details. We someone mentioned D-Day, he always changed the subject. Lord only knows what he experienced. RIP Grandpa. I love you and thank you for everything you did. I

RaceGrrl
06-05-04, 11:28 PM
IlliniRacer, I appreciate what your grandfather and other men of his generation did 60 years ago. The best way to honor them is to never forget the sacrifices they made.

Paintergeek
06-06-04, 10:43 PM
Im 29, andhave a deep respect for what people did four our country decades before I was ever even a thought. I simply cant fathom what those boys (yes, many were still just boys) went through. I can handle alot of stupid TV emotion and scoff at it. I can scoff at sad movies. I can scoff at teary eyed weddings. But when I see something like what was on dateline tonight........and see these elderly gentlemen returning to that little villiage they havent seen in 60 years.......returning to the church ruins where the priests were executed for harboring americans.....and to see the emotion overcome them immediately upon seeing it.......I literally cried with him. its among the only thing that I can watch on TV that makes me cry, is seeing a vet share his tale and still get emotional....6 years later.

Thank you to every american who has fought for this country. Then, now, Live, Or dead. Thank you.

RTKar
06-06-04, 10:48 PM
Im 29, andhave a deep respect for what people did four our country decades before I was ever even a thought. I simply cant fathom what those boys (yes, many were still just boys) went through. I can handle alot of stupid TV emotion and scoff at it. I can scoff at sad movies. I can scoff at teary eyed weddings. But when I see something like what was on dateline tonight........and see these elderly gentlemen returning to that little villiage they havent seen in 60 years.......returning to the church ruins where the priests were executed for harboring americans.....and to see the emotion overcome them immediately upon seeing it.......I literally cried with him. its among the only thing that I can watch on TV that makes me cry, is seeing a vet share his tale and still get emotional....6 years later.

Thank you to every american who has fought for this country. Then, now, Live, Or dead. Thank you.

Me too...and I always wonder, what if I had been born 40 years sooner.....

Also, Thanks to all the allied nations, the will of the free world spoke.

Warlock!
06-07-04, 08:24 AM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

...We someone mentioned D-Day, he always changed the subject. Lord only knows what he experienced...
Yup... my pop was there, and he's the same way. I've never pressed for details, I just thank him for all he's done for us.

Warlock!

chop456
06-07-04, 08:54 AM
Thank him for us, too.

My Uncle was in the Battle of the Bulge and was with the first unit to meet up with the Russian Army. He passed away before I was old enough to really understand everything he'd done and show my appreciation. My dad tells stories of checking the mailbox every day while his big brother was in Europe, just hoping that there was something there.

My Dad volunteered for the Air Force when the Korean War broke out. He failed the physical exam and said that when he told my grandfather the news, that's the only time he ever saw him cry.

rocket
06-07-04, 11:03 AM
WWII showed both sides of man, the very worst and the very best. God Bless everyone that put it all on the line and did what had to be done.

Never forgotten.

Thanks Steve...Amazing Grace on the pipes is the one thing that will send chills up my spine...hauntingly powerful. :thumbup: