PDA

View Full Version : The Inside Scoop On Qualifying Night

HolyCrap
06-05-04, 09:52 AM
Holy Crap, that was fun.

I'm not sure if any of you were at the driver autograph session, but it was great to see all the drivers give almost an hour of their time to sit down together and sign whatever fans brought to them. They're trying, and it's the right thing to do.

I had the chance to interview many of them during the session, as I was the MC of the event, prior to being hoisted up into position to announce the qualifying on the public address system.

Some highlights from what the guys said in the interviews for you in case you were not there:

--Nelson said the hair all fits up under the helmet and isn't a bother at all.

--Jimmy said he did not give himself a raise now as a part-owner. In fact he said he took a pay cut.

--Paul rode his bicycle on the Mile with Bruno, as Paul continues to work out quite seriously on a bike.

--Michel joked that Bobby didn't leave him the setup for the car that won the race last year here

--Patrick was the best. He had driven the two-seater giving media members a taste of the ride earlier in the day. I asked him about the little red panic button back there and he said, quote: "Oh yeah, that's the **** the pants button. If the person wants me to stop. No one has hit it yet, but even if they did I wouldn't stop."

--A.J. said the car is yellow simply because that's his owner's favorite color.

--Ryan admits now that I am his lucky charm. You see he came to our studios in person with his girlfriend Wednesday to do an interview, something many drivers wouldn't bother doing. After the interview he turns fastest time in practice. I see him at the autograph session and remind him that I'm his good luck. "Yeah, it's all about WTMJ he says." Well, needless to say after he won the pole I saw him and said, "Well, and I your good luck charm or what?" Ryan answers, "Hey man, you better be here tomorrow night for the race." Too funny. And for the record, I will NOT be at the race Saturday night.

And as Tracy walked in he accosted Checkers, the goofy Milwaukee Mile masscot that's some kind of unknown animal. Paul almost ripped the thing's head off, which was fine with me....that thing is kind of creepy!

GOFAST1
06-05-04, 11:06 AM
I was there, it was great. Actually, I made both sides (of drivers), beleive it or not. It's sad to see so many people got cut off because of time limits. These drivers are such nice guys (well, most of them). Patrick was the coolest. He made a true effort to make eye contact with the fans and smile. That Wilson guy...man, is he tall! All-in-all, a beautiful night. Oh yeah, I saw you there too, but you were busy, so...

Anteater
06-05-04, 08:21 PM
Cool stories; thanks for posting. Gives us the opportunity to know these guys a little better. Was Ryan with a tall blonde? :D

Patrick gets my vote as the most fan-friendly driver in the series; he really seems to enjoy being with fans. And he remembers his fans, too--at Long Beach, he gave me a friendly wave en route to a driver meeting when he saw me smiling at him. :cool:

Rogue Leader
06-05-04, 08:26 PM
Cool stories; thanks for posting. Gives us the opportunity to know these guys a little better. Was Ryan with a tall blonde? :D

Patrick gets my vote as the most fan-friendly driver in the series; he really seems to enjoy being with fans. And he remembers his fans, too--at Long Beach, he gave me a friendly wave en route to a driver meeting when he saw me smiling at him. :cool:

Tag (while I havent met him in person) has to be one of the most fan friendly also. I sent him an email asking him for advice and he responded very promptly and even called me up long distance from Canada and spoke to me on he phone for over an hour (on his dime!) to give me advice. I even email back and forth with him every once in a while because he wanted to know how my attempt at a racing career is going. I can't believe how nice this guy has been, I never believed a sports star in the US would be this fan friendly but he is.