PDA

View Full Version : A news item for all 2-wheelers

Chaos
06-03-04, 08:57 AM
You SURE We're Only Going 50?

DETROIT (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co. (news - web sites) Ltd. is recalling nearly 8,200 model year 2004 motorcycles because of a computer glitch that could prompt their drivers to go too fast, federal safety regulators said on Tuesday.

The program error causes the digital speedometer on some of the motorcycles to understate actual vehicle speed by about 25 percent, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) said.

"This condition can result in the vehicle being driven at an illegal or unsafe speed," NHTSA said in an advisory on its Web site.

It did not elaborate, but state police may already have noticed a disproportionate number of people breaking speed limits lately on late-model Honda motorcycles.

indyfan31
06-03-04, 09:38 AM
TWENTY FIVE PERCENT??? Yikes, how'd they miss that?
They haven't started making the motorcycles in Marysville, have they?

RichK
06-03-04, 12:36 PM
I can just see a bunch of CBR1000RR owners in courtrooms around the country, holding up a memo from Honda to show the judge. :laugh:

indyfan31
06-03-04, 05:06 PM
I can just see a bunch of CBR1000RR owners in courtrooms around the country, holding up a memo from Honda to show the judge. :laugh:

I wonder if that would apply to my '84 Nighthawk, it's a CB700 at heart. :)

oddlycalm
06-03-04, 05:28 PM

Yep, they began production of some motorcycle models back in the 1980's. The Goldwing is ONLY made in the US, and is exported elsewhere as necessary.

oc

dando
06-03-04, 11:07 PM
TWENTY FIVE PERCENT??? Yikes, how'd they miss that?
What's Marysville got to do with the price of sake in Tokyo (living 15 minutes down the road from Marysville...aka:Little Tokyo)? :saywhat: Honda has been making motorcycles in Marysville since '79. linky (http://www.ohio.honda.com/manufacturing/facilities/index.asp ) I don't recall any quality issues with vehicles coming out of the Ohio plants.

-Kevin