PDA

View Full Version : Jenkins gets the hook?

Railbird
06-02-04, 10:27 PM
MarkC has a "strong" rumor that Bitchin' Bob is being replaced by Rick Benjamin.

Ziggy
06-02-04, 10:33 PM
Rick was shocked with the development of Jenkins hiring anyway. Up until the brain trust decided they needed a "marquee" voice, Benjamin had the job.

He deserves a shot. Given what I know, he might have a legit lawsuit (boy, they need another one of those)

Ziggy

Chief
06-02-04, 10:35 PM
It had to happen. Bob's a good guy, just not what we need right now. I sincerely hope this was based on performance and not some political ploy (his performance stood on it's on merit though for dismissal).

I have faith in Benji, he's an excellent professional choice.

Turn7
06-02-04, 10:55 PM
O.K. Munchkin's tune up.....

Ding dong the witch is dead, the witch is dead, the witch is dead.
:cool:

GOFAST1
06-02-04, 11:02 PM
Good!

Audi_A4
06-02-04, 11:25 PM
bring back VARSHA

Chitowncartfreak
06-02-04, 11:31 PM
No offense against Jenkins, but this needs to happen. It doesn't help establish the identity of Champ Car when our lead broadcaster is on the PA at Indy. We need someone who will give it 110%.

RaceGrrl
06-02-04, 11:32 PM
Jenkins sucked. I'm glad he's gone.

pineapple
06-03-04, 12:45 AM
Thank goodness. I can watch the races now without having to drown out the sound of his voice with lots and lots and lots of alcohol.

Whoever made the decision to hire this boob needs to have his keys to the executive washroom revoked.

Hink
06-03-04, 02:04 AM
Jekins sucked.

This year he couldn't even tell the drivers when he saw the cars. That didn't stop him from shutting up.

I bet he just didn't want do.

He deserves to go back to the IRL. He'll be top dog there.

JohnHKart
06-03-04, 06:06 AM
Jenkins was so bad, there was one time in in Monterrey a driver (or two) was doing something on the screen (can't remember if they were going off the track or just passing each other...) and Jenkins actually said" uhhhh" beforeTK stepped in and identified the cars. What a joke!

John

sadams
06-03-04, 06:58 AM
Glad he's gone. Pick the side of the fence your on. No more fence sitters.

Benji will do well, though I agree with bring back VARSHA.

audi quattro
06-03-04, 07:02 AM
Get beekhuis back while we're at it.
Either fish or dd can go............

Insomniac
06-03-04, 07:21 AM
Hopefully this rumor is true.

chop456
06-03-04, 07:37 AM
Get beekhuis back while we're at it.
Either fish or dd can go............

Beekhuis was on the Monterrey telecast.

4wheeldrifter
06-03-04, 07:41 AM
Please make this rumour true. No offense Jenks, but your job in the TonyLeague is waiting. It's your true calling.

Go be with the few, the not so proud, the Gomers.

audi quattro
06-03-04, 08:34 AM
Beekhuis was on the Monterrey telecast.

I know, jon is far more champcar savvy.
Genuine excitement too.

G.
06-03-04, 10:44 AM
I don't know who Rick Benji is. Will the chemistry between TK and RB be better than with Jenkins? IMO, TK has been way off this year (ok, two races) compared to last. It seemed like he was just waiting to dig Jenks out of a hole. (I just reread that sentence. Man! I DO have a way of stating the obvious!)

So, will we get the old Kendalschlong back?

audi quattro
06-03-04, 11:44 AM
I don't know who Rick Benji is. Will the chemistry between TK and RB be better than with Jenkins? IMO, TK has been way off this year (ok, two races) compared to last. It seemed like he was just waiting to dig Jenks out of a hole. (I just reread that sentence. Man! I DO have a way of stating the obvious!)

So, will we get the old Kendalschlong back?

I don't know how you could be excited about anything when sitting next to Jenkins at a champcar event.
Just no chemistry between tommy and jenkins.
Benjamin is good.
Perhaps a bit reserved, but maybe can be straight man to kendalshclong?

JLMannin
06-03-04, 11:58 AM
Rick Benjamin is good. Back when Spike was TNN (as in The Nashville Network) and I was a NASCAR fan, I especially looked forward to the TNN telecasts because of RB. When I heard that Champcar was going to Spike, I was really excited, as I assumed Rick was part of the deal.

KLang
06-03-04, 12:00 PM
If true this seems to indicate that someone is listening to the fans. I wonder who is making these decisions now?

RaceGrrl
06-03-04, 01:34 PM
Kalkoven has said that they are paying attention to feedback- both positive and negative.

In the ESPN.com Oreovicz article Kalkoven said this about the qualifying issues in Monterrey:

"The problem is we've got a number of different constituencies," he said. "There are the teams, the fans at the race track, and the fans who follow us on television, and we're trying to provide entertainment for two of those while being a vehicle for the teams and the sponsors.

"Yes, we haven't got it quite right. But we listen. For the qualifying, we were criticized in Long Beach for having long periods of nothing happening on the track. We tried to change that, and we realized we went too far. Now we've gone back. We'll admit when we get it wrong and we'll change."

Yes, KK was talking specifically about qualifying, but I think that attitude is what we're seeing at OWRS these days. They do pay attention. Now let's hope that they bring Jon back.

Insomniac
06-03-04, 03:12 PM
I know, jon is far more champcar savvy.
Genuine excitement too.

He used to drive one. I don't think you can be more excited than that about something. :)

Turn7
06-03-04, 04:00 PM
It sort of sucks to hear about anybody losing their job, even ol' jinks. However, when I watched magazine show earlier in the day and Rick Benjamin was doing some of the show, I was really impressed with the way he seemed genuinely excited about the series, the race and the job that he had without being over the top and fake.

I thought wow, this guy is what we need in the booth. With all of the complaining that had occurred for a solid month between Long Beach and Monterrey, I thought maybe he would be around come race time but, personality plus disgraced the set again.

This isn't baseball and hopefully it doesn't take three strikes before we get an out.

JoeBob
06-03-04, 04:34 PM
There is some talk that Derek Daly may get the gig. Nice of a guy as Daly is, I hope it is Benjamin in the booth. Daly is a good 3rd man in the booth, but I don't think he can carry the load as the primary voice of the series. Benjamin can.

RaceGrrl
06-03-04, 04:35 PM
I'm okay with Benjamin as long as he refers to the cars by their sponsors rather than just by their numbers. Derek annoys me. Well, who doesn't annoy me? :p

indyfan31
06-03-04, 05:03 PM
ChampWeb is reporting it as fact now.

Jenkins out... (http://www.champweb.net/headline.php?t=h&id=25589)

RacinM3
06-03-04, 05:28 PM
buh-bye.

sundaydriver2
06-03-04, 05:38 PM
Maybe the on-line petition worked? :D

Bye bye Gomer shill, it wasn't nice knowing you.
:gomer:

JohnHKart
06-03-04, 05:47 PM
I've always liked Rick Benjamin, back when he was on TNN and also on Speed doing Trans Am and sports car races. He's a solid, likeable professional, like Mike Joy, without any annoying tendencies to complain about, although I'm sure someone will find them on here.

John

oddlycalm
06-03-04, 07:56 PM
This is a well timed change. Not giving an unpopular decision (Jenkins) time to fester is smart business.

oc

Railbird
06-03-04, 08:38 PM
the best thing about this is that we might have a chance to discuss an event without ever other post being a b*tch about the booth..

"might" being the opperative word

Madmaxfan2
06-03-04, 09:45 PM
I do feel bad that Jenks out of a job, but he should have known given his past he had a short rope to work with, he performed poorly, and went back to IMS as an employee. Not exactly well thought out plan of execution by Bob. His heart was probalby not in it. I will give Rick to try, but I still think that insigthful "Bob Costas" type of our sport has yet to be identified.

Wally
06-03-04, 10:56 PM
Best news I have had in weeks.... :thumbup:

jdcooper
06-04-04, 06:45 AM
This whole episode is a pretty interesting demonstration of the power of internet discussion groups. (I suspect other ChampCar boards were having the same Jenkins controversy) Now however, if we complain about RB we'll be seen as incorrigible. As the proverb said "be carefull of what you wish for...it might come true."

4wheeldrifter
06-04-04, 07:41 AM
There is some talk that Derek Daly may get the gig. Nice of a guy as Daly is, I hope it is Benjamin in the booth. Daly is a good 3rd man in the booth, but I don't think he can carry the load as the primary voice of the series. Benjamin can.

Agree. Plus the brogue might be a little tiring.

D@mmit Varsha, why can't you do both gigs? I miss Big Head Bob.

Turn7
06-04-04, 07:48 AM
I don't think it took complaints from message boards to get Jinks the hook.

The people in charge didn't get in the position they are in by accepting mediocrity from employees. They are accustomed to having people that are as dedicated to a goal and won't accept anything less. Jinks either ran out of skills or was trying to undermine the goal.

Either way, he shouldn't be surprised with the outcome.

Chiphead_Dave
06-05-04, 04:20 AM
There is only 1 thing that could make this better.

Hearing that Bob and FTG were going to live far
far away to fulfill their undiscovered love for each
other.

Oh and jdcooper what other champcar boards are you
talking about?

Dougrun
06-05-04, 01:22 PM
without posting links..

champweb forums
paddocktalk forums
champcarfanatics forums
and here.

It's almost too many forums. CW and PT are "nicer" boards. for good raw no-bull stuff I like to come here and CF forums.

Dave99
06-05-04, 02:57 PM
I would normally feel compassion for someone who was "furloughed" but Jenkins is the exception.

He didn't deserve to be in ChampCar's booth and his underwhelming, unenthused preformance proved that. Translated: he didn't care and it showed.

No doubt he'll find work soon enough, even if only for ESPN's 2004 Thrills And Spills. Till then maybe he'll just set up a Kool-Aid stand out front of IMS' sacred pearly gates.

Anteater
06-05-04, 08:09 PM
I heard Jenkins apologize to Tommy after his first time on-air at Long Beach--he knew he was terrible! Tommy practically had to spoon-feed him info at times. Can't think why Jenkins was hired to begin with, and I'm glad he has been replaced. If he wanted to keep the job, he should have worked harder.

TrueBrit
06-05-04, 09:04 PM
Good riddance!!!
A disgusting TG-Apologist, and defender of the Inferior Retiree's League had NO business being affiliated with this series in the first place...

Insomniac
06-06-04, 06:09 PM
The race announcing was much better. Thank you OWRS!