PDA

View Full Version : If you were a scalper

SteveH
06-01-04, 04:23 PM
Would you renew your ticket order for the Indy 500?

After this year, with so many open seats and even more free tickets distributed, I wonder if scalpers will give up renewing the blocks of tickets they have had for years. Could result in even fewer tickets sold next year.

Napoleon
06-01-04, 04:38 PM
Steve, IMO only an idiot 2 or 3 years ago would have been buying tickets to resell. By then the writing was on the wall.

Turn7
06-01-04, 05:20 PM
I think it is dependant on the seat locations.

If the ticket brokerage is purchasing tickets that are readily obtainable via the ticket office or ebay at face value the decision would be to drop them. However, if the seats are in a prime location and can still pull a premium price then renewal would be a no brainer.

Ziggy
06-02-04, 12:05 AM
That's horsesheet

Here is how it went down this year. Scalpers paid one for two, then sold the tickets at a reduced price. The only people taking a bath on the tickets are the ones who pay full price through renewal

Ziggy

Robstar
06-02-04, 12:10 AM
However, if the seats are in a prime location and can still pull a premium price then renewal would be a no brainer.

Exactly - It wasn't as if NO ONE was there...

Ziggy
06-02-04, 12:21 AM
Read the post guys

No one that I spoke with, and I spoke with plenty of them, was buying tickets at face value. I spoke with scalpers on both Friday and Saturday.

They were not even trying to re-sell the tickets for face value. Deals were a plenty. If you dickered with them too much, they sent you to the IMS ticket window, this was a standard brush off manouver. "they got plenty"

Brickman
06-02-04, 01:11 AM
Definately a buyers market. It would be interesting to know how many seats are held by scalpers. Makes no sense to keep renewing and selling for a loss. If race fans didn't like Buddy's drive this year then they might as well not renew. I doubt there is anybody here who renews, and dumps their tickets every year, but I would say there are a few who still buy or get tickets to the race.

scanman
06-02-04, 06:49 AM
tg... Hey roger, how can we get more people to buy tickets to the 497.5

rp...Why don't we pull out the old "unification" thing again, maybe we
can get some of those ChampCar fans to buy tickets AGAIN...
We should be able to jerk them around like we do with the
hundreds of loyal fans we have, just like with a carrot and a donkey...

tg...Yah they are suckers for punishment...

Tongue In Cheek... ;)