PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Sham?

Wheel-Nut
06-01-04, 10:53 AM
I missed his accident. What happened to Sam? Was he busy looking for the "pin" and hit the wall?

Brickman
06-01-04, 11:04 AM
I missed his accident. What happened to Sam? Was he busy looking for the "pin" and hit the wall?

He got caught up in someone else's accident. Not sure who was to blame for it, but Manning banged a few wheels at Phoenix and it's not like Ray hasn't banged a few walls at Indy. Haven't heard who's to blame but Sam did visit the Target pit on the walk back.

Purple Panic
06-01-04, 11:14 AM
I got a good look at it. Looked like Manning went for an outside pass around Ray and Mr. 2% Bodyfat smooshed him like a cicada. Sammy was a bit too close behind Ray at the time and got clobbered in the ensuing chaos through no fault of his own.

Gentleman that he is, Manning assumed responsibility for the crash in his interview, but it sure looked to me like Ray was at fault.

Insomniac
06-01-04, 01:24 PM
I got a good look at it. Looked like Manning went for an outside pass around Ray and Mr. 2% Bodyfat smooshed him like a cicada. Sammy was a bit too close behind Ray at the time and got clobbered in the ensuing chaos through no fault of his own.

Gentleman that he is, Manning assumed responsibility for the crash in his interview, but it sure looked to me like Ray was at fault.

It didn't help that Ray had to finish 10th or higher to stay in business (so they said). And the most interesting part was that a Penske pit stop put Sam in that bad position. They waved him out too early and a piece of the vent hose broke off inside the car and he had to stop a second time to get it removed from first place.

Joe in LA
06-01-04, 02:10 PM
Ray was coming out of the turn very slow--due to someone(s) in front of him. Manning and Hornish were closing very quickly, and Manning made a risky move to the outside of Ray. Ray said he saw him, and IMHO, Ray was going slow enough that he could have avoided the accident. Manning's move MIGHT have been OK on a really trustworthy driver, but not on a guy who spanks the wall every year. Hornish was really and innocent victim on this one, although I don't know how he and Manning would have avoided rearending Ray if Manning hadn't gone outside.

Jervis Tetch 1
06-01-04, 11:52 PM
Sam the Sham was innocent in this one, but he's fooling himself if he thought he had a chance to win.

Ziggy
06-02-04, 12:07 AM
Joe

That someone in front of him was Al Unser Jr. He was the culprit and cause of this accident by not holding a line coming off the corner

Ziggy

4wheeldrifter
06-02-04, 08:20 AM

Reader's Digest version: He was Gweg Way'd.

Wheel-Nut
06-02-04, 10:08 AM
Thanks. Maybe he should change his name to Andretti during the month of May.

Joe in LA
06-02-04, 11:57 AM
Joe

That someone in front of him was Al Unser Jr. He was the culprit and cause of this accident by not holding a line coming off the corner

Ziggy

Thanks. I was so stunned by the three cars heading for the pit wall that I didn't pay a lot of attention to what was in front of them. I guess that was the one memorable moment of a pretty unmemorable month for Al.

TroyM1
06-03-04, 07:19 PM
What kind of Toyota did Roger have that everyone else didn't? Helio and Sam seemed to be the only Toyota's that could run with the Hondas. Perhaps one with with a higher rev-limiter?

pchall
06-03-04, 08:07 PM
What kind of Toyota did Roger have that everyone else didn't? Helio and Sam seemed to be the only Toyota's that could run with the Hondas. Perhaps one with with a higher rev-limiter?

I bet Roger has the only Toyotas that aren't sealed as part of the lease deal.