PDA

View Full Version : Test driver swap in Maranello ...

Ed_Severson
02-06-03, 11:21 AM
Burti out, Massa in at Ferrari (http://www.dailyf1.com/en/news/news.php?id=3046)

It seems that Luciano Burti has asked for a release from his testing duties at Ferrari to pursue a race seat somewhere, and Ferrari has taken the opportunity to scoop up Felipe Massa as their new test driver.

Interesting. I wonder if Burti has gotten any offers on this side of the pond, or if he's just overly optimistic. At any rate, early February hardly seems like the time of year to quit your job and pursue a race seat, but to each his own, I guess.

Turn7
02-06-03, 12:27 PM
That does seem like a very odd thing to happen at this point in the pre season.

Maybe he thought that if he became a test driver for a lesser profile team that his opportunity to move up would increase.

If he took a testing role with Jordan or Jag or something the chances of them making a mid season change in drivers is exponetially greater than being able to take over for the chin or Rubens during the year.

Or it could be that he just doesn't like the atmosphere he found himself to be in.

Joe in LA
02-06-03, 03:47 PM
Maybe this was a nice way of firing Burti and replacing him? I can't believe Burti is in the hunt for an F1 seat.

Dr. Corkski
02-06-03, 09:13 PM
Massa has so much raw talent that he just needs to find a way to control it. A test role is perfect for him, and you can tell truebrit to forget about Ferrari taking on a French-Canadian driver after Michael Schumacher retires. They are basically grooming Massa for that seat now.

Burti is probably heading to the TWS hoping to pull a Zonta.

molive
02-07-03, 02:49 PM
I feel kinda sorry for Burti, who was a good promise when he entered Jaguar, but switching to Prost in the middle of the season was very bad for him, and finally that horrific crash at Spa put him out for a long time.

I hope he can bounce back from this series of let-downs. Rumours here in Brazil put him in the Nissan WS. Good luck Luciano! :thumbup: