PDA

View Full Version : In todays NY Times

Napoleon
05-30-04, 11:08 AM
May 30, 2004
Stalled Indy 500 Tries to Restart Engine
By DAVE CALDWELL

NDIANAPOLIS, May 29 — Eight floors beneath Tony George's perch in a concrete-and-steel pagoda at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, a big crowd lingered at a sun-splashed rock concert Thursday. It was a festival, a happy scene.

George, 44, the racetrack's president, would seem to be on the winning side of the bitter 10-year feud between open-wheel racing series. But there has been a cost.

By almost every measure, the Indianapolis 500, once the greatest auto race in the world, has been scrubbed of much of its prestige as a result of the divide between George's Indy Racing League and the rival Championship Auto Racing Teams.

George, the grandson of Tony Hulman, who bought the two-and-a-half-mile Indianapolis oval from Eddie Rickenbacker in 1945 and restored its glory, despises the term "civil war," and he is not exactly sure what he has won, or even if the battle is over.

"You ask people who won the Civil War in America," he said in an interview in the pagoda, "and no one did."

Almost every major owner and driver who stayed with CART when George formed the I.R.L. has returned to the Indianapolis 500, which will be run Sunday for the 88th time.

Included is the pre-eminent open-wheel car owner, Roger Penske, whose drivers have won 13 Indy 500's. Penske has become an advocate of one open-wheel racing series and sounds as if he has become a big fan of George's.

"Tony George is on the ground," Penske said. "He's not running things from his office."

Buddy Rice, who won the pole for Sunday's race, drives a car co-owned by the talk-show host David Letterman and Bobby Rahal, who won the Indy 500 in 1986 and was one of George's fiercest critics when he started the I.R.L.

"We just have to make this series the strongest series," Rahal said of the I.R.L., "and let the Darwinian effect take its course."

CART declared bankruptcy late last year, and its remnants, now called the Champ Car World Series, has few recognizable drivers and no major television contract. The I.R.L. announced a contract extension Thursday with ABC and ESPN through 2009.

"What we really want is to grow the Indy 500," said Loren Matthews, the senior vice president for programming at ABC Sports.

One Man Drives the Show

But there is plenty of room. Many people in the sport believe that the only way for the Indy 500 to reclaim some of its prominence is for the two series to be united, and that only one person really has the power to make that happen.

"Tony's the key," said Michael Andretti, a former driver who owns four cars that will participate in Sunday's race. "Tony's the guy with the power. Tony's the guy who could initiate making it happen, and happen sooner than later."

The downside for George, the Indy 500 and the I.R.L. — and it appears to be formidable — is that open-wheel racing has only recently regained traction. The sport has been lapped by Nascar, the stock car series that is a marketing phenomenon.

Viewership of the Indy 500 has fallen drastically, from 12 million in 1995 — before the I.R.L. split from CART — to 6.7 million last year, which was slightly below 40 percent of the 16.8 million who watched the 2003 Daytona 500.

"The whole television landscape has changed over the last 10 years," George said.

One of the many traditions of the Indianapolis 500 is that the race starts at 11 a.m. local time (noon Eastern). Speedway and network officials have acknowledged that television ratings would improve if the race were run later in the day, or even at night.

Daytona International Speedway, a two-and-a-half-mile oval that has a slightly rounder configuration than Indy's, has lights. Lighting the Brickyard would be a considerable and expensive task, speedway and I.R.L. officials said.

"There's a huge logistical hurdle to overcome," said Ken Ungar, the I.R.L.'s senior vice president for business affairs. "The issue has been floated at various times, but I'm not sure what momentum it has at this point."

For the second year in a row, there was a question of whether the traditional 33-car Indy 500 starting grid would be filled. It was, but barely. No car was bumped from the field during qualifying sessions, robbing the race of some drama.

"Doesn't mean the quality's not there, or the competition," George said.

But the Indy 500 is not perceived to be a hot ticket. The speedway will not release attendance figures or even its capacity. A reporter from The Indianapolis Star walked through the enormous grandstands and counted 257,325 seats.

It is almost certain that Sunday's race will not be sold out. A visitor to the Indy 500 Web site on Friday could buy $80 grandstand seats between Turns 3 and 4, with blocks of 50, 5 consecutive rows of 10, available.

A block of 50 $75 tickets in the same grandstand was also available for the Brickyard 400, an annual Nascar race at the speedway that began in August 1994. But the seats were 18 rows lower, a much worse vantage point.

Not the Only Game in Town

George, who also started the United States Grand Prix for Formula One cars in 2000, said the Indy 500's importance had been diluted.

"We're not just a one-horse town anymore," George said. "We've got a whole stable of animals to feed and take care of."

Moreover, Indianapolis is not a professional sports backwater. The Indiana Pacers are in the N.B.A. Eastern Conference finals and, judging by the attention they get in the newspapers and on television, are a bigger story than the Indy 500.

The Indianapolis Colts, led by quarterback Peyton Manning, lost to the New England Patriots in the American Football Conference championship game last season.

The Indy 500 competes for attention inside and outside the racetrack.

"I was watching a TV show about the Indy 500 in the early 60's," said Rick Mears, the four-time Indy 500 champion, who works for Penske. "And if you closed your eyes, you would have thought they were talking about today — not enough cars, not enough drivers. It was not a lot different.

"But it's gaining momentum, which is what we need. It takes time for stuff to happen. It's not going to happen overnight."

When George made the Indy 500 the centerpiece of the I.R.L. in 1996, most of the top open-wheel drivers did not follow. That race was won by Buddy Lazier, who had not qualified higher than 23rd and had not finished higher than 14th in three previous Indy 500's.

But the race regained momentum when Penske returned in 2001, then fielded two full-time I.R.L. teams in 2002 and 2003. Toyota and Honda, the rival Japanese auto manufacturers, jumped from CART to the I.R.L. before the 2003 season.

Prominent drivers also found their way back, including Michael Andretti, a son of Mario, who retired after the 2003 season. His four cars are considered to have good chances to win Sunday's race.

Rahal's three cars are also top contenders. He said Thursday that he considered the 33-car field to be every bit as deep as the 1995 field. Rahal finished third in that race, his last Indy 500.

"This," Rice, the pole winner, said, "is the World Series for us."

But it still is only one race, and two open-wheel series still exist. Four months ago, George lost a bid to acquire the assets of CART in bankruptcy court. He offered more than $13 million, or $10 million more than the group headed by Paul Gentilozzi. But Gentilozzi's group promised to honor the contracts and keep the series alive.

"I like Tony, and I consider him as a friend, but sometimes, with friends, you have to show some tough love," said Gentilozzi, 54, who controls Champ Car with two others. "It's almost as if their financial arrogance is not making them see the right path."

Two Circuits, Two Visions

The I.R.L. and Champ Car have radically different philosophies. George intended the I.R.L. to be a series of races on ovals in the United States. Many Champ Car races are on road courses, like the one in Long Beach, Calif.

George formed the I.R.L. to be affordable and accessible for car owners, but Gentilozzi said it was neither and would be at risk without the backing of Honda and Toyota. What George has, Gentilozzi said, is a factory-based series, like Nascar.

"They are completely and totally reliant on factory money," Gentilozzi said.

George ostensibly formed the I.R.L. as a way to develop American drivers. One of the I.R.L.'s early stars was Tony Stewart, a confident young driver from Rushville, Ind. He left the I.R.L. after the 1998 season to join Nascar, where he is a star today.

A United States-born driver has not won the Indy 500 since Eddie Cheever Jr. in 1998. Gentilozzi considers that to be a problem. He said the I.R.L. — or open-wheel racing in general — would not be the same until it developed more American drivers.

"Hélio Castroneves is a great driver," Gentilozzi said, referring to the Brazilian driver who won the Indy 500 in 2001 and 2002 for Penske. "But he's never going to be A. J. Foyt or Mario Andretti in the American consumer's mind."

Champ Car has only two standout drivers, Jimmy Vasser and Paul Tracy. Its races are broadcast on Spike TV, formerly TNN, which is aimed at men 18 to 34.

Gentilozzi said that Champ Car was determined to stay in business but that there could be a truce. The I.R.L. would benefit, he said, from the addition of some of Champ Car's races.

George said: "All we're trying to do is to do what we're doing, and that is to build the best series we can and let the chips fall where they may. I really want Indy-car racing to be where it deserves to be: the premier form of motor sports."

George said he had learned a lot since March 11, 1994, when he announced plans for the I.R.L., which held its first race in 1996. He said he had made a lot of mistakes and realized he was unpopular even among some Indy-car fans.

His family has been involved in racing for nearly 60 years, George said, so he is not grabbing for power. He said he simply wanted to form a streamlined, centralized organization.

"You can't please people all the time," George said. "You have to have the conviction and commitment to do what you think is right. You can convince the public and the competitors that you have the best interests in their minds. It's not perfect by any means. But we've tried to build."

Railbird
05-30-04, 11:19 AM
interesting

but at the end of the day US formula racing is in the tank and one guy has to take the responsibility for that.

Hot Rod Otis
05-30-04, 11:35 AM
interesting

but at the end of the day US formula racing is in the tank and one guy has to take the responsibility for that.

Now now, its not Tonys fault.

Doing my best Turn13 imitation.

No its the Boycott, the bad will that came from the Boycott, the lingering residual bad vibes from the Boycott, the leftover animosity from the Boycott, and the Boycotters themselves who bear the sole responsibility for the problems that Indy faces today. It was the Boycott and the Boycotters who took the wind out of "our" sails. Thankfully Tony acted when he did or the 500 would be in worse shape. Setting in place needed cost controls, an ovalcentric schedule with :cool: the main focus being on the US marketplace :cool: isthe right path to be on. If not for the Boycott and the bad will and ill feeling that the Boycott and the Boycotters left behind, this wouldn't be happeneing Thats why the Boycott was such a damaging event. What happened before the Boycott which caused the Boycotters to Boycott in the first place is of no consequence whatever to the current state of the Indy500 and US openwheel racing. If only the Boycotters hadn't Boycotted. But Tony's on the right track and hopefully sometime soon we'll be able to emerge from the long shadow of the Boycott and the damage the Boycotters caused with their Boycott. :cool:

racer2c
05-30-04, 12:06 PM
No one won the American Civil War!?!?!? I want my college tuition back!!!

JT265
05-30-04, 12:14 PM
Great stuff HRO! :thumbup:

But I would say that the only thing you missed is that in T(okyoRose)13's rant, boycott is expressed with a capital "B", as in Boycott. ;)

Mary
05-30-04, 12:46 PM
"You ask people who won the Civil War in America," he said in an interview in the pagoda, "and no one did."

My ancestors were captured, brought to this country in chains, on slave ships.

I live as a free person.

I know which side won, Tony.

Mary

rosawendel
05-30-04, 12:53 PM
another, similar viewpoint, from elton alexander of the cleveland plain dealer:Back home again in Indy, tradition has hit the bricks (http://www.cleveland.com/autoracing/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/108590949543842.xml)

"Indianapolis- Once again there will be hundreds of thousands of people packed into the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the 88th running of the Indianapolis 500. There will be 33 cars on the grid. The sight of the cars coming out of Turn 4 to start the race at better than 200 mph will be breathtaking.

Beyond that, this is not the Indianapolis 500 most have grown up with.

This is not the place where Brickyard veterans and several former Indy winners do battle. This is not a race for experimentation and innovation.

This isn't even the Indy Racing League showcase IMS president Tony George promised nearly a decade ago.

The IRL has turned into the very thing it was formed to prevent. The cost to play is high, and the powerbrokers are the engine manufacturers - Honda, Toyota and Chevrolet. And the Indianapolis 500, which has kept American open-wheel racing alive, is showing cracks in the foundation because of it.

For the second straight season not one car was bumped from the 33-car grid. In fact, there was speculation until the final day that there would not be enough entrants to fill the 33-car field. " [continued]

sometimes i slam elton, because sometimes he misses the mark, but he seems to have hit it here....

nrc
05-30-04, 12:59 PM
I'm convinced that Tony George has no brains. He has some kind of mucus that builds up in the empty cavity in his head and occassionally runs out his mouth.

Ankf00
05-30-04, 02:21 PM
No one won the American Civil War!?!?!? I want my college tuition back!!!
interestingly enough they're giving me $1000 of it back for having gotten rid of me w/in 4 years :)

Peter Venkman
05-30-04, 03:56 PM
"He said he had made a lot of mistakes and realized he was unpopular even among some Indy-car fans."

The largest understatement that I've heard in some time, and Railbird is correct in his statement.

Mr. Vengeance
05-30-04, 03:58 PM
"We just have to make this series the strongest series," Rahal said of the I.R.L., "and let the Darwinian effect take its course."

With every day that goes by, I hate Rahal a little bit more.

Amanda B.'s Mom
05-30-04, 04:36 PM
Greed and Money often drive people to extremes. AS long as there are deep pockets in the IRL factory sponsors the money will flow. But one has to wonder what the low attendance and TV ratings are doing to the series.

Dunno if I agree with this statement:
"Champ Car has only two standout drivers, Jimmy Vasser and Paul Tracy. Its races are broadcast on Spike TV, formerly TNN, which is aimed at men 18 to 34."

What about Patrick, Bruno and Michel? Yes, both Jimmy and Paul have been around a while, but there is some defrinate talent there. Maybe SPike needs to "exapand" their audience? How many people here are not males 18-34?

oddlycalm
05-30-04, 04:51 PM
I really want Indy-car racing to be where it deserves to be: the premier form of motor sports."

Proof positive that he doesn't mix that Koolaid in a well ventilated area.

oc