PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Memories

rocket
05-30-04, 06:45 AM
Sure it may be redunadant, but I've though about this much lately and I'd like to share some. First off I know it's not about the picnics and racing. Thanks, to all those who have given all they did so we could do the things we do. Spouses, children, grandchildren and friends have been lost too many times along this long road. Two places I've never been and would like to visit with my daughter Brittany are the Vietnam Memorial and now the WWII Memorial. I've never served but I know many who have, and I think it's important that the younger generations have a good grasp on how ugly...albeit necesary war is sometimes. (no political statements here please)

Well I woke up this morning to the sound of thunder...it seems like I've been doing that for the last 3 weeks...so I decided to type this out. I really started thinking about this about a week ago when I went to see Grandma. She is recovering from a bad kidney infection that could have done her in at the tender age of 90. She's recovering fine now, and the subject came up of plans for Memorial Day. Well when I was younger, and back before Grandpa passed, this day and the 4th of July were the 2 days during the summer I really looked forward to. These days were always filled with family, fun and friends. It was a rolling picnic that would switch houses each year between the Coyle's and the Day's place. Each would host one and the following year it would switch. They'd supply the drinks and you would bring a dish to share, and whatever kind of meat you wanted for the grill. I remember Mr. Morrison(no relation to Jim) was the grill master. You could alway count on some sort of enetertainment from him. We would always see the same people at each picninc each year and it was always a load of fun. The 500 would always be on, and it was the main focuse during that time, but before and after it was about the beer, brats, dogs, and burgers. It was a time when folks would let loose and really enjoy the moment, it was always a blast.
Grandma really enjoyed hearing this from me, almost like she knew how much the memories like this are appreciated, and the fact that I was talking about something that she enjoyed so many years ago too. The short term memory is very bad, but she knew everything that I was talking about. With everyone in my family now all grown up, and my brothers with kids and wives, it's hard to get together for stuff like this regularly anymore. Maybe that's why I try and do so much with Brittany, the camping, and this year, spring break in Cabo San Lucas, and a trip down to the USGP on Fathers day. I hope she realizes that I do this stuff to really broaden her horizons and to share with her new experiences. Then someday when I'm old and grey, she'll be sitting there reminicsing with me about all of the fun things we did, and it will bring a smile to my face.
In many ways I'm a traditionalist...I like that kinda thing, being able to count on seeing the same folks and having a good time. That's a big thing I always look forward to on race weekends. Yes I love the racing, but I look forward to seeing all of the people I normaly don't in my day to day routine. Yes even SeanO and Rahalnut :p :) .

Looking forward to seeing everyone again, and making new friends...sharing a drink or three...reliving old memories, and making new ones. Cheers all :)
Happy Memorial Day
Thanks
Joe

RTKar
05-30-04, 07:44 AM
....In many ways I'm a traditionalist...I like that kinda thing, being able to count on seeing the same folks and having a good time....

Me too. :thumbup: ...nice post.

RaceGrrl
06-01-04, 12:29 AM
Joe,
Thanks for the positive post. It's really important that you do these kinds of family things with Brit. I still fondly remember most of our family vacations and family gatherings. My mom's side of the family is large, so it's hard to get us all together. Sadly, these days it only happens when there's a funeral. In a couple of weeks, me and nrc will be going to Hilton Head for a family vacation with my parents, my three brothers and their families. Mom and Dad decided that they wanted us all together for a family vacation. We'll see how it goes... vacations that made happy childhood memories might not be so fun as an adult. :saywhat:

Memorial Day wasn't a big deal in my family. Until Richard and I started dating, I didn't pay much attention to the holiday. His family always went to the cemetary to plant flowers on "Decoration Day." It's a tradition that the two of us continue to observe. Even though we don't have active service members in our family, both his sister and my brother served, and I give thanks every Memorial Day that the flowers I'm planting aren't in remembrance of them.